Chocolate Milk

Options
So I have heard over and over again and read many articles about chocolate milk being one of the best recovery drinks/foods.

I went to the grocery store for chocolate milk, figured I might as well give it a try, but it is SO HIGH IN CALORIES!!!!! The best I could find was 150 calories for 8 ounces!!!!!!!! Any suggestions on where I can find something w/maybe a bit less calories?

Replies

• fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    Did you check the Chocolate Silk?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    So I have heard over and over again and read many articles about chocolate milk being one of the best recovery drinks/foods.

I went to the grocery store for chocolate milk, figured I might as well give it a try, but it is SO HIGH IN CALORIES!!!!! The best I could find was 150 calories for 8 ounces!!!!!!!! Any suggestions on where I can find something w/maybe a bit less calories?
    Have you checked out Almond Milk light? They have it in Chocolate, Vanilla and original. I don't know the exact stats but do know it's far less cals on the Vanilla than regular milk.

Just a thought :wink:

Becca♥
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    make your own with skin milk and light chocolate syrup?
    i'm not sure what the calories of that would be off the top of my head.
  • lecarter
    lecarter Posts: 15
    Options
    It is high in calories, so like anything, drink it in moderation. I totally agree that it is the BEST sports drink. I look for chocolate milk that is made with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup and usually water it down with 1/2 fat free plain milk and 1/2 chocolate milk. Enjoy!
  • sweetrevenge
    Options

Have you checked out Almond Milk light? They have it in Chocolate, Vanilla and original. I don't know the exact stats but do know it's far less cals on the Vanilla than regular milk.

Becca♥

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Almond Milk. Never tried the chocolate but may have to give that a try. When I first gave up cow's milk over 2 years ago, I tried soy milk (which I used for probably a year), rice milk, coconut milk and finally found Almond Milk.....Almond Milk....Does a body good....and damn yummy!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I have seen people post the same thing, but I don't agree with the logic, since the chocolate would add sugar that I don't see as beneficial. I use a ready made protein shake by Premier, happens to be chocolate flavored, has only 1 gram of sugar, if I remember correctly, and 160 calories for 32 grams of protein from an 11 oz container. I usually only drink 1/2 of it at a time, so if you wanted more volume, I see no reason why you couldn't mix 1/2 of it with 1/2 to 1 cup of milk. Just a thought.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Blue Diamond Unsweetend Chocolate Almond Milk
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 8 oz. (240 ml)

Amount per Serving

Calories 45 Calories from Fat 30

% Daily Value *
    Total Fat 3.5g 5%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Sodium 180mg 8%
    Potassium 230mg 7%
    Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 2g 4%

Vitamin A 10%
    Calcium 20%
    Iron 4%
    Vitamin D 25%
    Vitamin E 50%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 70.0% Carbs 26.7%
    Protein 17.8%
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    make your own with skin milk and light chocolate syrup?
    i'm not sure what the calories of that would be off the top of my head.
    I haven't bought the light syrup for a long time but when I used it in the past, mmm tasted not awhole lot different to me than the regular.

Good for a treat and to get some calcium in for folks that don't like plain milk.

Great idea Pariah :drinker: <~~~chocolate milk haha

Becca♥
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My husband subscribes to Runner's World and the "best postrun food" in their 'Best of Running" issue is chocolate milk...so there is obvious truth to that. However, they didn't mention anything about brand or calorie content. So, good luck finding something with a lower calorie content...if you do, let us know please!
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Oh, and they described it as "an ideal blend of carbs and protein for tired muscles that works as well as fancy recovery drinks."
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    There's a mix you can order online called Moo Magic. They're little packets like the individual Crystal Light packets. You just mix it in with a cup of milk. I've tried it and it was very tasty, but since I can't find it in any stores, I don't use it.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The point of the chocolate milk is the ratio of macronutrients in it, including the carbs (and subsequent calories). Studies have shown it to be an excellent recovery drink. I would mix my own up rather than buy a premixed store-bought chocolate milk.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    The point of the chocolate milk is the ratio of macronutrients in it, including the carbs (and subsequent calories). Studies have shown it to be an excellent recovery drink. I would mix my own up rather than buy a premixed store-bought chocolate milk.

I mixed skim milk with chocolate Ovaltine. It isn't calorie free, but just like anything, you have to build it in to your allowance.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

The chocolate Almond breeze is good if you put it in a blender it becomes a pudding consistancy so good for shakes

Becca♥

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Almond Milk. Never tried the chocolate but may have to give that a try. When I first gave up cow's milk over 2 years ago, I tried soy milk (which I used for probably a year), rice milk, coconut milk and finally found Almond Milk.....Almond Milk....Does a body good....and damn yummy!
  • romero2006da
    romero2006da Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try Yoohoo! 100 calories:)
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    This is not really chocolate milk but I make smoothies with skim milk, lowfat vanilla yogurt, Torani sugar free chocoloate syrup and a little splenda. Put it all in the blender with a little ice. Wal-mart usually has the Torani sugar free syrup around the coffee supplies.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options
    I used chocolate milk as a recovery drink when I was doing P90X, and I'm going to use it again when I start my next round Monday. I buy the Darigold lowfat (1%) chocolate milk at Costco. It comes in a 12-pack of 8 oz. bottles for around $5 I think. Also, it has no HFCS.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I love the Calorie Countdown Chocolate milk by Hood. It's lower in carbs than regular chocolate milk and quite tasty!
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The point of it being a great post exercise recovery drink is the Simple Sugar to Protein Ratio. If you use light/fatfree what ever you are missing the freakin point Sugar and Protein immediately after workout replaces glycogen stores and creates a insulin spike which assists in protein being rushed into the muscles. Its the only time in the day you get "free" simple sugar. I use it as a perfectly good excuse to eat a handful of M&Ms and wash it down with a protein shake mixed with 50% water and 50% sugary goodness like c-milk, starbucks canned coffee shots or whatever else I feel like at the time. But you dont have to take my word for it maybe some guys with alphabet soup behind their names will help.

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/women/post_workout_interview.htm
    http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=14336
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The point of it being a great post exercise recovery drink is the Simple Sugar to Protein Ratio. If you use light/fatfree what ever you are missing the freakin point Sugar and Protein immediately after workout replaces glycogen stores and creates a insulin spike which assists in protein being rushed into the muscles. Its the only time in the day you get "free" simple sugar. I use it as a perfectly good excuse to eat a handful of M&Ms and wash it down with a protein shake mixed with 50% water and 50% sugary goodness like c-milk, starbucks canned coffee shots or whatever else I feel like at the time. But you dont have to take my word for it maybe some guys with alphabet soup behind their names will help.

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/women/post_workout_interview.htm
    http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=14336

Thank you for posting some scientifically-based info. Now I know I can have something I like without regret as long as it is ingested at the right time!!