Over on protein?

Options
I am usually pretty good about staying within the dietary goals MFP has set for me, but I almost always go over on protein; I usually eat some with every meal. I'm not all that concerned about it, so I guess my question is should I be?

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind that I looked at a few days in your diary to see how far over you are in protein. It's not bad to go a little over , but I noticed that a couple of days you were close to twice the given value and very low on carbs. Be careful there, your body needs approx. 130 grams of carb a day for brain function, and if it doesn't get it it will use energy from other sources to preserve all carbohydrates for that purpose. You could end up very low energy and "foggy headed" if you do that too much. Too much protein can be hard on your kidneys, but that is usually more of an issue for people with preexisting kidney problems( it can make things worse). If you want to reevaluate your goal setting to make room for more protein, you can as many people who work out a lot up their protein a little I believe that about 40% calories from carb, 40% from protein and 20% from fat is a ratio that works well for some people. Above all, listen to your body. If you start to feel tired a lot or "off" check your diet and talk to your doctor about any adjustments you need to make
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I, too, go over on protein often too--and under on carbs and sugar because I naturally can't eat bread products due to Celiac's Disease--so my carbs are limited from that. The info the poster above seems very useful--but I can't ever imagine eating tons of carbs. I'll go over my nutrients again with my Trainer and see what she says.

good luck!
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well, I am going to disagree. My trainer and nutritionist both think I should be at 130 + in protein daily (I am right around 200 lbs) I also workout 5 days a week 90 minutes plus weekend walks.
    It doesn't look like you are getting anywhere close to that. I don't have any fogginess from lack of carbs, but I usually eat between 150-200 carbs per day. If you are eating more protein, need to be sure you are drinking lots of water and fiber. I wouldn't worry about going over on your protein unless you have kidney issues. :flowerforyou:
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I too go over on my protein.......I always have more protein (130-150) than carbs or atleast equal and i am feeling awesome! I work out 6-7 days a week and feel fantastic! Everyone is different, just listen to your body if you feel good then do it! My trainer also told me to increase my protein since I workout everyday. Just play around with it and see what works for you!
  • gmclachl
    gmclachl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Anyone who trains heavily should increase their protein intake, this is because your body has to rely heavily upon dietary sources rather than draw from it's own stores. So the limit set on this site seems, for me, to be on the low side. Perhaps because it is based on a sedentary individual.

At the very least I aim for 1g of protein for every lb of body weight, so I am hitting ~170 every day. Now that the rugby season has finished I have no issue in reducing the number of carbs I will eat and replacing those calories with ones high in protein.

George
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    Anyone who trains heavily should increase their protein intake, this is because your body has to rely heavily upon dietary sources rather than draw from it's own stores. So the limit set on this site seems, for me, to be on the low side. Perhaps because it is based on a sedentary individual.

At the very least I aim for 1g of protein for every lb of body weight, so I am hitting ~170 every day. Now that the rugby season has finished I have no issue in reducing the number of carbs I will eat and replacing those calories with ones high in protein.

George

hi, I was just wondering when you say anyone who trains heavily should up their protein- do you mean weight training or any? Cos I've been doing mostly cardio and have laid off my protein since starting on mfp, so far I'm feeling pretty good but I just wanted to check with you:)
  • gmclachl
    gmclachl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not a nutritionist, this is only from my own research.

I would recommend "The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition" by Anita Bean. She is well respected in her field, and her recommendation when on a fat loss program combined with exercise, is 1.2-1.6g per kg or bodyweight. A lot of other weight training sites/trainers recommend more.
  • alipetrey
    alipetrey Posts: 18
    Options
    Too much protein in the american diet is cause for boneloss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    Well, I am going to disagree. My trainer and nutritionist both think I should be at 130 + in protein daily (I am right around 200 lbs) I also workout 5 days a week 90 minutes plus weekend walks.
    It doesn't look like you are getting anywhere close to that. I don't have any fogginess from lack of carbs, but I usually eat between 150-200 carbs per day. If you are eating more protein, need to be sure you are drinking lots of water and fiber. I wouldn't worry about going over on your protein unless you have kidney issues. :flowerforyou:

lreed,

This may be good for you, at your weight, and at your age, with your type of activity. I assume you are doing weights or resistance training if you have a "trainer" at a gym? Careful what you recommend as far as "numbers" to anyone else. We are all at different points and the numbers are not One-Size-Fits-All.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So to the original poster:

You can re-set your recommended protein intake. But first of all, you need to eat lots more vegetables. You will get the needed protein, carbs and vital nutrients like potassium, iron, B Vits, Vit C, fiber, Vit A, Calcium. All from veggies!!

You need to keep your meat intake low. Stick with lean meats. (Chicken, turkey, fish, pork). You will feel so much better if you start to figure out ways to incorporate vegetabel into your diet.

It's hard for me, too. You can do it.
  • barbara6
    barbara6 Posts: 14
    Options
    My doctor requires me to eat at least 60 gms a day, so I'm always over on here.:flowerforyou:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options

George

hi, I was just wondering when you say anyone who trains heavily should up their protein- do you mean weight training or any? Cos I've been doing mostly cardio and have laid off my protein since starting on mfp, so far I'm feeling pretty good but I just wanted to check with you:)

Recent studies indicate that endurance athletes turn to fats for energy after the initial carb usage. So, depending on your version of "training heavily," you will find that some carb/fat/protein balances just don't work for you. Play with your balances, record here the results, but find what works for YOU. Different activity levels and exercise habits need different balances. No two people are identical.

And to the original poster-some people on here eat their body weight in grams of protein every day. So don't worry about going over-just find what works best for you.