A quick question about White Kidney Bean Extract

Options
I've recently started taking White kidney bean extract, which prevents calories from carbs/starches from being broken down and digested creating artificial ketosis. This may sound dumb but can I essentially negate all calories from carbs?

Replies

• VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I realize there's no "Magic bullet" but I will continue to count the full calories, anything less absorbed is icing on the cake ;)
  • DisorderedKittiKat
    Options
    Omg I hope that people respond to this post because I've recently started taking white kidney bean extract and I really want to know if it does much.
  • TomMac1949
    Options
    According to studies listed at www.phase2info.com, white kidney bean extract has been shown to reduce up to 66% of starch calories consumed. There are other interesting studies posted on the site regarding weight reduction and starch absorption. However, it should be noted that people will have different experiences with the supplement depending on body type, metabolism, activity level, etc. As with all supplements, you should take the recommended amount listed on the bottle.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    "A variety of dietary supplements are presently available as slimming aids, but their efficacy has not been proven. One such slimming aid is the bean extract, Phaseolus vulgaris. The aim of the present systematic review is to evaluate the evidence for or against the efficacy of P. vulgaris. Electronic and non-electronic searches were conducted to identify relevant human randomised clinical trials (RCT). Hand searches of bibliographies were also conducted. No age, time or language restrictions were imposed. The eligibility of studies was determined by two reviewers independently, and the methodological quality of the included studies was assessed. We identified eleven eligible trials, and six were included. All the included RCT had serious methodological flaws. A meta-analysis revealed a statistically non-significant difference in weight loss between P. vulgaris and placebo groups (mean difference (MD) − 1.77 kg, 95 % CI − 3.33, 0.33). A further meta-analysis revealed a statistically significant reduction in body fat favouring P. vulgaris over placebo (MD − 1.86 kg, 95 % CI − 3.39, − 0.32). Heterogeneity was evident in both analyses. The poor quality of the included RCT prevents us from drawing any firm conclusions about the effects of P. vulgaris supplementation on body weight. Larger and more rigorous trials are needed to objectively assess the effects of this herbal supplement."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22844674

Full text review, but note the
    "Competing interests
    Medicus Research has received research support grants from Pharmachem Laboratories. JKU has provided consulting services to Pharmachem Laboratories. MLB has provided consulting services to Medicus Research. The authors and Medicus Research do not endorse any brand or product.
    Acknowledgements
    The authors would like to acknowledge Pharmachem Laboratories for sponsoring this review."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3071778/

Another full text review
    http://www.jacn.org/content/28/3/266.long