Can you really lose your period from 1200cal a day?

Options
I read that it has happened to certain women to have lost their period from being on a 1200cal diet.. is that true?
Can this really happen to anyone?

Replies

• jensnewstart
    jensnewstart Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wish....1200 and I still get it :grumble:
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Dude really? That's it I'm cutting calories back down! J/K But still would be a cool side effect
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Not from a 1200 calorie diet, but if your body fat gets too low then you will. My sister went through that and had to go on the pill to regulate her system.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    no
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It can happen for a lot of reasons. I'm not on a 1,200 cal a day diet and I haven't had a period in like 7 years. My hormones are all screwed up.

Being malnourished is certainly one of the reasons someone would have amenorrhea (not saying that 1,200 a day is malnourished). Intense exercise and dramatic weight loss are causes as well (it's called hypothalamic amennorhea - usually associated with athletes).
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It can happen for a lot of reasons. I'm not on a 1,200 cal a day diet and I haven't had a period in like 7 years. My hormones are all screwed up.

Being malnourished is certainly one of the reasons someone would have amenorrhea (not saying that 1,200 a day is malnourished). Intense exercise and dramatic weight loss are causes as well (it's called hypothalamic amennorhea - usually associated with athletes).

What smartypants said! ;-)
  • Sililily115
    Options
    Even when my goal was 1700 I lost my period... maybe its unrelated but when I gained weight back it eventually came back
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I still had mine when I was 1200 cals and I am on birth control to shorten and lighten it.
  • Km0714
    Km0714 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i wish!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Dude really? That's it I'm cutting calories back down! J/K But still would be a cool side effect

:laugh: If that worked.....man it'd be tempting!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Only if you are working out at professional or military levels. For most it depends on % body fat, so any factor has to be repeated over time.

If eating under 1200 itself were enough, I would risk other half factors!!
  • MegDaig
    MegDaig Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Usually a loss of period when low calorie dieting is because dietary fats get too low. You need your EFAs so don't skimp on them. Fat doesn't make you fat. Shoot for 0.45g of fat per pound of body weight.

But to be honest, no one should be eating only 1200 calories a day. Most of us should be able to lose easily at 1600 calories. There is no such thing as a slow metabolism, unless you are diagnosed hypothyroid.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Women have a higher fat percentage than men do naturally in order to maintain our lovely monthly guest.

When you put your body into starvation mode I am guessing the body wants to preserve all the energy it can. Producing blood cells costs lots of energy.

Please don't it your body into starvation mode -thereby ruining your chance to lose weight and maintain it healthily - just to rid yourself of your period. You're a woman that is part of the deal.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    When i first started dieting (and not as low as 1200), I lost my period for the first month. It eventually returned on its own.
  • Kristineevans1
    Kristineevans1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes totally if you are exercising a lot and eating little fat in your diet, it has been said above and I speak from experience but also everyone is different so one fat % might be ok for one but not for another
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Around 10 years ago I lost mine for 3 years. I have no idea how much I was eating--I wasn't tracking my calories. I was a vegetarian at the time and running 6 days a week. I loved not having to deal with it. But, in the long run, I think it messed with my hormones not having a period. My body fat was 13%

After my doctors urging, I upped my calories and cut back on the exercise and it returned.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I wish... no luck yet!
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    a) 800 cals? jesus....

b) when I first got really into working out and running and logging I was on a 1200 cal diet. I lost my period in April and it didn't decide to reappear until January after I had been on a 1500 cal diet for a month. Just my experience. I'm no pro though. :)

ETA: I don't think it's JUST the 1200 cal diet that does it though. I think it's a lot of contributing factors, especially when you greatly increase your physical activity. I went from doing NOTHING to running A LOT and cut calories drastically to get to 1200.

It does take a drastic change, also lack of a peroid is a sign that you could be hurting your body.