Any advice for people that work overnight?

Options
I work overnights, 7:30pm-6am 4 days a week. Anyone have advice on how to manage your foods, exercise, etc?

Thanks!

Replies

• JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I work days but my husband works nights, 11-7am. He eats a balanced meal around 5-6. Snack when he leaves at 10. I send a balanced lunch with him. He tries to eat something right before he goes to bed...maybe a fiber bar and milk. I used to work those shifts and it is very hard.
  • flowergirl2009
    Options
    I work a shorter shift (5p-1a) but have a similar problem. I generally eat between noon-3pm; 5-9pm (lunch break) and when I get home. I eat fairly healthy for the first two meals but when I get home I just have junk. If you're eating at a more reasonable hour after you get off then it might be worth cooking a healthy breakfast. I also am a strong believer in multiple meals it may help.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep will make you want to eat more.

Because your body isn't producing melatonin during the day, even if you get 8 hours, it probably won't be quality sleep.

Learn to resist the cravings. It's going to suck.

I lost over 60lbs, started overnights and put 30 of it back on.

Stay strong.
  • Hi Patty,

I worked night shift for over 14 years. It can be challenging to figure out what/when to eat and when to exercise. 12 hour (which I worked for about 5 of those years) can make it even more challenging. Those 4 days of work seem to go by in a blur and leave little time to squeeze in preparing health meals and exercise.

Sleep is still very important. Aim for at least 7 hours. Buy dark curtains for your bedroom and take any other measures to make it seem like night when you are sleeping. Living in a sleep deprived state will make one want toeat more.

If you want to get in your exercise on work days you can't really expect to get much else done. 12 hours work + 7 hours sleep + 1-2 hours preparing/communting to work doesn't leave a lot of free time. I would exercise when I woke up in the evening then shower and go to work. I found exercising in the morning would make it difficult for me to fall asleep.

While working night shift I found that it was important to avoid sugary foods. Perhaps the body is more prone to "sugar crashes" at night; I found that anything with a high sugar content would lead to exteme tiredness a few hours later and then more eating.

During my shift I would do a little "burst" of exercise when staring to feel tired. I worked in a hospital so my favorite thing to do was every hour or so just run up the stairs to the top. That would perk me right up.

Good luck.
  • pattyb1013
    Options
    Great advice from all of you! Thank you!!
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i work 12 hrs - days and nights 7-7. For nights I eat backwards ... big meal first, lunch in middle and breakfast near the end of the shift. I walk on my lunch hours (i get 2 1hr breaks) and/or I get up an hour before I have to get ready for work and go for a walk. I am useless after working nights and go right to bed. I save the gym for days off.