Bowflex Treadclimber

Options
Does anyone know how you can record the Bowflex Treadclimber on your exercise page. I just got mine today and did just 10 minutes at 1.7 mph and it said I burned 70 calories. But it isn't listed in the exercises in this program, so I recorded it as 5.5 minutes on an elliptical trainer for 72 calories....that's as close as I could get. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MattUNCC
    Options
    Under the "Exercise" tab at the top of the page, I go to "My Exercises" and then "Create Exercise". I call it "Bowflex Treadclimber TC5300" (since that's the model I have). Then I put in the minutes and calories it says I burned. Each day I do it, I go to "Add Exercise" in my exercise diary and it shows up with the option to change the minutes and the calories. That's the best thing I've come up with so far.
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    hey , I have been looking at those. How do you like yours???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and it's pretty cool, however the advertising they do for it is so deceptive. They compare the Tread Climber to a treadmill that's level and 3.0 speed (which isn't too fast). If they compared it with a treadmill inclined at the same angle degree and speed, I'm more than sure that the calorie burn would be pretty even.
    But it is a pretty cool machine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kathyetaylor1
    Options
    Thanks guys for your help....Matt, I will give it a try.
    Iryshjones....I have just had it for 1 day...so did 10 minutes on the lowest level at 1.8 mph and burned 70 calories....way harder than my treadmill, but I think I need the change. I was doing 80 minutes almost every day on my treadmill before Christmas and never got that tired....so I guess time will tell.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest investing in a heart rate monitor (around $100), as you'll get a much more accurate reading of the calories you're actually burning, and how hard you're working (e.g. your hear rate). I have a Polar FT4 and never work out without it!
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I want to buy some home equipment and always wondered about this machine. Is it really worth it? Or what about the Total Gym that Chuch Norris advertises on the infomercial? I want a couple things at home so I can cancel my gym membership.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    hey , I have been looking at those. How do you like yours???

I was going to ask the same :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and it's pretty cool, however the advertising they do for it is so deceptive. They compare the Tread Climber to a treadmill that's level and 3.0 speed (which isn't too fast). If they compared it with a treadmill inclined at the same angle degree and speed, I'm more than sure that the calorie burn would be pretty even.

That's what I thought. No way is walking on the treadclimber going to be more burn than me running at 6 mph on my treadmill on an incline. The print on the bottom of the TV is too tiny to read that!
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I use a Heart Rate Monitor also, and wear it when I work out, shovel, mow the lawn.....
  • emmagreenie
    Options
    I agree with those who have said that the calorie burn can't be as high as using an incline trainer, especially when you do it at higher speeds. There's a youtube video out there that compares it side by side with the nordictrack x9i: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b57cSveWYU8

I have used one of my relative's treadclimbers though, and it's an interested experience for sure. I know that it works great for some people who simply hate treadmills, or who don't have a treadmill that can incline very much!
  • wvblast
    Options
    I have one and really like it. The workout is much more intense than the treadmill. 20-30 mins @ 3.0 is rough. My college aged son uses it when he is home and says what a workout it is. I bought my used, so got a really good deal, if i didn't have it i would probably go with an elliptical. I just don't care much for treadmills.
  • khalsne71
    khalsne71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would agree. I almost killed myself trying to push to a 200 calorie workout. Bought a HRM and it calculated it at close to 400 calories.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yeah, my answer to anyone who has asked me about these types of the machines is to evaluate them on the basis of:

1. Quality of workout: meaning, is the range of workload settings sufficient for people of all abilities and will you ever outgrow the machine? (Examples of machines that FAIL on this criteria: Total Gym, the old Health Riders, Gazelle trainer).

2. Do you like the workout movement? I think that is self-explanatory.

3. Quality of construction vs price: evaluate it just the same as you would any large purchase.

The claims of "unique" exercise or fat- or calorie-burning properties are almost always 100% false. As you mentioned, that is true with the treadclimber as well.

So it would be wrong to purchase a machine based on that reason alone. However, if someone likes the movement, will be motivated (or at least not de-motivated) to use it, and understands that they are overpaying for the "bowflex" name, then it can be as effective as anything else.

It's just not anything special.