high protein low carb

Options
Does anyone have successful storied on being in a high protein low carb diet? Im trying it out and want some feedback.

Replies

• melissa6592
    melissa6592 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I don't know any science to back up high protien low card but I will say it is working for me. I started on the 2nd and have lost 7lbs so far.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    you will lose weight but it will deplete your glycogen stores and water, so when you resume normal carbs you will gain weight quickly. Go online and figure out your daily maintenance calories and eat about 300 cals below that. You may have to adjust the numbers some.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It works, but here's a warning...............you have to stay with it and not revert back to eating high carb foods like I did. I lost almost 30 lbs, and put back on 17 by eating pasta, pizza, and stuff like that. I'm back on it now and mad at myself for not sticking with it and staying disciplined. Good luck. :)
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It works, but here's a warning...............you have to stay with it and not revert back to eating high carb foods like I did. I lost almost 30 lbs, and put back on 17 by eating pasta, pizza, and stuff like that. I'm back on it now and mad at myself for not sticking with it and staying disciplined. Good luck. :)

^^ This
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am all for it. Back in 2008, I lost 90lbs in 6 months by doing an extreme low carb diet (20 net/day). But I wasn't learning anything about portion control or anything healthy that would be long term. Now I just maintain a lower carb diet (I do not count carbs) and watch my calorie intake.

It does work but you pretty much have to find a healthy amount of carbs that your body doesn't seem to mind. I know if I eat too many carbs then I will be up 1-2lbs the next day. Do whats right for you but I say at least give it a try.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You don't "need" a diet to lose weight, but protein and fats tend to keep people more satiated than high carb diets. Low carb diets don't typically work for people doing extreme workouts (boxing for an hour, running a lot, etc) because they need the quick energy. I've started cutting a lot of grains from my diet because I can get low blood sugars after eating carbs. It's working for me because I'm staying under my calories. Low carb tends to work (for weight loss) because people rarely eat carbs in moderation (they are calorie dense, and so servings can be very small), so by cutting carbs they end up cutting calories. You need to find what works for you, and not just do something because you heard it works well for others.
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    I have lost over 50 lbs eating lean meats and lots of green veggies and some whole grains like wild rice or barley. Berries are my fruit of choice. No sugar, no white flour, no starchy foods ( I call them pig and cow foods. The ones the farmers use to fatten up livestock). I limit salt so I also leave out processed meats. My eczema is gone, my hair is growing long and healtly. I have 3 times more energy. I burn 800 to 1000 calories 6 days a week at the gym and feel great. And I no longer have high blood pressure. No longer fear diabetes. Soooo, do your research. Watch what your body does each week in response to how you are eating because no specific diet is the right fit for every person. You might respond more to more grains than I do. However, nobody needs fast food, doritos, ding dongs and cup cakes or two liter bottles of pop. Right?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It does work ..... temporarily.

Do you need to manage your carb intake for the rest of your life (diabetes)? If yes, then this is a good plan. Low carb will be a permanent "lifestyle" for you.

If no, then a low carb diet will not "teach" you anything. The weight you lose will come right back because you have not changed your "lifestyle" one bit.

Permanent lifestyle changes (not fads) will help you lose weight AND keep it off.
  • 21Pontoon
    Options
    I'm currently trying out low carb, it doesn't have to be a diet it can be a life choice. Do some research to get it right though you need higher protein and high fat content as well as low carb. Do research into Ketosis. You can have great results and so far I've found myself feeling 'cleaner' all around.

Add me if you like :) Good Luck x
  • tnloser1970
    Options
    Does anyone have successful storied on being in a high protein low carb diet? Im trying it out and want some feedback.

When they say you will gain it all back plus some quickly, they are right. I lost 100 pounds in 6 months on it. But, as soon as I started introducing carbs back into my diet, I gained it all back plus more. If you want to do the high protein low carb diet, it has to be for life. If you don't want to do it for life I would recommend choosing a more balanced diet
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I've had great success on this. I started out as a vegetarian (high carb by default) and now I follow a high fat and high protein diet. Here are my blood results: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/shocking-the-numbers-dont-lie-vegetarian-to-paleo-comparison-423960

while it may not be universal, this has worked wonders for me. I have TONS of energy and feel great. Plus I dropped from a size 12 to a size 4 (minimal (~4 lbs) weight loss, just muscle increases and fat loss). My progress picture is in my picture file for you to see.

Lots of people will downplay this diet and critize that its not sustainable, but you have to find what works for you. You also cant do low carb for 4 months then go back the way you were--of course you will re-gain! THis is a lifestyle thing! I have never felt better and have gotten rid of chronic heartburn and joint inflamation so I'll never go back! Sure, I may eat pasta again in the future, but it will be the exception rather than the rule (huge statement considering i was a vegetarian and i'm italian!)

Good luck and if you want a friend, feel free to add me. I often post recipes on my blog :)
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you are doing it and what your expectations are.

Personally, I do better with lower carbs because I require that to control my hypertriglyceridemia. The bonus effect for me, when I am compliant besides lowering my LDL and VLDL I feel more satiety with fewer calories than not, making it relatively speaking, easier to maintain a deficit. But it isn't magic or anything. Eating the EXACT same number of calories when my macros are different doesn't produce better weight loss results. The point of the matter is that the more carbs I eat, there is a strong tendency for me to eat more calories too. Flip it around and the more fats and protein I eat the fewer calories I tend to consume along with consuming fewer carbs and the cholesterol benefits for me particularly.
  • jules1202
    Options
    I did Atkins year ago when I was at my highest weight ever and lost 25lbs. I slowly eased back into a normal diet and did not gain back the weight then. I was doing great for years till after I remarried and had another child and then living the hectic life of working mom who loves food. :) The last few years I have had alot of success with high protien/lower carb (South Beach) and the only reason I gain back and am back here is because of my love of food and cruises and travelling this past year.

The key thing is to remove the UNHEALTHY carbs from your diet (all the processed junk we eat like white flour and white sugar/high frutcose corn syrup). Things like carbs in veggies, fruit, beans, brown rice, and whole grains are good carbs.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    do your research. Watch what your body does each week in response to how you are eating because no specific diet is the right fit for every person. You might respond more to more grains than I do. However, nobody needs fast food, doritos, ding dongs and cup cakes or two liter bottles of pop. Right?

^^ Yup!
  • Sheymarie417
    Sheymarie417 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys! It was extermely informing. I am trying my hardest to prevent high blood pressue, high cholestrol, diabetes and whatever else i predispostion i've been exposed to. Once again thank you all!
  • amyschicos
    amyschicos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    low carb diets work... I lost 20 lbs in a few weeks.
    However going off it is where the problem is. I don't think it's a good long term diet, but to help with the first 30 lbs or the last 10, i think it's pretty good!

I do prefer a 90+% plant based diet long term.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys! It was extermely informing. I am trying my hardest to prevent high blood pressue, high cholestrol, diabetes and whatever else i predispostion i've been exposed to. Once again thank you all!

watch out where you get your protein from if you have high chlorestorol. Hemp, soy, pea proteins are all good sources!