Can Acid reflux affect weight loss?

Options
I have suffered alot this week with a flare up and only loss one pound:cry: in two weeks. Anyone out there think that my acid reflux had something to do with it? Im starting to get unmotivated , any suggestions?

Replies

• ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Are you on meditation for it? I have a prescription for Nexium. I have tried others but this was the one that worked best for me with no break throughs. I'm to the point now where I don't have to take it every day.

How is your sodium intake?

Hang in there give your body a chance to catch-up. Hugs!
  • maryroseclare
    Options
    I don't think the acid reflux affects weight loss. I take over the counter prilosec - at first I had to take it every day, but after a month or so, I am able to take it once or twice a week. A couple of weeks ago I didn't lose any weight for a week, then the next week I dropped a couple of pounds all at once. I think that's pretty normal, just be patient and stick with it and you'll see results.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Acid reflux is just a weakness in your lower esophageal sphincter, so it does not affect weight loss, just makes you uncomfortable :grumble: I used to burp a lot and have some reflux when I first began to workout, but it went away eventually. Hang in there and don't give up! Chew some tums before working out or something like that!
  • Dulany
    Dulany Posts: 5
    Options
    Try cayanne (can get it in pill form) because it's a super stomach strengthener. You can get it in 'cool' form.
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm sorry this might be disappointing but when I had acid reflux back in January and I was on Lansoprazole for a month, I lost something like 16-18 pounds. I'm not sure if it was because of the medication or what. Maybe you'll lose extra next week? good luck x
  • cackeribclc
    Options
    Untreated acid reflux can cause weight loss. The pain and inability to swallow naturally causes the patient to be less interested in food, therefore, eat less. Reflux sufferers tend to eat small meals. There is no research that shows the medication would cause you to gain weight. It may be that you're feeling better and can handle more food in your stomach!