Weightlifting hurts my back

Options
I recently started the New Rules of Lifting For Women. I really like cutting all the nonsense from lifting and skipping the "little muscle" exercises like bicep curls and triceps dips. In the past I always avoided the deadlift as I thought it would hurt my back. Now that I'm trying the deadlift, my back is killing me! At first it was the "good pain" from working underused muscles, but now it's painful within an hour after lifting. I don't have problems deadlifting the weight (50 lbs) but my back hates me afterwards.

My chiropractor has also said, don't do the woodchopper exercise--- anything involving rotation is a recipe for back problems.

So my question is: what kinds of multi-muscle exercises can I do that won't mess up my back? I'm thinking pushups, pullups (not that I can do them right now), lunges.... other suggestions?

Replies

• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    If you're already stuck with back issues, why not just concentrate on getting simple exercises right? NROLFW is meant for people with no injury history, and is designed to maximize the metabolic cost of each exercise. You can ALSO just do one exercise right at a time, and then address more vigorous cardio some other time.

For lower body, goblet squat with a dumbbell is pretty safe. I'd get some help with the deadlift. Otherwise, try single leg movements.

Even, if you're really not confident, get some hands-on instruction from a qualified trainer with some experience in rehab/injury, until you know the movements really well.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I think this is a question that you should ask your physio.

Deadlift replacements though:
    single leg db deadlift
    glute ham raise
    good mornings

(unsure if you'll be able to do them)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Has someone checked your form?
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I asked my chiropractor today, and he said deadlifts will ruin the discs in my low back. That explains why it's been hurting so much! He doesn't want me doing any lifting over my head, either--- no dumbbell presses, etc. It's frustrating when I don't know whether the "no pain--no gain" rule applies, and when to listen to my body and call it quits.
  • cyclenut64
    Options
    My son has the same problem but he doesn't keep his back straight during the lift. You should consult a trainer before you give up on something.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    First determine if it is muscle pain or somethign else. Make sure you are keeping the proper alignment with your back, and that you aren't starting the lift by using your lower back to get the weight off the floor. The movement should be started with your legs.
  • dogetta
    dogetta Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Google for videos of deadlifting. All ways keep back flat. Since your new to this exercise try doing it without any wt or very low wt. Warm up I have tight hamstrings which make move more difficult. Try the different variations,but with all that said I also get a back ache and the move never feels natural. So I do other exercises for lower back and the hams and rarely try to do them.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    I asked my chiropractor today, and he said deadlifts will ruin the discs in my low back. That explains why it's been hurting so much! He doesn't want me doing any lifting over my head, either--- no dumbbell presses, etc. It's frustrating when I don't know whether the "no pain--no gain" rule applies, and when to listen to my body and call it quits.

No, definitely go for the 'no pain' rule, if at all possible.

I think it's actually really hard to get good technique. I also think most people will experience injury at one time or another.

For people like us, it's probably a good idea to go remedial for a while. Me, I'm doing Pilates when I can. Getting a grip (so to speak) on posture & core strength will help with everything.

Like I think it's easy for things to go wonky with any kind of big lift if the whole body isn't engaged. Shoulders and lower back will take the pressure if the core isn't into it, or posture isn't right.

Proper deadlift isn't so much a back exercise per se, lifting is supposed to primarily engage the legs (and core, incidentally). But I think, best to stay away from it until you're better generally - i.e., feel NO pain - and have better awareness of your body. That is what I'm telling myself, too :) And why I'm going Pilates. Though bloody hell, it's expensive :/
  • upgetupgetup
    Options

Also, basically, always listen to your body. Resist the temptation to get yourself hyped up.
  • NVREST
    NVREST Posts: 94
    Options
    I do have similar problems with my lower back.

Things that I try to avoid:

That woodchopper you mentioned... nope..
    Very heavy DL's... here you MUST have a good form or you are asking for trouble.
    When lifting weights moving around within the gym, use my legs to lift the weights, not bend and pick the weights with my back.
    Anything that would make me feel any stress in any way, I will avoid it, and look for an alternative.
    For back exercises, not use my lower back, but isolate to my back muscles.

Yeah... it is "limitation", but not impossible. But like some have said. Form and caution it is key to keep you from hurting your back.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Has someone checked your form?

I would say it's likely to be a 'form' issue; perhaps you're trying to lift too heavy too?

Do you use a support belt?
  • MiguelX66
    MiguelX66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So my question is: what kinds of multi-muscle exercises can I do that won't mess up my back? I'm thinking pushups, pullups (not that I can do them right now), lunges.... other suggestions?

It may be a form issue, as others have noted, but it may also be symptomatic of other problems. I found out too late that I have disc degeneration, bone spurs, and curvature in the spine (not severe like scoliosis, but enough to be a concern.) I have been advised to not do any heavy overhead lifting (military press) or anything else that compresses the spine (squats, deadlifts.)

But there are many many alternatives, even using only bodyweight. One-legged squats in particular - google "pistol squats" for example, and start from a seated position on a bench or chair.

Some of the bodyweight leg exercises I do include wall squats (with an exercise ball), forward and reverse lunges, step-ups on a bench, one-leg "dips" from a bench (not sure if there's another name for them) and the pistol squats I mentioned, plus some others.

Compared to heavy lifting with squats and deadlifts, I have to do more sets and reps to really work the muscles, but it can be done.

Good luck!

Oh, and do lots of stretching after your workout. :)
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.