Need support... Is all this really worth it?

Options
I guess I'm just feeling over whelmed I need to lose A LOT of weight! Like around 100-200 pounds. And it's so so hard to do all the right things work out everyday eat all the right things. Instead of sitting down watching tv or playing on the computer and eating whatever I want. Does is ever get easier? I have hypothyroid and a prolactinoma pituitary tumor with no treatment for either due to no health insurence. I just don't know what to do. Any advise? Anyone going through the same? Does it ever get easier?

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i don't know about the restrictions due to your medical conditions, but you can lose the weight. it takes patience. for now, forget all the baloney about low carb, clean eating, low fat, low sugar, etc. etc. etc. (unless you have to follow those for your medical conditions!). just get started logging your food. learn your BMR/TDEE and get in the habit of going under each day. it's critical to establish these behaviors as habits. once you do, none of this is hard... it just takes time. to lose 200 lbs, you should expect to be at this for a good 2 years or so. once you're on the way, then you can start researching nutrition and strength training and all those other things. what's important now is just getting started and learning to use the information and tools at hand so that you're equipped with an understanding of how and why your body gains and loses fat.

i'll tell you one little secret... it's not as hard as you think it will be. plenty of people lose lots of weight simply by logging their food, making sure they are eating at a calorie deficit, and walking for exercise.
  • jlr2001
    jlr2001 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    it's worth it, what i have done is make short term goals that are achievable and gone for that with the long range goals set as well.
    Do my best very day hopefully more good days than bad. Good luck , know you can do awesome!!!!
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not a veteran loser yet, but it's got to be worth it. with your hypothyroidism you are probably cold a lot... so moving will feel good and warm you up. take it one day at a time, just do the best by focusing on wanting to feel good and energetic. wishing you much success and feel free to add me.
    Judith
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    It is worth it. It can change your life. Realize you don't have to do everything at once. Start building new habits. As they take, build more. Don't obsess about the scale, focus on changing what you do. Eat less. Move more. Eat better. Lift some heavier things. You're building a new lifestyle - don't look to fad diets or drastic actions - use the process of losing weight to teach yourself how you'll live when you're done.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It's so worth it but it's not easy. Sorry for your struggles but stick with it because in the end the rewards rock!
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When I started, I had 170 pounds to lose. That was 10 months ago. I still have 50 pounds to go but all I can say is, it is worth it more than you can imagine!! I see the world differently now. There really are no words to tell you how worth it, it really is. Do it for you, do it for your health. Do it for your future. Live a longer life. Good luck!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It is worth it.

How about baby steps - i.e. today instead of eating while at the computer, reading or watching tv, make sure when you eat you only eat sitting at a table with no other distractions.

I used to eat loads while watching tv and movies but once I broke the habit, it saves a lot of calories.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely worth it. YOU are worth it. I saw a tag line once and it went something like this "dieting is hard, being fat is hard...choose your hard".... It is SO true. Hang in there. One day at a time. Remember, lots of self positive talk.

Marie
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    i don't know about the restrictions due to your medical conditions, but you can lose the weight. it takes patience. for now, forget all the baloney about low carb, clean eating, low fat, low sugar, etc. etc. etc. (unless you have to follow those for your medical conditions!). just get started logging your food. learn your BMR/TDEE and get in the habit of going under each day. it's critical to establish these behaviors as habits. once you do, none of this is hard... it just takes time. to lose 200 lbs, you should expect to be at this for a good 2 years or so. once you're on the way, then you can start researching nutrition and strength training and all those other things. what's important now is just getting started and learning to use the information and tools at hand so that you're equipped with an understanding of how and why your body gains and loses fat.

i'll tell you one little secret... it's not as hard as you think it will be. plenty of people lose lots of weight simply by logging their food, making sure they are eating at a calorie deficit, and walking for exercise.

