Machines and free weights

Options
Just wanted to share....
I have used machines for shoulder press and injured my left shoulder. After reading MFP posts about using free weights I begun incorporating free weights into my routine. The same motions that, when using machines, caused me pain suddenly didn't when I begun using dumbbells. I have also switched from smith machine to barbell for squats and bench press. On the smith machine I was bench pressing 120 lbs. On my first try at the barbell I could only bench press 50 lbs! However, I am slowly progressing, today I was able to do 90lbs. Has anyone experienced this? Switching from machines to free weights?

Replies

• username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    congratulations on making the move ;)

yes, you will absolutely notice a difference, your body is working harder with the free weights and using extra muscles you probably didnt know you had to affect the same movement you were doing on a machine. essentially you dont have the help of the machine, so its going to be be harder for you to do on your own for a little while.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Machines control the trajectory of the movement, making it slightly unnatural, and awkward for some people. When using free weights you have the opportunity to move in the range of motion that is right for you (though never sacrifice proper form!!)

It also makes you engage other supporting muscles to assist with stabilising the weight, so is a much better alternative. Great progress too. Nice work!
  • MeABride2B
    Options
    Due to some illness/physical limitations, I only use free weights. I feel like there are so many benefits.
    It definitely has helped my core!
    As PP says, you're using many more muscles!

Congrats on the switch. I really think that you will like it. And also see some great results :)
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    When I first started I used a pulley\cable leg press machine, and I did presses on a smith machine. I think I stalled out "benching" something like 3x8x102 on the smith. After that for about 14 weeks I did flat and incline DB presses instead. With no change to my eating really or increase in my bodyweight, I was then able to do 3x6x165 on a real flat bench barbell press.
  • scottjames84
    Options
    I just started going to the gym last week and have a routine with a workout buddy, we use a combo of free weights and machine; mainly free weights though.
    Last session was our first time doing back and shoulders; during the military press with dumb bells my shoulder popped out of socket; damn it hurts. Few days later and shoulder is feeling a lot better.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share....
    I have used machines for shoulder press and injured my left shoulder. After reading MFP posts about using free weights I begun incorporating free weights into my routine. The same motions that, when using machines, caused me pain suddenly didn't when I begun using dumbbells. I have also switched from smith machine to barbell for squats and bench press. On the smith machine I was bench pressing 120 lbs. On my first try at the barbell I could only bench press 50 lbs! However, I am slowly progressing, today I was able to do 90lbs. Has anyone experienced this? Switching from machines to free weights?

Actually, I am currently transitioning from smith machine to power rack. When I stopped using the smith machine a few weeks ago, I could also squat 120#. The first time I squatted outside the smith machine, I sweet talked the trainer into just placing the oly bar on my back--I knew I could squat 45#. The next time I did 75# (8x1), 85# (8x1), 90# (8x1) and 95#(8x1). My main issue is balance, but I think I am starting to get a handle on it.

what everyone keeps telling me is that balance and form is an issue when you switch. I'm guessing that your issue with your bench is that you are not used to balancing a loaded bar...
  • tdelo7634
    tdelo7634 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just to note-- Smith bar is at least 10 - 15 pounds lighter, depending on which actual machine it is.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    When I first started (this time around), I started on the cable machines... I did not stay there long, then progressed to the bar weight machines... I have been gradually adding free-weights to my routine. Each time I have progressed from one level to another (bands to bar to free), I find my resistance level is challenged. One thing with bands is that over time, they wear so the actual resistance is compromised. As others have said, when we progress to the free weight we have to totally control the free weights so it does use additional stabilizer muscles... I am glad of your post because I have found that the shoulder press maching (that I do still use btw in addition to my free weight exercises) does tend to cause some problems with the shoulders. It is the point of getting my shoulders up to do the exercise that causes the problem... I can easily handle the weight once my arms are up but the process of getting it up crosses an unnatural plane and hence I cannot use as much weight as my shoulders themselves could handle.

When I went from strictly chest press to a Smith Machine assisted bench my weight dropped dramatically BUT now, I can handle nearly as much weight as I can on the chest press machine. On the free-weight bench, however, it is a lot less but improving. I still use the Smith most of the time because of the stops and I seldom have spotters available.

All in all, I would say that it is essentially a progression and that you are wise to go on to the free weights to avoid further problems with the shoulder press.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Just to note-- Smith bar is at least 10 - 15 pounds lighter, depending on which actual machine it is.

I looked up the one I was using when I started, and it was 12 lbs total. sucked when I figured out i was lifting 33lbs less than I thought...
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that your issue with your bench is that you are not used to balancing a loaded bar...

Yes, the balance is the hardest part. I feel I could lift more but it is the balance that holds me back. I have been adding weights and I am very glad to have made the switch. It really is due to reading comments on this message boards.
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Due to some illness/physical limitations, I only use free weights. I feel like there are so many benefits.
    It definitely has helped my core!
    As PP says, you're using many more muscles!

Congrats on the switch. I really think that you will like it. And also see some great results :)

Thank you!