fitbit?

Options
Im wanting to buy a fitbit but they have several of them and i was liking some personal advice on what one you got and how it works for you. I also need to know what the differences are. I have a samsung Galaxy III and dont believe it will sync with it

Replies

• t_illan
    t_illan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am too looking into purchasing a fitbit and would love some feedback from anyone who is using one or have used one! I am leaning towards the fitbit one.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    you'll use it for weeks, then stop...

I used it, along with Zeo (mointors your sleeping). I found Zeo to be better b/c it taught me how my diet affected my sleeping. Better sleep = reduced stress and helps you lose weight easier.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Love my fitbit, use it religiously. I compared all the different options and these are the reasons I bought the fitbit over everything else.
    1: The Size, its tiny.
    2: It works seamlessly with MFP
    3: The price.
    4: The sleep tracking function.
    5: I dont want to wear something on my wrist all day.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you get one, make sure you get an HRM for workouts. The fitbit only counts steps and not exertion. I have the Fitbit one, and it is good, but I recently got a BodyMedia Link armband that records exertion as well and it give a pretty accurate calorie burn. I just have to sync with my pc or ipod to see my progress.
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love fitbit!! I use it all the time. I have used it for almost a year. I even do the sleep monitor option. Fitbit is great, I washed it once and they replaced it for free! I just upgraded to the fitbit one two weeks ago. The very, very sad part...I lost it today. I feel lost without it! ugh! I am hoping it fell off at work or something and I can find it there tomorrow.
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and I love it and have been using it for months. It's never inconvienent or uncomfortable to wear and it's syncs right up with MFP. I don't even use my fitbit phone app. It syncs with my comp anytime I'm within 20 feet I believe. I have friends on the dashboard and check it periodically to see if I'm in the lead in steps. If not I get moving. It's very motivating to me. I shoot for 10,000 steps a day and If I don't feel like I'm going to make it I start pacing lol.
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I got my fitbit in April or May of last year and haven't gone a day without it since. I love how easy it is to use with this program. I love that it is small and clips to anything. I love that it pushes me to do flights of stairs as well as steps because I have to get my badges every day. I love that it tracks my sleep. I will love it even more when it syncs through my Android phone. :)

Some differences. I have the original fitbit - it doesn't sync except through the base you have to have plugged into your computer - the same one that you plug it into to charge its battery. It will never sync any other way. It tracks sleep, stairs, calories, miles and steps.

The Fitbit Zip has a battery - one of those round ones that you can replace when it dies. It tracks steps, calories and miles. It's the cheapest I believe. Comes with a case that holds it nicely and clips to anything. It syncs through a tiny USB dongle

The the Fitbit One - syncs to iphones and they are working on android devices if I remember correctly. So it will eventually sync to the android devices - and everything else is the same as the original fitbit (that I don't know if you can even buy anymore). I think it may also sync through the small dongle that the zip uses, but I'm not positive.

I guess there is also one you can wear on your wrist now - the Flex. I don't like things on my wrist.
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit...not hard to use

I have an older iPhone and you still have a wireless device you can plug into a computer to sync so that alone shouldnt stop you. It's a big eye opener for me someone who sits at a desk all day and I added a lot of people and looove trying to beat them or catch up to their daily steps. Good investment! Still use myfitnesspal perfectly fine :)
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Tom, one bit of correction, the Fitbit does take exertion into account, the faster you move the quicker it adds calories burned. the only thing it wont account for is weight training, or swimming because ya cant wear it swimming.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. I have the fitbit One - it's a great motivator to keep moving. I also never thought I'd use the sleep feature, but I love it and it gives me some really interesting info about my sleep patterns. I love how it syncs with MFP too. It's tiny and discreet - I wear it on the front center of my bra and no one knows it's there and it's completely out of the way. Love it.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    They are coming out with a new fitbit that is like a watch, and I think it will sync with the galaxy III, but I wouldn't hold your breath on when it will be released, after the whole shenanigans with the late release of the one.
  • slhughes18
    slhughes18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit One for my birthday last month and it goes everywhere with me. I find it quite motivational and it syncs with MFP perfectly. The idea of the daily badges encourage you to walk further and I have just received my first lifetime badge for covering over 50 miles! I had never considered before about how far I walk.
    I have an HTC One and it syncs with it sort of. The app runs and gives me some information but it does rely on you syncing with your PC dongle on a regular basis and it then seems to pull that information down and shows it on the phone app. It doesn't provide as much information as using the website so will still be using that for my main daily checks.
    It is very interesting using the sleep function as I was surprised at how many times I wake most nights without even being aware of it.

I think the combination of the Fitbit and MFP work well together and I have found them both effective tools in helping with my weight loss journey.

Hope this helps you make your choice!
  • lisab0864
    lisab0864 Posts: 154
    Options
    I was hoping to give up my BodyMedia Fit and bought a Fitbit -- been wearing the two together for the past 4 days. Everyday the Fitbit has shown 35-40% fewer calories burned than my BMF. Even after adding in my activities (and who wants to do that everyday) the closest I could get it was 15-20% (lower) - which is about the same calorie level that I'm allowed w/MFP (set to Very Active and add in my exercise).

The fitbit is pretty much just a glorified pedometer -- if your legs aren't moving it assumes you aren't doing anything. Even if your legs are moving it doesn't know any other movements you are doing then or any weight you may be carrying. If that isn't a big concern for you than I'm sure that the FitBit (along w/the others) might provide needed motivation.
  • theojt
    theojt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a BM Link but my SO has as both the FitBit and the FitBit One. The difference is that the FitBit is not very sweat proof/water resistant and the FitBit One is better in this area. It also adds Bluetooth which I don't think the FitBit has and its a tad smaller than the original FitBit. The FitBit One has mobile apps available for both iPhone and Android phones (she also has a Galaxy S III). This is all kind of moot since the FitBit One is the replacement for the FitBit and they've priced it lower than the FitBit ($100 v $130). My SO likes the FitBit design because she can clip it to her bra and still get valid readings when she doesn't want it to be obvious (dress occasions).

We both seem to get the most value by using MyFitnessPal to log food and linking our respective on-body device accounts to MFP. Add a Withings WiFi scale and you have a really nice integrated package that capitalizes on the strengths of each discrete tool.

HTH
  • maryj2367
    maryj2367 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I think I will get the fitbit one, I like the sleep feature, I have sleep apnea and I sleep with a cpap machine. I think this may let me know sooner when I need my air turned up. Usually i have to tell by me being very fatigued and just plain wore out for over a week to know that im not getting good rest. i am going to go back through and read the posts again and add everyones comments into my decision. thank you so much. i didnt want to waste the money for a machine i wouldnt be happy with. Im also disabled and on a very limited budget.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit, use it religiously. I compared all the different options and these are the reasons I bought the fitbit over everything else.
    1: The Size, its tiny.
    2: It works seamlessly with MFP
    3: The price.
    4: The sleep tracking function.
    5: I dont want to wear something on my wrist all day.

^this. it gets put in my pocket every morning, and taken out every night.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at buying one as well! This has really helped me decide. Now I just have to think about whether to buy it now or wait until payday. Also black or burgundy?