Night shift curse: How to tame it

Options
Hi all. I am an RN who works the night shift. As a general rule, it is a researched fact the people who work night shift are less healthy than people who work day shift simply because of sleep deprivation and eating habits.

I am interested to read what some of your favorite tips are to being fit and eating right while working this shift. I do really good on the days that I'm off, but I struggle when I work because of the way I have to sleep. Any and all suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• Chrissy180
    Chrissy180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As a fellow night nurse I know what you're going through. I weighed 170 lbs 5 years ago when I graduated nursing school. After 5 years in this field I weigh 275. I'm changing my habits and working out 4 times a week whether I'm off or not. Not snacking at work has made a big difference. I eat lunch around 11 pm and then dinner around 5 am. Now I am a ICU nurse, so I can tear away most nights to so this, while I know this may not be possible for you. Then I hit the gym every other day when I get off at 7am. I cut out cokes and drink water with Mio and instead of coffee I'm drinking sugar free, no calorie Monster drinks..Lol, its not the best option, but I can't make it without some kind of caffeine, and it tastes like mountain dew, so it's like I'm drinking a coke without the calories. Good luck to you in your journey!!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I work swing shift and there are no tricks, you just burn more than you eat, there are many many nightshifters here on MFP, we have a running thread if you ever want to talk to anyone.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/853064-official-nightshift-thread?page=4
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have been working the night shift for over 2 years. I have had no issues with either losing or gaining weight. I competed in two shows while working a night shift schedule. Time of day is meaningless.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    you just have to take control of your own choices. I believe that night shift does present some challenges that many other people would not otherwise have. However all challenges are different for all people anyway. So handle your challenges by finding a solution to the problem. They are your problems and you need to find a solution that will work for you.
  • MaxlacusNight
    MaxlacusNight Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello Darling, I work a 6pm to 6am job in live virus manufacturing. It's not for everyone but I substitute one or two of my meals with Whey protein powder and unsweetened almond milk. I graze on fruits and veggies in combination with high proteins such as almonds, peanut butter, and various meats. Usually from a can. XD I also eat one square meal a day. At work this is usually a smart one, (And I don't want to hear any crap about it being junk. It's fast and good enough for price and convenience.)

On days I have off, I stay to schedule so I wake up pretty late and go to bed pretty late. I will usually work out right after I wake up at the local apartment complex gym. However, tonight I went at 3:30 Am. I'm a very self conscious person so I found this to be way more fun. I was singing and dancing in the little gym. Basically if you can get a half hour walk in on your days off and stick to calorie cutting. You will at least maintain if not loose. I've lost six pounds and I've only been doing it two weeks. I'm with Medic though, I eat as if I were awake on days. I wake up and have breakfast and at 6 am, I have dinner. :) Hope it helps. Feel free to add as a friend if you need help and motivation or just wanna browse through my diary.
  • gretaliana
    Options
    Hello, I am also a RN who works nights. The best thing I have done is to restrict my work schedule to no more than 30 hours a week and sleep as much as possibe. This gives me a few days during the week for function "normally." I do not pick up extra shifts -ever. This is what I have to do to stay healthy and sane and if it means a little less money that is ok. When I work at night I usually eat "breakfast" around 2 or 3am and I do not drink anything after about 4:30. I leave work around 7:15 and arrive home at 7:30 most days and do not eat anything - I change my clothes, turn on the tv for a few minutes and then go to sleep.

When I wake up (anywhere from 2p-4p) I have a snack and usually work out. As you can tell, my schedule is pretty strict but as I have gotten older and wiser I realize this is how I need to treat myself. Learning to say no has given me freedom. I am hoping this will help me on my journey to lose weight.

And if you aboslutely cannot cut your hours, try to sleep as much as possible. Sleep deprivation is a culprit in weight gain.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i do a swinging shift and i'll tell you, it is hard as hell to control it. i know that having good food options that i bring with me to work, and healthy stuff in the fridge help me control myself. i also know that when i'm on nights, i tend to binge a little.

a little binging is okay.

i like pizza, usually when i wake up at 2pm or right before going in to work. so i limit myself when i'm on nights. i only allow myself to order pizza twice while on nights, and no more then two slices at a time.

i also track everything!!! but i know that on a crazy schedule, my body needs more food. so i don't worry about going over. and i try and hit the gym first thing in the morning before i head home.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am an RN who works the night shift. As a general rule, it is a researched fact the people who work night shift are less healthy than people who work day shift simply because of sleep deprivation and eating habits.