Definitely. In the beginning, just log in EVERYTHING you eat. I used to go over by a ton when I started last year, but continued logging. After you're used to logging, then try to shoot for your calorie goal. Nothing extreme. Just do what you can to start getting closer and closer to that number. Eventually, meeting that number will become easier and before you know it, you've lost some weight in the process and it's time for a calorie deficit adjustment. It's been a year and I'm just starting to try to learn about the nutritional/strengthening/overall fitness aspect of this. Don't give up and don't get discouraged just because you're going over or it seems too tedious logging in everything. You'll get used to it as long as you stick with it and it is DEFINITELY worth it.
  • Kamile69
    Options
    It's so worth it but it's not easy. Sorry for your struggles but stick with it because in the end the rewards rock!

exactly! Don't lose your focus and stick to it. You'll be happier and healthier in the end. :flowerforyou:
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It's never easy but it does get easier to get into a schedule and before you know it you're not thinking about it. Yes it's hard and yes there will be days when you want to say F it. It's worth it when you look back and see all your hard work and your progress.
  • mrmaxpowers
    Options
    Its is very worth it. My life is so much better now and the more i lose the better it gets.
  • mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You have to ask yourself if doing nothing and possibly gaining even more weight is worth it? As others have pointed out start with some small achievable goals, whatever that is for you. Like cutting out one soda instead of two, skip a pastry, whatever. Doing a quick 5 minutes of jumping jacks still burns some calories. Small victories add up. You'll feel the payoff as you drop pant sizes. You can do this! You'll gain a certain confidence in yourself too!
    Add me if you want.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    yeah, it's worth it. You'll get to the point where you don't WANT to just sit down at the computer or TV.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    Do what you can - start with logging all your food, the good and the bad - this is definitely a learning process, and you are going to have days when you just can't do it. That's okay, just keep pushing toward your goal.

Make a rule that you can't eat while on the computer. Then come here and read.

There is no such thing as failure, only delayed success.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's worth it. It's definitely worth it. Down 115 lbs in 2 years. None of the steps I've taken have been very much work in and of themselves. Start small and make sustainable lifestyle changes. Then simply build from there. Whether those small steps are eliminating something negative (like a pack of soda a day) or adding something positive (parking further away at the store to get some extra walking in) you will slowly and surely start to feel better. Logging calories can seem like an awful lot of work, but in the end it's made all the difference for me. Best of luck on your journey! :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Nah you're right its totally not worth it!

I mean sure you will live longer, have less health complications including being at lower risk for diabetes, heart conditions, and a number of other degenerative diseases, be able to buy nice clothes and like the way they look on you, have increased self confidence, be able to move more freely, be happier and have more energy, get increased respect from the general community (I know that sounds judgmental but there is objective evidence to show this happens).

But on the other hand, making a change to your life will require a little bit of effort. You will have to say no to the occasional slice of pie and make a conscious effort to get up and move on a daily basis...

Actually, when you put it like that, it does seem worth it doesn't it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I agree with all of this. Really it's quite easy, it just takes a little bit of work on a daily basis. But it takes a long time, that's the hard part - patience. Probably a couple years for you. Just do a little every day, the first few weeks is the only really hard part where you're adjusting your life. I'm approaching the 2 year mark myself and it's long been second nature.
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    It's so worth it! I wish I started this time last year and I'd already be at my goal.

I wish you lots of luck!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    It's worth it if you want to live in a different body. It's hard. I would recommend that you do your homework and plan your meals/snacks etc to fit your life. If you like to watch tv and eat then get some healthy snacks and pre sort them out into servings. If you spend an hour in the kitchen you can make a lot of healthy things and have them ready to go when it's time to eat. You'll know the calories.

You've got to move for a half hour a day. Do something. Go for a walk. Look up on you tube and do some sort of exercise.

Give up soda. If you don't drink it good for you. Get a water bottle and carry it with you everywhere and drink lots of water. Add lemon or whatever you like to it. :)

If you can say that you can picture yourself smaller and want to be smaller than it's worth it! Choice is up to you. Friend me if you want. :) Best of luck.