Not that hungry????

Options
So going into my third week the last few days after i eat about 1100 calories or so i'm not really that hungry...is this weird?

Should i eat even though i'm not really hungry? I feel pretty good actually...

Thoughts?

Replies

• Bumping because this question is also relevant to me.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    if your not hungry don't eat. hungry and you'v got cals left then eat.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    How did you gain weight in the first place if you're not hungry after 1100 calories?
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    fat_old_guy.gif

Just a bump...because I gotta work off the blow that keeps me from eating
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Your body needs nutrients and energy regardless of whether you're hungry or not. It's not uncommon for people who are consistently under-eating to not feel hungry. Similarly, it's not uncommon for people who over-eat to feel hungry, even when they have eaten more than enough. It also seems (after reading many threads on these forums) to be common to feel "great" and "full of energy" and "clear headed" when not eating enough. "Listening to your body" is a lovely idea, but it doesn't work for everyone.

The odd day or two of eating 1100 shouldn't be a problem, but making a habit of it isn't a very good idea. your body needs nutrients - not just vitamins and minerals, but adequate fats and protein too. It needs energy to perform basic functions. It will take some of that energy from fat stores, but it will also start to slow down non-essential processes. Everyone loses some lean mass when they lose weight, but creating a large calorie deficit means that you risk losing more lean mass than is necessary. That is not going to help you get the "sexy bod" you're after.
  • moostrodamus
    Options
    How did you gain weight in the first place if you're not hungry after 1100 calories?

I quit smoking after 36 years...i ate..alot...but i also was overweight before that...just never kept track before.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem lately, except I'm not eating nearly that many calories. I think a lot of times when you start eating healthy, the food goes a lot further and if you're eating a lot of protein, it can keep you full longer. I don't know if these are the case with you. I actually had to go to the doctor about my lack of appetite and they ran a bunch of tests to no avail. Just do the best you can, but try not to get into the habit of eating too little every day.
  • How did you gain weight in the first place if you're not hungry after 1100 calories?
    Maybe eating the wrong things?

I may not have eaten a lot, but what I ate was high fat, high sodium, high calorie nastiness that made me gain all my hard work back. Before that, I was just eating too much all the time. I got my portions into control, but not what I ate, which was entirely convenience food, not healthy food. Now that I'm doing this again, I can't seem to eat the full 1200 calories, and I'm wondering if I'll really experience adverse effects from missing out on 100-200 calories consistently.
  • moostrodamus
    Options
    Your body needs nutrients and energy regardless of whether you're hungry or not. It's not uncommon for people who are consistently under-eating to not feel hungry. Similarly, it's not uncommon for people who over-eat to feel hungry, even when they have eaten more than enough. It also seems (after reading many threads on these forums) to be common to feel "great" and "full of energy" and "clear headed" when not eating enough. "Listening to your body" is a lovely idea, but it doesn't work for everyone.

The odd day or two of eating 1100 shouldn't be a problem, but making a habit of it isn't a very good idea. your body needs nutrients - not just vitamins and minerals, but adequate fats and protein too. It needs energy to perform basic functions. It will take some of that energy from fat stores, but it will also start to slow down non-essential processes. Everyone loses some lean mass when they lose weight, but creating a large calorie deficit means that you risk losing more lean mass than is necessary. That is not going to help you get the "sexy bod" you're after.

duly noted and thank you
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So going into my third week the last few days after i eat about 1100 calories or so i'm not really that hungry...is this weird?

Should i eat even though i'm not really hungry? I feel pretty good actually...

Thoughts?

Why do you think hunger is a requirement? Hunger is your body telling you that you failed to give it the nutrients it needs. You should eat until you have supplied your body with all the macro and micro nutrients it needs for health, regardless of calories. Not identifying symptoms js not evidence you are healthy, proof you will remain healthy long term or a guarantee you do not have clinical signs.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    The stomach can stretch or shrink based on how much food you regularly put into it. People who eat huge meals stretch out their stomachs which then causes them to need more food to fill it up and "feel full." If someone doesn't eat very much, their stomach will become accustomed to that and will shrink, so it takes less food to fill it up & feel full.

Slowly start eating more food. You may feel satiated, but try eating more and after a while your stomach will expand a bit and learn to take in a healthy amount of food. And when I say stomach, I mean the actual organ. Your actual tummy/mid-section will not get bug.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    If hunger was a great indicator of when we should eat, we wouldn't get fat in the first place. Personally, I don't always trust my body to let me know if I'm hungry or full. Sure, it works sometimes, but not always.

As a man, 1100 calories is clearly not enough, hungry or not. It may take some meal planning to make sure that you get everything you need on a daily basis.
  • niczun
    niczun Posts: 9
    Options
    When I started with a 1280/day goal I just couldn't believe I was still alive after a week!! lol. This is so much more mental than physical. I think the body says "Of course I can live off of 1100 cal/day" and our mind tells us, "No... this can't be right. NEED MORE FOOD." Good for you for sticking to your goal. I have no fitness credentials to say this, but I would probably make it a goal to add a few more of the "right" kind of calories if you are working out. Food=Fuel
    Best of luck:)
  • Your body needs nutrients and energy regardless of whether you're hungry or not. It's not uncommon for people who are consistently under-eating to not feel hungry. Similarly, it's not uncommon for people who over-eat to feel hungry, even when they have eaten more than enough. It also seems (after reading many threads on these forums) to be common to feel "great" and "full of energy" and "clear headed" when not eating enough. "Listening to your body" is a lovely idea, but it doesn't work for everyone.

This also made a lot of sense to me. Thanks.
  • moostrodamus
    Options
    All very helpful...think i'll make a sandwich...but just ONE...

Many thanks