What are the main reasons you want to lose weight?

brightlightkatie
brightlightkatie Posts: 38
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
This has probably already been posted a million times, but I just thought I'd add a new one cause I'm a newbie and I would like to read why other people want to lose weight. If its inappropriate or in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

I want to lose weight because:
I like being able to wear a t-shirt and not having lots of bulges or feeling uncomfortable
I want to be a healthier person, which in turn will make me a happier person
I work in the health industry, how can I advise people on healthy eating and not do it myself?
I am a qualified personal trainer, but I have yet to do anything with it because I'm scared people will laugh at me when they see my weight.
I want to be a uk size 10.
My body has changed so much since I was 16, I am double what I was then. Yes, double.
I want to feel comfortable in my own skin.

:-)

Keep motivated, stay strong !!

Replies

• Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    It's always nice to step back and realize why you really want these things!

- I hate all my shirts being too tight, it's getting much better, but there's definately room for improvement.
    - I don't like having to pull my pants up all the time!
    - I want to wear a bikini for the first time ever.
    - I want to look beautiful for my wedding.
    - ***I don't want to have health issues later down the road.***
    - I want to know what it feels like to not constantly worry about my weight! I've never known that feeling. Got close once, but I screwed it up and started gaining again! I want that confidence.

I can't wait to achieve these goals - You can bet I'm going to though! :bigsmile:
  • I want to lose weight:

-To fit into my pants again. (who has the money to buy a new wardrobe!)
    -To not have a muffin top in my jeans.
    -To wear a bikini on vacation in June.

I'm almost there!!
  • I want to lose weight:

-So people will stop asking me if I'm pregnant! (It's embarrassing!)
    -So I can feel comfortable wearing anything remotely tight
    -So I can fit into a decent pair of pants
    -So I can actually work out and feel somewhat comfortable doing it (it's hard with extra weight to carry around!)
    -So I won't have as many health issues when I get older
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    -My knees hate me. That's right they were swearing at me every time I walked on them.
    -I want my kids to learn how to live better healthier lives from watching me.
    -It just feels better in the long run.
    -I don't want to end up as miserable and unhealthy as some of the fellows I work with. ( heart problems, diabetes, ect.)
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    i want to lose weight -
    * to be sure that when im as old as my parents I am in better health then they are and can enjoy my grandchildren rather then be sick, in pain and unavailable
    * to feel comfortable in my clothes
    * and lastly - to be able to go to the beach this summer and ENJOY myself!
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Oh and i have a 25 college reunion coming up..... :laugh:
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    I want to 'become very fit' (terminology used for an 18 yr. old) because:

-i want my digestive system to stop rebelling against me :laugh:
    -to have more energy and focus while doing work
    -for simply vain reasons
    -so that i don't feel the need to tear up when i try on clothes in dressing rooms
    -so i can learn my lesson now and avoid putting my body through this when i'm older
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    so i can just be average...so i can be forgetable. people never forget the only fat girl- i want to be remebered becuase of me,not my size. sometimes i just want to be normal,i want to ride the bus and not worry about taking up too much room,i want to be able to sqeeze by things,i want to be able to eat out and not worry about what people think about my dietary habits...i just want to be normal
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    My health was the main reason. My dad has had diabetes and high cholesterol since his late 40s. I'm 43. I was feeling terrible all the time and my LDL numbers were getting too high. Once I got into it, I came up with other reasons. I started to enjoy trying on clothes in a smaller size and I really enjoy the compliments my husband is always giving me now.
  • Every single one of you and your reasons inspire me. Thanks for replying :-) Stay strong ladies (and gents). We can do it, for all the right reasons !!!!
  • Marie45
    Marie45 Posts: 21 Member
    The same reasons that a lot of people already mentioned:

- to wear tight clothes and not bulge out of them
    - to fit back into the jeans that are becoming too tight - I cannot afford a new wardrobe!
    - to feel more confident in general - not because I'm thinner, but because I've worked towards a goal and achieved it
    - to look in the mirror and feel happy with what I see - again, it's not that my shape itself is really bad, it's the fact that the bulges that are there are because of my own laziness and poor diet choices
    - to one day own some clothes in a UK size 10 that actually fit me!
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Ditto on the other reasons!

* to be able to play tennis again
    * to look fabulous in the little black dress, or anything else for that matter :wink:
    * to paint my toenails
    * to cross my legs
    * to look happy in family pictures

I used to be slim, and was the one that always had a smile. I just don't feel that happiness anymore. I want my old self back.
  • - to be healthier and avoid future health problems (family history of diabetes, heart conditions)
    - to look the way i did when i met my husband ten years ago (30 pounds away)
    - to be able to keep up with my son
  • electricgypsy
    electricgypsy Posts: 32 Member
    for my wedding
    for when i graduate from uni
    to avoid long term health issues........
    and because i'm vain :)
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    I want to lose weight:

*To feel better about myself both physically and mentally.
    *To be a postive and healthy role model for my children.
    *To feel more like my old, sexy self (I'm getting there!).
    *To not feel self-concious in form-fitting clothes.
    *To be the best me I can possibly be!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I want to lose weight so I'm finally in the "healthy weight" category instead of "overweight". I'm 21 for God's sake. I should not be overweight.

I want to lose weight just to be healthy
    - to feel good in my own skin
    - to look like I belong with my (very) skinny boyfriend
    - to not be close to plus sized clothing.
    - to look BETTER in my bikini than I did last year (I'm officially the same size as I was last summer, but 12 lbs. heavier!!)
    - to be able to run for long periods of time
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    I want to lose weight:
    *for myself
    *so I'm not the girl that is "gorgeous in the face"...I just want to be gorgeous.
    *so I look great in a picture next to my short, built, bf!
    *so I'm not embarrased to see my dad (who lives in another state) everytime he visits because I've gained more weight everytime.
    *so I don't make excuses to not go places with water because I'm embarrased to put on any less clothes than jeans and a shirt.
    *so I can fit in a size 10!
    *so I can satisfy the nasty side of me and mentally b**ch slap my cousin who called me a fat *kitten* growing up.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I don't think this could ever be posted enough. Just thinking that out motivated me to stay on track, and I know when I start feeling like I can't do it anymore this list will always be here. Great post!
  • Felixanvk
    Felixanvk Posts: 69
    I want to loose weight because I am tired of feeling big :cry: and that my cloth does not fit me anymore!:indifferent:
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    I want to lose weight (and get fit) because:

- I feel uncomfortable in my skin. I want that to change.
    - I'm racing towards 40 and I realise that's the time health problems can start kicking in.
    - I've been watching 'Biggest Loser' and I want those feelings :)
    - I want to be able to play with my best friends kid without becoming out of breath after 2 minutes.
    - I feel like being overweight has held me back.
    - Being big has destroyed my confidence. I want that confidence back.
    - I want to go to a theme park and not worry if I'm going to fit on any of the rides.
    - I want to be able to go into an shop on the high street and buy myself a t-shirt if I want too.
    - I want to feel I'm worth it. Right now I don't.

I think that's enough reasons to get started.
  • I want to lose weight for me! :happy:
    I want look in the mirror and recognize myself again.
    I want to feel proud of the person I see both on the inside and out.
    I want to prove to myself that I'm better than the ice cream or chips, that I am worth being healthy, and that I'm strong enough to deal with life and stress with out turning to food!
    I want to be healthier.
This discussion has been closed.