spaghettie sauce

Options
Anyone know of a healthy way to make homemade sauce? I'm so done with all the bland already made jar sauces.

Replies

• niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I make my own, works out 71cals a portion recipe supplies 3 portions

Dice a large onion and couple cloves of garlic, fry till the onion goes transparent
    Add tin chopped tomatoes, basil, pepper, spoon of tomato puree and some sugar if you like a little kick add tablespoon of mustard, simmer for about 15 mins and voila!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    ^^^
    That's about it. You can use whole, crushed, diced or pretty much any kind of canned tomato you want (I prefer no sodium added.) Add whatever herbs you like. Sometime I add a bit of balsamic at the end. If you want meaty sauce, cook your ground meat or sausage first and use that fat to cook the onion. If you want a chunkier sauce, add peppers or mushrooms or whatever after the onions start to soften.
  • Lorilooo
    Options
    Anyone know of a healthy way to make homemade sauce? I'm so done with all the bland already made jar sauces.

I start with this marinara sauce base recipe from Skinny Taste (except I use low sodium or no sodium crushed tomatoes and I don't add the salt listed in the ingredients). You can alter the herbs by adding as little or as much as you like. Sometimes I'll also saute mushrooms, onions, and/or bell peppers to add because I like a chunkier sauce. Of course, you can also add whatever kind of cooked meat you prefer to it as well.

I like doubling the batch and simmering in a crockpot on low for 4-5 hours. Then I freeze at least half the batch in the small Gladware half-cup containers so that I have low calorie, low sodium, and fantastic tasting marinara sauce all the time! Hope this helps! :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/quick-marinara-sauce.html
  • missy204
    Options
    thanks guys for the tips! Can't wait to try them out =) Lori- in the slow cooker? even better!! I luv my slow cooker =P
  • Lorilooo
    Options
    thanks guys for the tips! Can't wait to try them out =) Lori- in the slow cooker? even better!! I luv my slow cooker =P

Yep - in the slow cooker. Of course you could also simmer it on the stove top but why do that when our lovely crockpot can do it just as well! LOL!
  • missy204
    Options
    [/quote]
    Yep - in the slow cooker. Of course you could also simmer it on the stove top but why do that when our lovely crockpot can do it just as well! LOL!
    [/quote]

bahaha exactly =P
  • missy204
    Options
    Lori- tried out your slow cooker idea. It was amazing!! Hubby didn't care for my whole wheat noodles though lol but, said the sauce was pretty tasty! Think I'll do this from now on!:wink:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, garlic, onion, basil, canned no salt tomatoes.......basic and healthy.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The best homemade sauce I've ever made was over the summer when I used tomatoes and basil from the garden. I thought it be a lot of work boiling them and getting the skins off and all that but it really wasn't! It was soooo yummy and fresh tasting! Canned tomatoes are a good alternative and I think the key is letting the sauce cook a long time, crockpots are great for that.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Tomato
    pepper
    onion
    garlic
    basil
    all blended together (sometimes i put mushroom in it too, but above is the basic sauce)

I cook it on the stove for hours or in a slow cooker. Leave a wooden spoon in it while cooking to remove the acidity from the tomatoes.

Then chop up more veggies and add them in.. or meat.. or cheese or all of it.. or whatever you want. lol
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    slow roast the tomatoes in the oven for about an hour before you do anything to them. :)
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you love your slow cooker, try making sauce with fresh tomatos. Just slice and dice them, throw them in the slow cooker with your preferred herbs and spices and let it bubble on low all day. About an hour before you eat (if you're a meat eater) brown some ground turkey in a skillet and stir it in. Yum!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    On All Recipes.come, "Best Marinara Sauce Yet". I have been making this for years, my only change is I used diced or not seasoned tomatoes and do not add the salt. It is also here in the database already. Could not get a good link, but that is the exact name, I make this all the time, great with spaghetti squash or any pasta.
  • Eifersucht
    Options
    1 pound extra lean ground beef (96/4) - brown with a few shakes of garlic salt and black pepper to taste
    2 - 27oz cans of tomato sauce (I use the Meijer Naturals but not sure if you have Meijer where you live)
    1 small can Meijer Naturals no-salt-added tomato paste
    Mix those together really well.
    I sprinkle oregano over the top almost until you can't see the sauce anymore
    Add about 1 teaspoon each of parsley, thyme, sweet basil, and paprika
    Add about 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
    Stir well and let simmer for at least two hours (or slow cooker, whichever you prefer)
    I estimate it at about 12 servings per batch and it comes out to 113 calories, 14 carbs, 2 fat, and 11 protein
  • Lorilooo
    Options
    Lori- tried out your slow cooker idea. It was amazing!! Hubby didn't care for my whole wheat noodles though lol but, said the sauce was pretty tasty! Think I'll do this from now on!:wink:

Glad it worked out for you! Now have you tried spaghetti squash in place of your pasta? :)
  • barbiemommie
    Options
    How do you make spaghetti squash??
  • Lorilooo
    Options

There are a couple of different ways but what I do is slice mine in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff, and bake (cut side down) in the oven at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. After it's cooled for a little bit, take a fork and "shred" the squash. It'll end up looking like spaghetti and then eat that with your marinara sauce. :)
  • barbiemommie
    Options

There are a couple of different ways but what I do is slice mine in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff, and bake (cut side down) in the oven at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. After it's cooled for a little bit, take a fork and "shred" the squash. It'll end up looking like spaghetti and then eat that with your marinara sauce. :)
    :

Thanks I'm def gonna try it!!
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    fresh whole tomatoes- from my garden. I pealed about a thousand this summer and fall.
    basil
    oregano
    cilantro
    fresh garlic
    black pepper
    onion
    green peppers or other whole peppers. banana peppers. etc
    whatever herbs you want to add. I sometimes put theme in mine.
    food processor is the key I don't know what I would do with out mine!
    I always use a small can of tomato paste because the sauce will be deep red with out the paste its good just isn't deep red.
    canned salt - for canning

I can tons and tons of sauce . It's fun. so much better for you then the store bought sauces and less expensive! but you do get tired of pealing a thousand tomatoes. Lol
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Replying to add this to my list. I'd LOVE to make a huge batch of sauce!!