Keto / low carbers...........

Options
Just wondering if anyone who has done keto or low carb for an extended amount of time has had blood work done to see how it affects your blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. I am doing this and feel really guilty that I eat so much fat every day! lol I know that my body is burning it in the place of carbs and most people's cholesterol, etc actually improve (and I have lost 27 lbs doing it). Just looking for some people who have results if you don't mind sharing! I have to have blood work done next week. Anxious to see the results!

Also.....I have read several places that if you are dieting in general, it can mess up your cholesterol numbers.............any truth to that?

Thanks!

Replies

• TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Maybe I posted this in the wrong place............
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    hehehe..you have to give ppl more than 1 minute to reply..give your post some time..you can also do a search for your topic and maybe the answer is already there :)
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump just for you
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I didnt comment b/c no one answered!!! As soon as I hit "post" I realized I probably should have put it in the general diet and weight loss (I think thats it) forum! Ooops!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone who has done keto or low carb for an extended amount of time has had blood work done to see how it affects your blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. I am doing this and feel really guilty that I eat so much fat every day! lol I know that my body is burning it in the place of carbs and most people's cholesterol, etc actually improve (and I have lost 27 lbs doing it). Just looking for some people who have results if you don't mind sharing! I have to have blood work done next week. Anxious to see the results!

Also.....I have read several places that if you are dieting in general, it can mess up your cholesterol numbers.............any truth to that?

Thanks!

Come on over to the Keto and Low Carber groups.

Meanwhile, I'm 7 months in. I had a health screening in Nov, 2011 and a physical in Nov, 2012. In June, 2012 I started low carb, high fat based on Gary Taubes work. In Nov, 2011 chol was 282, HDL was 22, glucose was 135, BP was 140/90. In Nov, 2012 chol was 228, HDL was 41, glucose was 107 and BP was 110/70. Also did an A1C in Nov, 2012 and my outcome was 5.6 which is healthy and non-diabetic. My doc is pretty sure I was early type 2 diabetic in 2011.

Feel free to friend as well if you want.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I didnt comment b/c no one answered!!! As soon as I hit "post" I realized I probably should have put it in the general diet and weight loss (I think thats it) forum! Ooops!

i think here is ok too..i doubt you will get in trouble :p good luck with everything :)
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Allow me to first say the carbohydrate intake required by any human being is ultimately zero. Gluconeogenesis exists for a reason.

No one NEEDS carbs. Especially if youre not doing some form of exercise to warrant quick energy sources. The only thing humans NEED are proteins and fats... and the occasional carb refeed if doing resistance training 3-5 days a week.

I cycle my carbs due to having a 5 day training cycle with HIIT the other two. I have it set for high/mod/low (250/150/<50g respectively). I also have strange eating times.

Keto works. It's good, its proven, and endorsed by Lyle McDonald but not necessary. It's designed for children with cerebral paulsy and diabetics not healthy individuals. Eventually you will burn out. If you do decide to do a low carb diet and be actively involved in exercise plan every two weeks or so to have a nice high carb day. Go the first 4 weeks low then enjoy a Saturday. Too often and youll ruin it so be smart

Oh, may definition of low carb is less than 50g. Keto requires <30g.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Unless having some genetic predisposition or metabolic abnormality dietary cholesterol has no effect on blood lipid cholesterol. Carbohydrates and blood insulin concentrations determine those - the exact things were avoiding in the low carb approach.

Lipase shoots up... sensibly. I love me my fats. I'll skip the mashed potatoes any day for more new york strip and olive oil.
    Congrats on improved blood work!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not a Keto guy ..... Low carb, high fat because it's a natural and healthy diet. And the combo of that diet plus a return to Army Daily Dozen has brought about way healthier blood work and weight reduction. Now that I've gotten the first stage done (basic health), time for some significant fitness work.