vitamins

Options
do you take and log them?

Replies

• MPilotz
    MPilotz Posts: 10
    Options
    a general multivitamin is key to everyones diet. it corrects deficiencies/lacks and anything that is extra is excreted from the body in the urine.
    unless severely deficient there is not need to take specific vitamins, in fact some taken in excess can create a toxic state for the body (I believe too much vitamin A can cause blindness)
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I log my multivitamin because I track my calcium and I log my fish oil supplement because it's has calories and is part of my fat intake.
    I take a vitamin c supplement, but I usually don't log it.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    thanks guys.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I log my multivitamin because I'm trying to hit my micros as well as macros
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    thanks guys.

i don't log it, but i take one every day with food that contains some amount of fat. it's important to do that because some micronutrients and vitamins are only fat soluble and you don't want those passing through your body unused simply because you didn't take the vitamin with food.
  • IslandRider
    Options
    Yes, I just started logging. I found that when I don't log I don't always remember if I took them.... getting old, lol.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I log an iron supplement. I try very hard to get my micros through food first, so I take it at night most days. I don't take a multi-vitamin right now.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    a general multivitamin is key to everyones diet. it corrects deficiencies/lacks and anything that is extra is excreted from the body in the urine.
    unless severely deficient there is not need to take specific vitamins, in fact some taken in excess can create a toxic state for the body (I believe too much vitamin A can cause blindness)

If you have a proper diet a vitamin is not needed.... It just creates very expensive urine.

When I take mine I do log it as I like to know that I've hit the levels I need. I don't take vitamins daily though... only if my diet is lacking. It is best to get vitamins and minerals from real food when possible however vitamins are great to take if your diet doesn't provide them for you.

Cheap multivitamins have a lot of fillers though so ensure you read the labels.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

The medical community has changed it's opinion regarding vitamins. Also not all vitamins/minerals pass harmlessly through the body; in fact, some cause irreversible damage that can require organ transplants.

From the Mayo Clinic:
    The Mayo Clinic Health Letter highlights some potentially risky supplements:

Vitamin E: A 2005 review of research found that taking daily vitamin E supplements of 400 international units (IU) or more and possibly as low as 150 IU a day may pose health risks, including increased risk of premature death.

Vitamin A: A large study of postmenopausal women found that long-term intake of at least 6,660 IU of vitamin A acetate or palmitate may increase the risk of hip fractures. However, other research hasn't come to the same conclusion.

Folate and folic acid (vitamin B-9): Supplementation helps prevent birth defects, but evidence of other benefits has been elusive. The Iowa Women's Health Study suggests that folic acid supplements might increase the risk of premature death by 5.9 percent. Other studies have linked folic acid supplements with an increased risk of colorectal cancer.

Vitamin B-6: Large daily doses — more than 100 milligrams (mg) — can cause nerve damage over time. In the Iowa study, vitamin B-6 appeared to increase the risk of premature death by 4.1 percent.

Vitamin B-3 (niacin): High doses can help lower high cholesterol levels. This treatment should be done under a doctor's supervision because side effects can include severe liver disease.

Trace minerals: Copper, chromium, magnesium, selenium and zinc are among the essential trace minerals. There is no solid evidence that trace mineral supplements have any benefit in the absence of deficiencies — which are rare. The Iowa Women's Health Study indicated that the risk of premature death increased 3.6 percent in those taking magnesium, 3 percent in those taking zinc, and 18 percent in those taking copper supplements.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2012-mchi/6760.html
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I was taking a multivitamin because I was getting sick often and a clinic doctor told me to. It's good for the stuff you are missing, but if your like me and have severe deficiencies then you'd have to formulate a plan with your doctor to fix that.

So best to get a panel done to check your levels and bring a week log of your regular diet so that they can help you find a way to do it through food before pills, gel caps or liquids.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and log it because I like keeping track of my iron levels. I'm starting to take flax seed oil today, I'll most likely log it too.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I take 3 fish oil pills a day, 200-400mg of magnesium and 90mg of potassium. The magnesium has completely eliminated my PVCs, which before were in the hundreds/thousands a day, and helped keep my blood pressure under control w/o medication.
  • LizIis1
    LizIis1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I"m new to myfitnespal. how do you log your vitamins?