I am interested to read what some of your favorite tips are to being fit and eating right while working this shift. I do really good on the days that I'm off, but I struggle when I work because of the way I have to sleep. Any and all suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I am a police officer and this is my 5th year on night shift. I certainly don't concider myself "unhealthy," lol.

I eat the same as anyone else. Just at different hours. I have an omelet at 3 in the afternoon instead of 8 in the morning...and I eat about every 3-4 hours or so until I eat my last meal around 3 or 4 in the morning. You just have to ignore the stigma of when meals are "supposed to be eaten."

I like to do my weight training after work, so between 7-8am. I go home and then go to sleep. I never take prescription meds to help me sleep. I do take melatonin on days that I am not feeling especially tired, and it helps me to sleep as much as I need to. When I do cardio, I do it after waking up in the afternoon. This schedule works great for me, but just find something that works for you. Not everyone is going to respond positively to the same routines.

I make my meal plans for a week ahead of time here on MFP. Once again, just ignore the "times" that you are "supposed to" eat and just log the things that you will eat between waking up and going to sleep on the same log here on MFP even if they are technically 2 days. I plan ahead because it helps me to stick with the plan rather than just going back later and logging what I ate and hoping for the best. (This also worked before I was on third shift, even though I wrote it down in a notebook instead of coming here...I've only been on this website a couple of years so far)

I hope this helps some!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    After working night shift for a couple of jobs now, I've gotten a rhythm down. Basically, I pack my own food (I work 12 hour shifts so that's a considerable amount. I also don't bring alot of unhealthy foods to work. When I pack my lunch, I make sure to make at least half of it vegetables. Snacks consist of fruit and a type of protein and maybe a small amount of bread. But everything is planned before I come in to work and with very few exceptions do I break away from what I have planned to eat. I also usually log everything before I eat it.

Making sure to get exercise in is my biggest downfall. It's alot harder to find time to exercise. Not because I work nights, but because I work 12 hour shifts. I also swing from nights to days every 2 months, which is actually the hardest thing I have to cope with. I personally prefer working nights because I get more sleep. My husband is a SAHD so he watches the children and is really good about keeping them quiet while I'm trying to sleep.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I joined a few months ago while on a 2nd, (3:30 to Midnight), for 2 weeks and then back 12's, (5:30pm to 6am), for two weeks. Using my smart phone and laptop to log in EVERYTHING is crucial! By the time I was heading to work I had logged in all the foods I ate, the foods I would eat that night and all exercise. With that I knew exactly where I stood. From there, with the numbers staring me in the face, it was stil my choice. This was very sobering and helpful.

Also, and this is also key, get friends on here! They can help keep you in line and you can encourage them also. Please feel free to add me if you like.

Hoping the best for you. You can do this!!
  • chellep12
    chellep12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on night shifts constantly (23.30-08.00) for the past 7 months and have felt a huge difference in the way I eat and believe that it has affected my weight (hence re-starting MFP!)

I find it difficult to eat 3 meals a day. I usually have one meal at 03.00/04.00 which is like a lunch meal - e.g. baked potato / sandwich / salad / pasta and fruit, and maybe then have a small snack - e.g. cereal bar at around 06.00/08.00. I then do a short workout before bed, and sleep until around 17.00. I would then join straight back in with my family and have my main meal a couple of hours after I wake up. I log everything!

This is a big difference to before Christmas, as I was snacking constantly and having a breakfast-style meal/snack when I got home in the morning before I went to bed. I have reduced my caloric intake a lot and am more active now, so hopefully will start to see a difference.

I don't know if the fact that I don't have 3 meals might stop me from seeing results, or slow down any results that I'm working for? Also, because I am working out directly before bed whether this might have an effect?
  • deets1230
    deets1230 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Night Shift RN (12 1/2-13 1/2hr shift) for over 13 years now. Used to be able to bounce back from a shift easily on days off. Now it takes 2 days to bounce back. Worse of all insomnia on the days off is ridiculous.

