1200 calorie limit and gaining weight

Options
I'm trying to help a friend who is new to MFP. She has been on MFP for only a week and I think she is being premature in her worry, but here is what she has going on. She is 4' 11" in height with a starting weight of 155 lbs at the age of 49. She put her goal weight at 120 lbs and has been logging everything for a week. MFP has her at 1200 calories, which I told her is the lowest level allowed without going into starvation mode. The problem? She did her first weigh in today a week after starting and she gained three pounds. Oh yeah, she is also not on a workout regimen yet, but plans on joining a gym within the next week or so (other than general housework which she is not logging). Why did she gain weight? Should she be on less than 1200 calories? Any suggestions you could give me so that I may encourage her to keep at it (which she plans to, but still... a little knowlegable advice would help her to feel better about the weight gain). Thanks!

Replies

• eichhorst
    eichhorst Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's probably just water weight, make sure she is drinking plenty of water. If I weigh myself in the morning & then again in the evening I often see a difference of up to 5lbs more or less then the morning weight.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    This is just what happened to me... I was bouncing between 163 and 167 for MONTHS eating 1300 cal. I upped it to 1500 and I've lost 4lbs since. She may need to up her intake.
  • jforciare
    Options
    Thanks eichhorst and cm1458! I will let her know what you both said. I really appreciate the help.

Any other ideas from anybody?
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Up the calories to at least 1500 add in some mild exercise like walking or cycling and drink lots of water. Everyone's body is different and starvation mode is not at 1200 calories for everyone. Also, make sure she is not consuming alcohol, that will drastically slow the metabolism and result in retaining everything she eats.
  • jforciare
    Options
    Thanks atjays!
  • katyclev
    katyclev Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Definitely up her calorie intake! 1200 isnt enough for anyone.