Is increased strength training causing this??

Options
2»

Replies

• janadecker
    janadecker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I appreciate the push:)
  • janadecker
    Options
    This is embarrassing to admit. I have no idea if I've gained inches in my stomach because I've never measured. Anything. Ever. I've always relied on my scale to gauge my progress. Which was good when I was 70 pounds over weight. The smaller numbers motivated me to push forward. But now that I've switched my focus more to strength than weight loss......the scale is no longer conducive. If anything, it's discouraging:/

Which is exactly why a lot of women decide against weight training. The scale is a tool to help measure your progress, but it shouldn't be the only thing. Look at some of women who post their success stories (Lorinalynn is one I can think of) who weight more than they did before but look better and are smaller than they were.
    Don't let the scale scare you hang in there. Eventually the scale will catch up.

Thanks so much! It's good to be encouraged:)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Start using a tape measure in addition to your scale and progress pics
  • janadecker
    Options
    Start using a tape measure in addition to your scale and progress pics

Good idea. I actually just texted my husband and asked him to pick me up a measuring tape after work. And I hadn't even thought of progress pics. Brilliant! Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Abs are muscles and hold water just like your other muscles.. if you just started working them hardcore thats probably it.
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for this, because I'm experiencing the same thing grrrr. I started strength training heavily in October, and I've been tracking my food since November. My stomach is so bloated, Im actually pretty concerned at this point. It just doesn't seem right. I thought maybe the (small) changes I made to my diet were to blame, perhaps I caused some digestion issues, but after 3 months my body should have adjusted by now. I'm going to check in with my Dr tomorrow about this, I'll come back and post if I get any interesting information there...
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8.5", weigh 136 pounds. I have an excellent diet and regular exercise routine. Recently, to tone up for vacation I decided to incorporate some core and strength training. I've also been doing a lot of HIIT this past week. What I'm noticing is, after a few days of starting this, I had a normal weigh in and noticed a few extra pounds were there. Didn't think too much of it, chalked it up as water retention for muscle recovery. But then.....I'm now noticing my abdomen is somewhat distended. Pudgy even. I've had a nice, flat stomach and now that I'm doing the extra work its almost like its having an adverse affect on my midsection. I'm so confused. Can the extra work be causing these weird changes?

Side note: My diet is exactly the same. I'm not overeating to compensate for my increased metabolism. I track everything. The only change I've made is adding the strength training to my routine.

Interesting post. This has been happening to me since I begun lifting heavily, for almost a month now. Yet, inches are the same. Thanks for the answers in the forum, as always, very helpful!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    this happened to me as well. I chalked it up to water retention and the weight came off within a week or so. don't stress too much over it.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • janadecker
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for this, because I'm experiencing the same thing grrrr. I started strength training heavily in October, and I've been tracking my food since November. My stomach is so bloated, Im actually pretty concerned at this point. It just doesn't seem right. I thought maybe the (small) changes I made to my diet were to blame, perhaps I caused some digestion issues, but after 3 months my body should have adjusted by now. I'm going to check in with my Dr tomorrow about this, I'll come back and post if I get any interesting information there...

I would be interested in hearing what the doc has to say. Good luck!
  • janadecker
    Options
    this happened to me as well. I chalked it up to water retention and the weight came off within a week or so. don't stress too much over it.

I'm determined that it will eventually even out. However, I am a bit concerned now that I'm doing too much HIIT and not enough low intensity, therefore as the poster said, my caloric balance is off. I'm at 1200 now, never going over. Should I go 1000 and see what that does??
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    If you cut down your caloric intake too far your performance in the gym will surely suffer, and you make it harder to get in the necessary micro-nutrients.
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Should I go 1000 and see what that does??
    [/quote]

You will not be able to work out with 1000
  • jules1202
    Options
    If you have added in more HIIT then you should be consuming more calories, not less. 1200 isn't enough that kind of working out.