Becoming Vegetarian...Maybe

Options
So, I'm thinking about going veg. Am I crazy? I like meat but it's like bleh :/ and I feel like I could cut so much fat from my diet without it. Anyone else done it/doing it? Any tips? I semi-tried before but I just saw meat :love: and forgot completely about my new initiative.
I'm also trying to get into jogging, which I have never done. Ever. Would it be good or bad to attempt both at once?:tongue:

Anyway, I hope you all are lovely. Please add, I love having a support team :3

Thanks!
xxxooo :blushing:

Replies

• dirtieebirdiee
    dirtieebirdiee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Also...just discovered "Pesco-pollo vegetarian"
    I could still eat fish and chicken. That sounds good. Anyways, kbai!
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I stumbled my way into vegetarian/vegan almost 13 years ago... once I found my way there I started exploring and researching... you may want to read Diet for a New America by John Robbins or Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr ... just remember, it's not a religion, it's a lifestyle choice. ; ) Good Luck and feel free to friend me if you'd like support in that area.

...scatter joy...
    lindy
  • valmb2
    valmb2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have been a vegetarian from the time I was 12, I am 29 now. I don't reaaly know anything different, and I LOVE it! :) I was a vegan for awhile but I love eggs and yogurt too much.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm a flexitarian -- I eat limited amounts of beef, chicken, and pork, with occasional seafood. My partner is 100% vegetarian, which helps -- most of the meals we cook together at home are vegetarian. I feel much better when I limit meat to small portions a few times a week. Every once in a while I will splurge on a really good steak :)

We've been working at vegetarian-izing many recipes...you can find them at http://freerangetofu.wordpress.com One of my goals for the year is to update more often, so I need readers to keep me honest :)

Feel free to add me as a friend as well if you'd like.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I suppose I am the " pesco-pollo vegetarian" than!!! I quit eating pork/beef on New Year's Day!!! I really do not feel deprived at all!! And now about 3/4's of my dinner plates are veg, instead of half of that 3/4 being MEAT!
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    well first off it's great if you decide to cut out meat from your diet! "vegetarian" basically means you eat NO flesh; no chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc. pescatarian is not a type of vegetarian - but just someone that eats no flesh but fish. i guess pollotarian is a new thing? i hadn't heard of it before, but it's also not a type of vegetarian.

there's a huge community of vegetarians here though, so we will be happy to help you out in any way you need!!!
  • kprep
    kprep Posts: 11
    Options
    google 'link between vegetarianism and depression'
    ive been a vegetarian for a while and while im not planning on going back, my mom really thinks that there is something to that...
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Our church did a Daniel Fast from December 1st to the 21st and I realized it wasn't so bad. I felt better and was losing weight. I had some meat during the holidays (and admittedly some other junk food) and didn't feel so good. Then I read the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and learned how bad meat and dairy are for you. I still occasionally eat eggs and cheese. Mostly when we go out to eat somewhere. I really haven't missed it all that much. I've found a lot of good alternatives so it's worked out pretty well. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm vegan and just started jogging too!
    You may want to "ease" into the veggie thing if you like meat- try once a week (or what you are comfortable with) and build from there for success. You could also try eliminating certain foods, then eliminating more. Going cold turkey is tough! When I first went from vegetarian to vegan, I failed because I craved cheese big time, and gave in!
    I really like Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet book- she talks about 'flirting' with becoming vegetarian. It's a laid back & easy read- with recipes too!

As for jogging- I found a wonderful program called No Boundaries through Fleet Feet (not sure if you have one near you). I just started training for a 5K and they are very supportive!

PS- it's important to have a supportive family if going veg. Family dinners are hard with little to no veggie dishes! :)
    Good luck and feel free to add me!
    Lisa
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you're considering this, I highly recommend two books. "Skinny B****" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, as well as "Eat to Live" by Dr Joel Furhman. They're very helpful with presenting the information to help you make your decision. Personally, I'm vegan and if you had asked me a couple years ago, I never would have believed I would be. Learning the information changed my approach and attitude towards it though.. enough to TRY it, which is what made me realize this is something I wanted to do. I started as a vegetarian, and then transitioned to vegan after only being vegetarian 3 months. I dont plan to ever go back.

