PAIN!

Options
What do you do to ease the pain after a workout??? I KNOW I have to keep going but my legs hurt soooo bad and this is from an intense 30min workout on Monday!!

I'm supposed to go back tonight but I can barely move! Its been a yr since i actually worked out so Im rusty but OMG!

Replies

• Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Rest, allow your muscles to rest. If the pain persists for many days then see a Dr. Congrats on the workout!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Rest until the pain is gone. Eventually your body will become used to such a work out and the pain will subside faster and faster.

We have to ease our way into exercise, not just throw ourselves in.

If the pain lasts too long (like a week), it may be wise to see your doctor.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Rest until the pain is gone. Eventually your body will become used to such a work out and the pain will subside faster and faster.

We have to ease our way into exercise, not just throw ourselves in.

If the pain lasts too long (like a week), it may be wise to see your doctor.

This.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Try eating a banana. If that doesn't help...rest or the doctor.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you are not injured then you should probably just suck it up and push through. I know I've been, I'm there right now (just recently started back doing kickboxing and jiu-jitsu). Make sure you plan for rest days. Drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep, and eat clean. I've noticed that when I hurt the most its after I've pushed through a second workout that the next day I feel so much better even though I thought I'd be even more sore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    This is an indicator that you're jumping into something too fast. Start slower...build up your fitness level a bit at a time. A little soreness isn't unusual when you're starting a new routine, but it should only last a day or two...maybe a bit longer, but not to the point of not being able to perform. A week of pain and being unable to perform your exercise after a week means too much too fast.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch and warm up before and after workouts, keep up on your vitamins, take rest days when you need it but don't rest for *too long* or you'll find it hard to get back into it again :)
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good to ease pain in the muscles
  • Innergoddess2412
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the posts above. Depending on your age, weight and overall health, you risk a more severe injury which will keep you out much longer than a few days-derailing your overall goal.
  • theplatypus
    Options
    I find it really helpful to do some yoga or stretching right before I go to bed. It will help to keep your muscles from becoming stiff from lying still for so long and I usually feel less sore in the morning
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    If you are not injured then a gentle walk would be more beneficial than rest.

I have this problem a lot. I do my strenght training on a Friday and sometimes it really hurts by Sunday, when I usually get a call to go rock climbing or mountain biking! You get used to it though and I just "suck it up" and work through it. As a beginner it's probably wise to learn how your body feels and get to know teh difference between DOMS and an injury before pushing too hard. And I always have a proper rest day on the Monday!

Go for a walk if you can't face the gym. Bet after the walk you'll feel like you could have gone to teh gym after all :)
  • serenitygranted11
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took an extra rest day, ate a banana and did alot of stretching! Im still in pain (hurts to walk up or downstairs and to even come off a curb) but i know my muscles need to get used to working out again!!!!

CONGRATS TO ALL OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Stretching, water, potassium rich foods. Try a body roller to increase the speed of recovery. Swimming is a great way to stretch out the muscles after a heavy weightlifting session, or even the day after. May also try the supplement phosphatidylserine
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Just a note on stretching, you shouldn't do them cold. The muscls should be warm so straight after your cool-down would be good. Worth reading up on stretching so you don't injure yourself. A few quick points though:

Stretch so you feel the muscle, but not so that it hurts. Hold for 20-30 seconds. If it feels tight relax, then repeat 2-3 times for that muscle.