Time of day is not meaningless. We are human beings and our bodies were not created to be functioning at night.

Regardless of the fact that I know my health suffers from working at night, I would not trade the benefits of working at night for working during the daytime. Benefits-less visitors, less doctors, no stuffed shirts,easy going coworkers also more money.

Some changes I have made over the years that help at least not gain as much. Like Belinda, pack own food. I also try not to schedule any extra shifts. On the day I work I sleep really late that morning. I don't exercise on the days I work because I feel really tired at work. On my feet most of the shift so I think that should count as exercise. Recently limiting coffee. I now drink tea with splenda to help through the night.

If anyone has any tips on how to log food let me know. Worked last night and I put all of my meals up until 7am on the previous days meals. When I woke up today at 2pm I put meals for today. Since I don't have to work tonight I will probably not meet my calories today.

Glad to see there are other vampires:laugh: trying to get in shape in 2013!
  • 2013allboutme
    Options
    I also work night shift. Was working 12hrs and gained about 40 pounds in 7 months. I have switched jobs and work only 8hrs now, which has helped. I pack my own food and try not to take money into work with me. Not taking money has helped a lot to stay away from the vending machine. I also quite drinking soda even diet, and limit my coffee.
    For logging food I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. I think I'll make a space and name it work so I'll track what I eat at work there.

If anyone has any tips please share.

Feel free to add me as a friend
  • amymina
    amymina Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have fought with my weight most of my life, and also as a night shift RN, knew losing the weight was going to be tough. I needed to remove temptations and reasons to keep ordering out. I started by eating before I left the house. I eat my breakfast at three in the afternoon, but usually it is more of a dinner and is my biggest meal of the day. I pack a small cooler that I carry in over my shoulder of food, and put all of this food into the tracker before I leave the house. It usually including some type of frozen vegetable since size, a fruit or two, a sandwich - I use laughing cow cheese instead of mayo or sliced cheese on my sandwich, a fiber one bar, sighted a frozen pretzel or small Baggie of rice cakes, and a yogurt.

Working out is harder. With my hours worked and driving time, my day is shot by the time I get home. I only get to workout on days I do not work and the days that I didn't work the day before, so I can get up a little earlier. As for days were I work a few days in a row, and get home about 7ish and r up at three in the afternoon. My husband keeps the kids quiet and gets them off the bus for me. I did have to work overtime because I am the sole provider, so it can be tough to make the time, but something I am learning is the word "no". It has become necessary. The hospital will go on without me. Let me know if u want friends-would love to have someone who understands exactly where I am coming from.
  • Chrissy180
    Chrissy180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm also a night RN. I log mine from midnight to midnight. I eat my supper around 11 pm. and then anything after that is logged on the next day. Thats just the easiest way for me to do it.
  • dieseldan9
    Options
    Night shift here also, been doing it for 8 years now. IMO it helps me cause all the cravings I have for bad foods I cant have because the places are closed :-)

I work out at around 3am which for me is the afternoon.
  • mic1mam
    mic1mam Posts: 33
    Options
    I too work nights, 5pm to 330am. I log my breakfast, what I eat when I get up, it may be a breakfast item or a lunch item. I eat lunch before going to work, this is when I log everything for the day. When I pack my dinner I log it, dinner for me is usually around 9pm. I take snacks to work that I have about 6pm and midnight. Some days I carry extra snack with me, if I eat it then I log from my phone at work. With my end of day at 330am that is what I consider the end of day for logging.
    Feel free to add me as a friend, I just recently started this and need friends for support also.:smile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I just treat it as a regular day and eat what I would eat if I were not working nights. Usually 3 meals and a snack. I just log them into the time slot that I eat them. I've been working overnights for so long, I'm kind of pigeonholed into it. Not going to let the fact that I work nights interfere with anything.
  • squidbully
    squidbully Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    glue apple slices all over ur body
    works every time.
  • Marg3030
    Marg3030 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this question. I work shift and have found the responses helpful. Your research is right about increased health problems. I attended a lecture on this many years ago and it was also noted that there was a proportion of workers that dropped out very quickly because they just could not tolerate the disruption - about 10%. I am finding it harder as I get older.