What's the best way to train for a 10k race

Options
OH only does weights and little cardio and has been roped into a 10k race in October (plenty of time).. What's everyone's tips for training for this.. I have run lots in my life and said I would train with him but not sure how to start him off?

Any advice would be greatly received thanks!

Replies

• randilious
    Options
    Start slowly, there are programs online for this. couch to 5k is one there is probably a 5k to 10k or a couch to 10k. don't run too fast too soon really work up to it!!
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Start slowly, there are programs online for this. couch to 5k is one there is probably a 5k to 10k or a couch to 10k. don't run too fast too soon really work up to it!!

I've done couch 2 5k how often should he train? 3 times a week? Or 4?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    You might try out one of the Higdon training plans.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

I never really followed a structured plan but I've heard people say this was good.
  • randilious
    Options
    I am kinda new to running as well and am just getting through some injuries because I went to fast!!!! I am now up to seven miles on the treadmill and have done a 10 k on the road!!!! I would use the resources online, I am definitely not an expert!!!!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Since you have until October, and I assume OH has never ran? or very little? I would start out running 3 times a week, eventually getting to 4 (should need to go past 4) I would say just start out running a mile or so 3 times a week. slowly (no more than 10%) up the mileage a week. Pick a day that you would do a longer run, lets say Saturday..so run Monday, tuesday, take Wedesday off, Run Thursday, Take Friday off, Run a longer run on Saturday, rest sunday. By October you should be good :)
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options
    You might try out one of the Higdon training plans.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

I never really followed a structured plan but I've heard people say this was good.

Thanks this is really helpful
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options
    Since you have until October, and I assume OH has never ran? or very little? I would start out running 3 times a week, eventually getting to 4 (should need to go past 4) I would say just start out running a mile or so 3 times a week. slowly (no more than 10%) up the mileage a week. Pick a day that you would do a longer run, lets say Saturday..so run Monday, tuesday, take Wedesday off, Run Thursday, Take Friday off, Run a longer run on Saturday, rest sunday. By October you should be good :)

That's great thanks for this
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options
    I am kinda new to running as well and am just getting through some injuries because I went to fast!!!! I am now up to seven miles on the treadmill and have done a 10 k on the road!!!! I would use the resources online, I am definitely not an expert!!!!

Well done! I injured myself when I first started running by not wearing the appropriate footwear lol! Thanks for your advice
  • meredith2780
    Options
    Makes sure you do some strength training! That muscle will give you more endurance. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    couch to 5K or some derivative thereof...then 5K to 10K program. I do 3x weekly and strength train on my non K train days 3x weekly...one day full rest.