Cross fit

Options
Has anyone tried it? If you have tell us your pros and cons with doing a cross fit program versus your typical gym routine of treadmills, weights, and cardio classes. Trying to decide to cancel my gym membership for cross fit or keep the membership. Any info will help! Thanks!

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    It isn't the cheapest way to do anything
    It isn't the safest way to do anything
    It isn't the best way to gain strength
    It isn't the best way to gain muscle
    It isn't the best way to increase cardio endurance
    It isn't the easiest way to lose fat
    It isn't the best way to prepare for the Crossfit games

I don't have any pros
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Tons of fun
    Success and rewarding gains everyday
    Variety
    Friendships and motivation to better yourself
    I am biased, I love it. Moved to a new city and joined a box. Now I have new friends and something I love to do. I have dropped a bunch of weight and gained much strength. The gym was fine but monotonous. I like the group atmosphere. I was never a runner and do not train to run. Never ran more than a mile before starting crossfit 5 months ago. I have since completed two half marathons and some 5k's. my conditioning has grown leaps and bounds. Sure it's expensive and people will say whatever they want about that. If you have the money and want to spend it thats fine. I have no problem spending a lot because 1. I have it and 2. It's worth investing in yourself with something that makes you happy. I say give it a try and decide for yourself. Most places will let you test it out. Don't try and keep up, go your own pace and get better every day. My box keeps track of injuries and has been without for close to a year. Good luck!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I don't have any pros

While i cannot disagree with any of the above points, i will give you one pro. If you're looking to switch things up and think you'll be motivated by working out in a competitive but supportive group environment, it's worth giving it a shot. There's many ways to get in shape, and if this is the route you choose, it may work for you. Just don't believe it's magical
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.

Never tried it, I hear it is rough, even too EXTREME™ and ELITE™ but the people who like it are very fervent about it. Can you try it for a 30 days and see how you like it?
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy it. It is really fun. I combine 2 days of crossfit with a 3x a week stronglifts. Best shape of my life!
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started about 1.5 months ago and I enjoy it. It's tougher than you average "boot camp" course, and each day is a challenging as the day before because the "workout of the day" is always different. I'm a little nervous about losing my cardio. capacity though...You might run a mile here or there, but I really do wonder whether I'll be prepared for another half-marathon in April without doing more sustained cardio. The amount of calories I burn in an hour is similar to other strenuous physical activities (e.g., running) but it feels more difficult. I am definitely toning up rather quickly (I go 3-5 days/week), but I'm only weighing in once a month so I can't say anything about how it seems to be affecting my weight. (You can check in with me on February 3! Feel free to add me...)

Best wishes with whatever you choose!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for just over a year now, and I don't think I could ever go back to a regular gym. I started and stopped other fitness programs for 8 years prior, and nothing stuck. For me it's the variety, the individual attention from coaches every day, and the super supportive community that keeps me on track. I also love that it feels like playing - box jumps and gymnastics and sprinting and tire flipping... sometimes you forget it's actually hard work!

I don't think CrossFit is necessarily superior to any other program - but I think the best program is probably the one that you stick to, and for me this was the answer.
  • iommi4
    iommi4 Posts: 20
    Options
    yea, seriously people are totally going to hate on everything. i know that the crossfit places offer a free try out a session to see if you like that style and before you join they require you to take the classes on learning it. it is safe as long as you follow what they say. they teach you proper technique on all the exercises. people say it is unconventional or whatever they say. my trainer does crossfit and is a part of it for the past 5 years. everything she has taught is the same stuff i learned a lot of the exercises when my previous teachers have taught me. so try it out and if you like it, then do it if not move on to something else. it all depends on what your goals are.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I don't have any pros

it's fun as hell and there's lots of eye candy :laugh:

even without the above i'd still love it. even though i'm an old middle aged woman i'll always be a jock and i really miss those intense group style workouts i'd get when i played sports in my teens and 20's. i can work out on my own (which i do) but there's something to be said for the camaraderie of having people who know you cheering you on to finish that last boxed jump or finish that last sprint.

luckily my box is cheap enough (it's like 1/3 the price of anywhere else i've seen AND i get an indoor rock climbing too :happy: ) that i don't feel bad if i can't get to a class only once a week and spend the rest of my days lifting or doing other things at the normal people gym.

most boxes have a free day where you can go check out the gym and do a workout. also i usually see deals on groupon type places for month passes, so you should try it out and see if you like it
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

I don't have any pros

While i cannot disagree with any of the above points, i will give you one pro. If you're looking to switch things up and think you'll be motivated by working out in a competitive but supportive group environment, it's worth giving it a shot. There's many ways to get in shape, and if this is the route you choose, it may work for you. Just don't believe it's magical

^^ This. Its definitely not for me. Physical high fives make me nauseous, but it definitely works for some people. The only real negative is the lack of a program but I know some groups do not just stick to the WODs.
  • sweetteamemphis
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • thestiltsofdeath
    Options
    I just have to speak for myself and my own Crossfit gym, but I love it. I know it's not for everyone, but I think the major issue is people see the photos and the WODs on Youtube and such and go, "I can't keep up with that. I'll look like an idiot." Trust me, because I did.

However, experiencing it first hand, it's COMPLETELY different. Maybe I just have a great gym or whatnot, but everyone's extremely supportive of one another and just want to see you succeed. And it's not a good mentality to go in and be like, "I'm gonna suck and be the worst", because you're setting yourself up for failure. Instead of competing against everyone - including the 200+ rock solid body-builder looking men - you compete against yourself. At least, that's how it should be and how my gym is. They make you record your WODs and you try and best your own efforts. You're not trying to beat other people, you're trying to be the best you can be.

Now, that doesn't mean it's not humbling. I've left workouts in tears. I've also left feeling like I could take over the world (although, I think all good things have this). Kids in the CrossfitKids class can do 3x the amount of pullups I can. But that's okay. You're there for you. The WODs are different everyday, so your body doesn't get bored, and you get attention from coaches one-on-one.

This is my experience, though. :happy:
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    i hear it's expensive. I think my friend pays about 150 a month from what she told me.
    Here is a workout she did on the 10th of this month:
    Barbell warmup: Every 30 seconds perform 1 rep alternating from power to Squat
    - Snatch at 80%
    -Clean and jerk at 80%
    Strength: Shoulder press- 5 @40%, 5 @45%, 3 @ 55%, 3 @65%, 3@75%, 3@ 85%

WOD:
    complete in as a short time as possible:
    100 pull ups
    100 pushups
    100 situps
    100 squats

She said it took her about 25 minutes to do. She dared me to do the workout, to which I politely backed down :)
    I'm sure the workout is effective for burning calories, as is running, jumping, swimming and lifting. But for $150 a month? No thanks. I would lose a tremendous amount of strength if I started doing these workouts.