SUGAR! i go over every day..help

Options
every day i go over on my sugar counter.. but 90% of it is do to eating fruits. is this okay since its natural sugar?

Replies

• LK0321
    LK0321 Posts: 25
    Options
    I dont track sugar just because of this, unless your diabetic I personally wouldn't bother. The refined crap is what ya want to stay away from. I love my fruit and eat tons, I just count fat, carbs n protein. Is there a specific reason you are counting sugar?
  • YogaLarva
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, regardless of where it's from. But if you feel ok with the amount of fruit you're consuming and you aren't diabetic, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I always go over too... *shrug*
  • Dashya
    Dashya Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't know if it's ok- but I go over almost EVERY day! I have just decided to up my exercise to accommodate my sugar overages. I do not know how my smoothies would taste without some fruit in them!
  • heidyann86
    Options
    theres no specific reason why i track it..its just on there. im not diabetic. i just thought sugar is what really contributes to weight gain... im still learning though.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    thats because 30 is an unrealistic sugar goal go and change it. if you eat 2 apples you almost over that already id say dont really worry about the number just try to stay away from candies and such maybe like 60 grams of sugar a day
  • jarswalk
    Options
    I met with a nutritionist last week. She stated ignore the sugar since my sugar was almost all fruits. It's natural sugar. Good luck.
  • Clarissia_Nicole
    Clarissia_Nicole Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I go over every day as well. Today I haven't (...yet lol) cause I've been watching it. Curious to see if I will lose weight any faster by keeping it at what MFP suggests. Most of mine comes from fruits and berries as well so if I end up going over I don't fret about it personally. Still losing weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Your body does metabolize sugars differently...while fructose is fructose, your body does metabolize fructose in fruits and veg slower than processed sugar because the fructose in most fruit is wrapped up in a good dose of fiber as well. This is why my diabetic dad can have fruit in moderation, but absolutely cannot have cake or soda or whatever with processed sugar.

That said, I do watch it to some extent...ultimately, regardless of the source, it does get stored as fat faster than anything else if you're not burning it. In that RE, I really just manage my macros rather than managing specifically sugar...I've found that if I manage my macros at a 40c/30p/30hf, my sugar comes in line pretty good. For me it means about 1.5-2 servings of fruit, pretty much whatever veg I want and a couple of servings of whole grain or other starchy food per day.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I met with a nutritionist last week. She stated ignore the sugar since my sugar was almost all fruits. It's natural sugar. Good luck.

Another "expert" gives faulty advice... Sugar is sugar. The sugar in fruit is not an issue for some people, and it is an issue for other people. I'm sure she's giving someone with diabetes the same advice.

OP, if you are doing fine, don't struggle with hunger or cravings, are active, etc, then don't worry about the fruit. However, I have to limit my sugar intake or I continually struggle with uncontrollable hunger, cravings and binging otherwise. Good news: vegetables have the same nutrients with less sugar.

To each their own.
  • levicrouch
    Options
    theres no specific reason why i track it..its just on there. im not diabetic. i just thought sugar is what really contributes to weight gain... im still learning though.

From what i have learned so far is that whether you gain weight or lose weight depends on your caloric intake. If you are eating more calories than what you need you will gain weight. If you deficit calories then you will lose weight (by burning stored fat).

Haven't tried it my self, but folks have claimed to have lost weight by only eating junk food. As long as they eat less than the required calories each day they will lose weight.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, regardless of where it's from. But if you feel ok with the amount of fruit you're consuming and you aren't diabetic, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I always go over too... *shrug*

^this^