disgusted wih myself

Options
I Can't seem to stop the binge eating!!! it is rediculous! i am sick of being fat, but i can't stop binge eating!!! i don't know how to convince myself not to eat so much! it seems as if i am never satisfied and i keep gaining weight, which makes me lose hope and then i binge more! i have undid all of my hardwork :( i am so disgusted with myself. i feel huge and am depressed about how nasty i look :(

Replies

• meganrselis
    meganrselis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can I just say: I'm right there with you!
    I just joined myfitnesspal tonight and I am making the CHOICE to change!
    I have been a balooner, yo-yo dieter, you name it. One year I lost 80 pounds but gained it all back plus 30 more!
    The binging stops NOW! Just say no! Stop thinking about the food. When your mind says "chicken wongs sound good right now..." STOP! REFOCUS on something else! Take a picture of yourself at your heaviest and keep it in your wallet! Look at it when you are tempted!
    We CAN do this!
    Let's do it together!
  • Funnydream
    Funnydream Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    In addition to what Megan said - sometimes thirst masquerades as hunger. If you feel hungry, you may just be thirsty, so drink a big glass of water BEFORE you make the decision to eat and see if you feel still the same way. Chances are - the water will fill you.

It is possible to break the binge-addiction cycle (it is an addiction). It's like getting through any detox - you have to go cold turkey for a few days and then it is possible to radically re-think your food intake.

Just perservere !!!!!

Good Luck.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME problem...even if i am full and i have food left over, i can't bring myself to throw it away, so i end up overeating it. a good thing to do is get a small plate when you serve yourself food. eat all of it slowly, enjoy each and every bite, and then wait 10 to 15 minutes to see if you are still hungry,drink a glass of water(like funnydream mentioned) then you can go back for more. My thing is if i know its in the kitchen, i HAVE to eat it, so instead of getting a ben n jerry's pint size icecream and eating it all in one or two days, i get the small tiny sized ones and get one or two of them. and if i "munch:" i will not eat directly from the bag. i look at the back of the bag for the serving size, get a small plate and put that amount on the plate so i can SEE what i'm eating. i hope these little tidbits will help you out, and its still hard for me to listen to myself with these things cause sometimes i crave that overly stuffed filling, until it happens then i feel like a sloth and a blimp. we jsut have to retrain our brains to know what "full" really feels like instead of what gluttenly feels like.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I think the best thing you can do is force yourself to log every single thing that you eat. I think that was the thing that really struck a cord with me. It made me think about how much I was eating. I got to the point where I would plan my food the day before and if it wasn't on my food plan, I just didn't have it. You can stop the binge eating. It seems impossible but you have to get your priorities straight and always remember your reasons for wanting to lose weight. You will look and feel amazing and you will be so proud of yourself for conquering your food addiction.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I Can't seem to stop the binge eating!!! it is rediculous! i am sick of being fat, but i can't stop binge eating!!! i don't know how to convince myself not to eat so much! it seems as if i am never satisfied and i keep gaining weight, which makes me lose hope and then i binge more! i have undid all of my hardwork :( i am so disgusted with myself. i feel huge and am depressed about how nasty i look :(

Sometimes food isn't so much about food as it is about emotions, I find journaling can really help me out with that. Logging food and writing down what emotions you're feeling before eating, while you're eating and then after can often help when you know you're not eating for the proper reasons, it can help open up the window to understanding. If I want to eat and I have just finished a meal or a planned snack I know I'm not hungry physically so it's gotta be something else. Being on MFP I'm learning that there are many forms of 'hungry'. Someone mentioned water, could also be emotions we're trying to stuff down (oftentimes we don't even know it, that's where journaling/blogging can really help out), so many other things that have absolutely nothing to do with food. It could be boredom, it could be our body trying to tell us it needs to get more physical.

Just sharing what's worked for me, hope you find something that helps you out as well!:flowerforyou:
    Becca:heart:
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know i have been there too and i am prepared to get backslides at one point. Though for me it helped to actually write *everything* down i ate to see how much that really was. It was quite a shock for me because i thought 'can't be that bad'. To see how much i actually ate and how much money that costs has been the biggest shock in years and helped me a LOT to cut it down.

Also to eat very very slow helped me and to grab things like salad, carrots, other veggis when i felt i am still hungry instead of bigger portions and sweet stuff and so on. It costs some strength at times especially at the start, but to think about how much money i can save gave me the push to keep it up in the beginning and to help me say "stop"
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Get a kitchen scale. I got one at Target for $5. I don't weigh everything, but if something has a serving size labeled in ounces, it's hard to guess that amount. I weigh the same thing a few times until I can eyeball it. It's really helpful to keep portion sizes accurate. By the way, great advice all!
  • jadenfox
    jadenfox Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Im disgusted with myself too. I am within 3-5 pounds of my goal weight and have done nothing but eat and eat (nothing but crap too) for a week now. I havent gained, but I havent budged the scale an ounce. I walk 3 miles or more a day and do aerobics a couple times a week but its not helping now.

I dont know what to do anymore. Hugs to you though, and good luck!
  • hjenkins45
    Options
    Hi, the very first thing that you must do is stop talking about and to yourself like that, It is simply non-productive, which keeps you thinking and speaking like that. Then stop focusing on the weight gain and begin to focus simply on being healthy and strive for that. If you do not exercise, then start doing something simple and short everyday until you feel like you can do more. It is a constant challenge, but you can and will succeed. :o)
  • econn
    econn Posts: 157
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! Hopefully I can get out of this stupid rut I have been in! :)