For the health side, the benefits you experience feel amazing. However, not all vegetarians and vegans are healthy JUST because they eliminate meat. It's not just about the elimination of meat, but the inclusion of more whole foods. More fruit, more veggies, more whole grains, more raw nuts/seeds, etc. A vegan can live off of oreos and fries, but definitely aren't going to have any health advantage over someone who eats meat. So it's about finding the proper balance with your vegetarian diet if that is something you decide to do. Do your research, make sure you're getting everything you need, and eat a wide variety of fresh foods. It can totally transform how you feel physically and mentally when it is a diet that is properly planned.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • dirtieebirdiee
    Options
    woah! i've never heard of that being a side effect! That's bananas D:
  • dirtieebirdiee
    Options
    ive been a vegetarian for a while and while im not planning on going back, my mom really thinks that there is something to that...

woah! i've never heard of that being a side effect! That's bananas D:
  • dirtieebirdiee
    Options
    Our church did a Daniel Fast from December 1st to the 21st and I realized it wasn't so bad. I felt better and was losing weight. I had some meat during the holidays (and admittedly some other junk food) and didn't feel so good. Then I read the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and learned how bad meat and dairy are for you. I still occasionally eat eggs and cheese. Mostly when we go out to eat somewhere. I really haven't missed it all that much. I've found a lot of good alternatives so it's worked out pretty well. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide.

I think I might have to go get that book! Thank you so much!
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    well first off it's great if you decide to cut out meat from your diet! "vegetarian" basically means you eat NO flesh; no chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc. pescatarian is not a type of vegetarian - but just someone that eats no flesh but fish. i guess pollotarian is a new thing? i hadn't heard of it before, but it's also not a type of vegetarian.

there's a huge community of vegetarians here though, so we will be happy to help you out in any way you need!!!

Oh god! I LOVEEEE meat...All kinds....And I probably will never stop eating meat.

That being said, you calling it flesh just sounds AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I know thats what it is....but it just sounds terrible! lol)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    You certainly sound like the right demographic.
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    I am vegan and absolutely love it. Tons of energy, feel light and vibrant. Skin has improved, and it has made losing weight go a bit faster.
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    If you're considering this, I highly recommend two books. "Skinny B****" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, as well as "Eat to Live" by Dr Joel Furhman. They're very helpful with presenting the information to help you make your decision. Personally, I'm vegan and if you had asked me a couple years ago, I never would have believed I would be. Learning the information changed my approach and attitude towards it though.. enough to TRY it, which is what made me realize this is something I wanted to do. I started as a vegetarian, and then transitioned to vegan after only being vegetarian 3 months. I dont plan to ever go back.

For the health side, the benefits you experience feel amazing. However, not all vegetarians and vegans are healthy JUST because they eliminate meat. It's not just about the elimination of meat, but the inclusion of more whole foods. More fruit, more veggies, more whole grains, more raw nuts/seeds, etc. A vegan can live off of oreos and fries, but definitely aren't going to have any health advantage over someone who eats meat. So it's about finding the proper balance with your vegetarian diet if that is something you decide to do. Do your research, make sure you're getting everything you need, and eat a wide variety of fresh foods. It can totally transform how you feel physically and mentally when it is a diet that is properly planned.

I wish you the best of luck!

Great reply!!
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

LULWUT.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Can't answer about being vegetarian as I have no interest (love chicken, fish, and the occasional bacon cheeseburger lol) and haven't purposely tried it (with the exception of being too poor to buy meat in college so I lived on rice, beans, and frozen veggies lol). But you can certainly research the benefits/downfalls of going vegetarian and there are several groups on MFP specifically devoted to eating vegetarian/vegan. As for running, I started running just about 2 years ago when I was 41 years old. Best thing I've ever done for myself. Google Couch to 5k program, Jeff Galloway, and/or the "Run Your Butt Off" book. All good starter walk/run interval programs to ease you into running without causing injury. I love to talk to people about running so feel free to add me. Good luck!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Different dietary choices work for different people. I'd say if you're doing it for ethical reasons, go for it, but if you're doing it for health, I wouldn't. I was vegetarian for 3 years and felt like crap the whole time, and I was making "smart" and careful choices. I know some people feel MORE energy, but I felt lethargic and depressed. I now try to stick to paleo eating and feel completely amazing most of the time, don't even need coffee anymore. And my body composition has changed drastically (for the better!). I think the main reason is that I'm eating very clean, very little from a package, and that is difficult to do as a vegetarian, due to all the meat substitutes (largely wheat based) and soy concoctions. I eat lots of lean meat, veggies, fruits, and fats (good fats, like coconut and avocado). It is a misconception that fat makes you fat! I have never looked better.

Definitely try going vegetarian if you are interested, but don't feel bad if you feel bad! Just means it doesn't work as well for you. :smile:

Edit: I recently read New Rules of Lifting for Women, and in it he cites a study about vegetarianism: while veg's have lower rates of heart disease, they do NOT have longer life expectancies. So if there's heart disease in your family, vegetarian might be a good thing, but otherwise you won't outlive the omnivores. I thought that was FASCINATING! :laugh: