Champion C9 running shoes

Options
I was wondering if anyone has Champion C9 running shoes (I saw them for sale at target) and what our thought of them? It's time for new shoes (sadly, 4 weeks before my half marathon) because I was consistently getting blisters on the outside of my big toe. These blisters have now turned into a tender callous. I'm on a tight budget and could not find many reviews for the shoes (i found a lot of positive reviews for the workout clothes), so I was hoping for a little direction.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• allnamesgone
    allnamesgone Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, the first pair of running shoes I bought were Champions from Target. That must've been in about 2008. Last year I bough a pair of Asics that are good, but until then, I hadn't found a better pair than those cheap Champions. I loved them.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of things from Target.. my running shoes are not one of them. You really should go in and get fit at a specialty running store. Saving a few bucks is not worth the cost of potential injury. Plus a proper fitting shoe should fix the problems you are having.
  • misjer
    misjer Posts: 11
    Options
    Believe it or not, the first pair of running shoes I bought were Champions from Target. That must've been in about 2008. Last year I bough a pair of Asics that are good, but until then, I hadn't found a better pair than those cheap Champions. I loved them.

I agree. I liked the Champion shoes and have worn them for a few years. I don't do marathons, but I have a cousin who did one in them and had no issues.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of things from Target.. my running shoes are not one of them. You really should go in and get fit at a specialty running store. Saving a few bucks is not worth the cost of potential injury. Plus a proper fitting shoe should fix the problems you are having.

I AGREE TOTALLY - I LOVE target - but the C9 shoes I got from there I keep at my office for walks ONLY! You can walk in running shoes w/o much chance of injury/damage but to run in walking shoes (or a cheap pair of shoes) drastically increases likelihood of injury/damage to your body. I would NOT RISK it to a marathon - or even a 5K for that matter.

Love your feet - they make everything else line-up properly (or not).
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I AGREE TOTALLY - I LOVE target - but the C9 shoes I got from there I keep at my office for walks ONLY! You can walk in running shoes w/o much chance of injury/damage but to run in walking shoes (or a cheap pair of shoes) drastically increases likelihood of injury/damage to your body. I would NOT RISK it to a marathon - or even a 5K for that matter.

Love your feet - they make everything else line-up properly (or not).

That's kind of what I was leaning towards, just heading to a sports store and finding new shoes. My shoes have a ton of miles on them and besides the blisters or callouses, I've had no issues with them!
  • jnsb
    jnsb Posts: 20
    Options
    I strongly advise getting fitted at a running store. That way you know the shoe that's right for your foot. If money is an issue, get the store's recommendations, try on a few pairs and then search the web for good deals. I got my favorite pair of running shoes (Merrell Bare Access Arc) from 6pm.com for $45, half off retail. Now is also a good time to get shoes because new models are cycling in, meaning 2012 shoes are on sale. Good luck!
  • shawnienix
    Options
    I think if you're not a high mileage runner then the Champion shoes will be fine. Of course if you're doing like 10 miles a day you may want better quality but if your anything like me and do less than 25 miles a week and only use the shoes for your runs, I totally don't see how you could get injured wearing a running shoe that is $50 less than a more popular brand.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I think if you're not a high mileage runner then the Champion shoes will be fine. Of course if you're doing like 10 miles a day you may want better quality but if your anything like me and do less than 25 miles a week and only use the shoes for your runs, I totally don't see how you could get injured wearing a running shoe that is $50 less than a more popular brand.

It's not about the popularity or brand name, it's about them being properly fitted to your foot and the right type of shoes for your running style. I'm a midfoot striker with moderate overpronation. I can spend $250 on a pair of running shoes, but if they aren't shoes built to fit that sort of gait and correct overpronation, they won't be nearly as good as my $80 Asics.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Go to a running specialty store (not a sporting goods store) and get professionally fitted for a pair of shoes.

It'll be the best thing you ever did for your feet.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You should shop for running shoes based on proper fit, not price/appearance.
  • texancouture
    Options
    Here is an interesting article about a marathoner who has ran 3 of them in $25 champion shoes. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/health/23patient.html

“Shoe manufacturers keep adding improvements to shoes in the form of cushioning gel pods, microprocessors and so-called thrust enhancers, but these upgrades don’t seem to make runners safer. A review of current studies on running shoes published in 2009 found that there were no evidence-based studies that showed running shoes actually helped prevent injury. Indeed, injury rates have not gone down.

Fancy running shoes may even lead to injury, experts say. Some studies show that when runners don expensive running shoes that promise superior cushioning, they incur more injuries than runners using cheaper shoes."

I would have to agree with the NY Times article. I unfortunately had a friend that I was training for half marathon was injured and the cause was the Nike "shocks" technology in her running shoe. I would encourage you to test them out and if they fit you well then there isn't any reason to not wear them. You will still be more padded than I was running the half marathon in my vibrams :)
  • phonelady61
    Options
    I agree I have had my champions for over a year and they are great and I only use them while exercising and find they are more than good for walking and running and I talked to a lady who did marathons and she said that is all she wears and it is like she told me she did not have money to just squander away on shoes so she just gets the champions and these days it is so important to save a dollar or two where and when you can ....Good luck
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting article about a marathoner who has ran 3 of them in $25 champion shoes. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/health/23patient.html

“Shoe manufacturers keep adding improvements to shoes in the form of cushioning gel pods, microprocessors and so-called thrust enhancers, but these upgrades don’t seem to make runners safer. A review of current studies on running shoes published in 2009 found that there were no evidence-based studies that showed running shoes actually helped prevent injury. Indeed, injury rates have not gone down.

Fancy running shoes may even lead to injury, experts say. Some studies show that when runners don expensive running shoes that promise superior cushioning, they incur more injuries than runners using cheaper shoes."

I would have to agree with the NY Times article. I unfortunately had a friend that I was training for half marathon was injured and the cause was the Nike "shocks" technology in her running shoe. I would encourage you to test them out and if they fit you well then there isn't any reason to not wear them. You will still be more padded than I was running the half marathon in my vibrams :)
    Shocks are Fing terrible in my opinion. How people run in them is beyond me!!!

The cheapo shoes from Target? Never heard of them, but they could work. I would suggest what everyone else is saying though and get properly fitted. The article talks about a guy who runs alot and I would imagine is very efficient in his running gait and most likely very light.

Not saying you arent, but if you are a new runner, on MFP to lose weight, etc, I would suggest looking into getting properly fitted. Maybe you can buy a pair of those champions to wear to work or walk in and slowly rotate them into shorter runs if you want to see how they go. I rotate 3 diff pairs of shoes when I run.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    That's kind of what I was leaning towards, just heading to a sports store and finding new shoes. My shoes have a ton of miles on them and besides the blisters or callouses, I've had no issues with them!

Blisters and callouses are issues as you know and a pair of properly fitted running shoes will eliminate them and your running will improve. I certainly understand being on a strict budget but treating your feet right impacts not just your running but your well being in general. I'm not saying that the C9s aren't right for you just to be cautious. Good luck with your race!