Should've done this a while ago!

Options
Hello everyone - I actually joined MFP almost a month ago. My work started a program called Tangerine to promote a healthier lifestyle among its workers. The penalty for not joining was an increase of 20% on medical insurance cost. So once I joined I thought I should actually give this weight loss thing a try, so I looked for an app and came up with MFP. It has been incredibly helpful so far in my journey.

Since I tend to go a bit overboard when I join something I also purchased a food scale, a new bike, a pedimeter, one for the bike, and an excel spreadsheet that calculates from my daily caloric intake and burning what my weekly totals are. I also gave up coke cold turkey (the soda, in case anyone was wondering :) ).

I am not the most healthy of eaters. Right now I am really concentrating on just the calories and will probably slowly incorporate the rest of the nutrition goals as I go. I do like that I can still eat my favorite foods, I just have to learn portion control.

I currently work nights which is why most of posts occur very early in the morning. My wife joined with me and we are constantly encouraging each other (although if you ask her I might be a bit too gung ho - did I mention I tend to go overboard?) Anyway, we have 3 lovely kids which have tons of energy and we hope that this lifestyle change will help us at least keep up a bit with them. Yesterday i went riding for 25 minutes and my 8 year old kept up with me pretty easily, so one of my new goals should be to be able to bike farther and longer than my son!

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and you should see me posting here and there. Have a good day.

Pat

Replies

• kwork
    kwork Posts: 7
    Options
    You can't look backward just forward...
    Good Luck you have a good start your willingness to change
  • ndnlou
    ndnlou Posts: 29
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. Remember to take things one day at a time.
  • brightlightkatie
    Options
    Hi !!

Nice to meet you.

Its hard working nights, I always feel extra hungry and my body pattern is messed up. Its took me a while but I've started trying to train myself to snack on fruit, raw veg, crackers, raisins during the night to keep me going rather than big meals.

Glad you are here, and we can work together to stay motivated !
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I am also a night nurse. We haven't started a program like that yet but I know it's coming for everyone. This place is a great place to achieve your goals.
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Shift work is hard when trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle but it can be done. It sounds like you have the attitude to make it work. Good luck to you...and BTW..it is fun to pass up the kids while bike riding! They didn't think I could do it either....