Good inner thigh exercise for someone who can press 250+lbs?

I started working with a trainer at a gym this week, and I found out today that I can do full reps on the abductor machine at the max weight of 250lbs, and that's without training. I think years of horseback riding (even though I haven't in years) has a lot to do with it, and it was an NSV for me today to learn that I'm so strong in my lower body. But on the flip side, I don't know how to challenge my legs...my trainer doesn't want me "buffing up" so she thinks I should just do more reps. But I'm curious to see if it's possible to challenge them more. Any suggestions from you gym buffs out there?

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    I started working with a trainer at a gym this week, and I found out today that I can do full reps on the abductor machine at the max weight of 250lbs, and that's without training. I think years of horseback riding (even though I haven't in years) has a lot to do with it, and it was an NSV for me today to learn that I'm so strong in my lower body. But on the flip side, I don't know how to challenge my legs...my trainer doesn't want me "buffing up" so she thinks I should just do more reps. But I'm curious to see if it's possible to challenge them more. Any suggestions from you gym buffs out there?

If you trainer is telling you that you'll 'buff up', then my first step would be to get a new trainer.

That aside, are you doing any compound lifts like squats or deadlifts? Free weights will be much harder than the machines.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    I agree on the free weights suggestion--I just started free weights after months on the machines, and I can't lift nearly as much in free weights as on the machines. I can barely squat half of what I could "lift" on the leg press machine. It's a whole new world out there, challenging different muscle groups.

Another good thing about free weights is that there is no ceiling; you can just keep going all the way to the Olympics :)
  • You want to challenge your legs? Try free weights! I can do heavy presses and such on the machines, but free weights are another story! And, you're not going to "buff up" on a caloric deficit...I agree with the above poster, get a new trainer.
  • I started working with a trainer at a gym this week, and I found out today that I can do full reps on the abductor machine at the max weight of 250lbs, and that's without training. I think years of horseback riding (even though I haven't in years) has a lot to do with it, and it was an NSV for me today to learn that I'm so strong in my lower body. But on the flip side, I don't know how to challenge my legs...my trainer doesn't want me "buffing up" so she thinks I should just do more reps. But I'm curious to see if it's possible to challenge them more. Any suggestions from you gym buffs out there?

If you trainer is telling you that you'll 'buff up', then my first step would be to get a new trainer.

That aside, are you doing any compound lifts like squats or deadlifts? Free weights will be much harder than the machines.

There is nothing wrong with my trainer, quick to judge guys, those are my own words!

We have free weights at my gym, so I'll ask her about it. :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member

^^ This.

If you are already very strong in your lower body, then doing heavy compound lifts with maximize your strength.

You will not 'buff up' if you are eating at a deficit and not taking steroids.
  • Another good thing about free weights is that there is no ceiling; you can just keep going all the way to the Olympics :)

Good point! Never thought of it that way :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    More reps are only worth doing if you do them to failure.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member

There is nothing wrong with my trainer, quick to judge guys, those are my own words!

We have free weights at my gym, so I'll ask her about it. :)

It's true, I was quick to judge. There is very little I would so quicly judge on, but asserting that a woman is going to "buff up" is pretty much a red flag for me when it comes to trainers. Sorry :)