Evening Snack

Options
Do you have a snack before (or near) bedtime?

What time do you stop eating for the day?

I've found that I eat mindlessly at night and I am considering cutting my eating off at 7pm.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I've found that I eat mindlessly at night and I am considering cutting my eating off at 7pm.

I eat a lot of food at night. I don't have a cutoff time as I think it's silly.

(Stay within your calorie target and it doesn't matter).
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It depends totally on what is going on with my work schedule. I snack on hummus a lot and like natural peanut butter on homemade eziekiel bread
  • richytm
    richytm Posts: 16
    Options
    I tend not to eat breakfast so have a few calories to play with most nights.

I like to have either pickled onions, tin of soup/tuna or even a microwave cod in butter sauce.
    I can't even think of sleeping if I'm the slightest bit hungry.
  • Kadesha72
    Kadesha72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't get home from work til about 6, then I cook dinner... about 30 after we eat I have an ice cream treat ONLY if I've been good that day and have the calories left in my limit... I get the "Sweet Freedom" sort and its much less damaging. I only have like 1/2 a cup or so... its a wonderful way to reward myself at the end of the day.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

I eat a lot of food at night. I don't have a cutoff time as I think it's silly.

(Stay within your calorie target and it doesn't matter).
    ^this Just got done eating some chocolate ice cream, eat it pretty much every night. And my macros are tight most of the time.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot at night. Usually around 500 calories after dinner. But if you find that cutting yourself off helps you meet your goal that's fine, I'd just rather allot more calories for evening and have a smaller lunch.
  • SharonaSunshine
    Options
    I try not to eat too late, just because I know it's in my favor to eat early and burn off some of those calories. That being said, I heard someone say once that it doesn't matter what time you eat, as long as you stay within your caloric intake within the 24 hour period. I tend to not eat anything after dinner. Once I'm done with dinner, I tell myself, "Ok, that's it, you're done... so don't even think about anything else."
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    There could be a reason behind why your eating so much at night. Plan 5-6 small meals a day in which most should contain protein! Here is an example from Jamie Easons livefit plan:

Breakfast : 5 egg whites, 1 serving of starch & unlimited veg.
    Mid-Morning: Turkey, unlimited veg.
    Lunch: Lean meat (chicken breast, white turkey, white fish like tilapia etc), 1 serving of starch, salad and unlimited veg.
    Mid-Afternoon: Turkey, unlimited veg.
    Dinner: Lean meat, 1 serving of starch & unlimited veg.
    Evening: 5-6 egg whites & unlimited veg.

I hope this helps!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever. No cut off time. Doesn't make a difference.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    i eat when I'm hungry and often have a beer and ice cream right before bed
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I carry a large bag full of food and water to work every day and still only eat about half my calories before supper. Darn skippy I get a snack!
  • orangeyellowkayak
    orangeyellowkayak Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I get home from work before 4 and I am hungry so I eat dinner early so I do have a snack in the evening. Before I came to MFP I at everything and anything now I have something good for me. tonight I had an apple and peanut butter.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Ill have up to 1kg of Watermelon and Rockmelon. Takes care of the void in my stomach, and feels the sweet spot with barley any calories.

If i have a few calories to burn ill double up on my pre-made breki smoothie - 1 Banana, 1/2 Mango, 10 Strawberries, 1 Cup pineapple Juice.

That defiantly fills me up, and absolutely kicks any cravings out the front door.

And if im feeling a bit naughty, and have 150 odd calories to spare, ill slip in a Cornetto. :smile:
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    About 6 almonds that come dusted with coaco
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think the main trick for me with night time eating is logging it early. I know I'm going to be snacking, so I go ahead and put it into MFP well in advance most of the time. That gives me the ability to eat my night-time snack, but also the trigger I need to measure everything carefully and stay within my self-proscribed targets.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I go to bed at 10:00. Between 9:00 and 9:30, I usually either have some fruit or a glass of milk with Ovaltine. Sometimes cinnamon toast, if I have 'room' for bread carbs and sugar.
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I get home from work around 5:30 and by the time dinner is done, cleaned up and kids ready for bed, I then do my workout. By the time I'm done it's 8:00 so my evening snack is post workout. Tonight it was an apple with peanut butter.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I do most of my eating from dinner until bed time. Literally, as I am walking up the steps to my bedroom, I am munching on something. Ice cream, cookies, cereal bars, peanut butter, ETC...

At the present time, between both of my freezers, I have 18 different ice cream flavors.
  • susanwondera
    Options
    My dietician recommends that I stop eating by 7pm. I have yet to do this as I tend to stay up late. Susan
  • Lugi2
    Lugi2 Posts: 15
    Options
    I normally stop eating by 8pm. But there are times that I just get hungry before bed, so I eat some fruits, normally an apple or a grapefruit (I know there's plenty of sugar in them, but they're natural and filling). Sometimes I would have a glass of warm soy milk.