Lower Back Strengthening

Options
Hey guys and gals - I had a question for summa you fitness gurus. I've got a pretty weak lower back, I've gone to chiropractors off and on since I was about 15, one of my lower discs tends to bulge and cause a bit of siatica from time to time (not major) but about once every year or two, the disc bulges full blow and I'm out of commission for at least a week. I know that if I could strengthen the muscles lining my lower spine it would aid greatly in keeping that disc from creeping out and causing pain, but recently I've started on level 2 of 30 Day Shred, and there is a LOT of plank-related exercises that I can tell are much harder for me than they should be because a.) my muscles in my lower back aren't great and b.) i'm in the process of losing weight, but being that I'm a bit over-weight, it naturally makes those exercises harder. So here's muh question - what kind of exercises are best to strengthen my lower back GENTLY and gradually, but are effective enough to where they will make a difference? Thanks in advanced!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a doctor?
  • amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Well, like I said, I've been to chiropractors off and on for years but it's always been for the treatment of the pain, not really to tell me what to do to 'fix' or 'help' it.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Barbell Deadlifts...Start with a low weight barbell like 20lbs and work your way up...
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have this yoga DVD and have found it to be super helpful! He explains things well, doesn't have any spiritual content and goes slow and methodically. I am not a fan of yoga (don't like doing it) but his I can do and I feel so good after! I also have his upper back and neck DVD and love it just as much. Yoga, whether these DVD's or some other, is great for the body and definitely lower back strength. Just remember if it's hurting you should stop. You may want to check with your chiropractor regarding which things it's safe to do but I know most Chiros are big fans of yoga.

Viniyoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum & Hips with Gary Kraftsow (2009)
  • rkmnp
    rkmnp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pilates is a great way to strengthen your entire core (front, back and all around!). I've had low back issues for as long as I can remember. After I started doing pilates twice a week I have seen a dramatic decrease in back pain. 2 years in and I haven't had one debilitating episode. I used to have them at least every 2-3 months before -- and I've always been active.
  • MPilotz
    MPilotz Posts: 10
    Options
    try hyper extensions. even other types of exercises not aimed specifically at you back can strengthen it. Barbell lunges are good for you legs but also your back as it supports some of the weight of the bar.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Well, like I said, I've been to chiropractors off and on for years but it's always been for the treatment of the pain, not really to tell me what to do to 'fix' or 'help' it.

Well, nothing against chiros, but a doctor can run an MRI for you which can often be helpful, as well as direct you to a physical therapist.

I have a bulging disc from an injury...

I dont want to give specific advice, but i will tell you this:

The one thing that made the biggest difference was learning this:

Bending = OK!
    Twisting = OK!
    Bending + Twisting = NEVER DO THIS. EVER.
  • amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for your replies, I'm definitely going to try a combination of ALL of this! <3
  • kristanb05
    Options
    Pilates is a great way to strengthen your entire core (front, back and all around!). I've had low back issues for as long as I can remember. After I started doing pilates twice a week I have seen a dramatic decrease in back pain. 2 years in and I haven't had one debilitating episode. I used to have them at least every 2-3 months before -- and I've always been active.

This! My PT gave me a set of things to do and, as it turns out, most of it is stretching and pilates moves.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Barbell Deadlifts...Start with a low weight barbell like 20lbs and work your way up...

This, hyperextensions, good mornings, but like wellbert said, you might want to consult a sports oriented medical professional first.
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have back issues (herniated discs in the past) and I've found the yoga DVD that was mentioned previously very helpful. Also anything you can do to strengthen your core will help support your spine. Massage therapy is great too. Look for deals on Groupon, etc. Try to see a physical therapist to find out if there are things you should avoid doing.