exercising when spouse doesn't want to or can't?

Options
How do you get yourself motivated to go to the gym when your spouse (who was supposed to be going with you) now cannot go? They have a good reason - work place injury and physio therapy 2x a week.

At the end of the work day, I really just want to go home and check in on them but then after dinner, find myself fused with the couch and messing around on the computer. I hate it and just can't seem to break the habit. I know that for me going to the gym before going home would probably work the best, but them I'm feeling guilty for leaving them at home alone.

My head and my heart just aren't in the same place but my hips really need to get moving! Any ideas how to get over this road bump?

Replies

• shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have ever gotten was from a psychiatrist after I had so much guilt from leaving my daughter home so I could have me time was, "just do it. You may feel guilty the first, second, even twelfth time, but eventually you won't feel guilty because you know it's something you need to do for you." Not the same situation but I think it works here too. Your health and body will thank you :)
  • imaburnin
    Options
    I had this problem in the past too, but I found that going to the gym straight from work helped a lot. That way I'm not distracted by the family or the electronics. It takes some adjustment because a lot of people can be tired after work, but it's great to de-stress. My husband's work schedule (12 hour shifts) makes it impossible for us to work out together. Another thing that helped me was to have a workout buddy other than your spouse, like a sibling or friend who has similar goals. That way, you have someone to keep you honest and accountable. Best of luck to you!
  • shrkngme
    shrkngme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. We have an appointment with the health nurse today about our diets so that should make approaching the subject a lot easier. and I know they want me to lose the weight too so its not as if they don't want me to exercise :)
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I really don't have any advice but I'm glad you are looking for a solution and not giving up! :wink:
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you feel that working out right after work is what is best for you, I would just go for it. My SO never works out or even eats well so it can be really difficult for me. He is not supportive of me at all either. I have tried to encourage him to workout with me but he has no interest. Soo I work out at night, at home, when my kids are in bed and he is doing his own thing. I have to motivate myself really, and it is challenging but I can't complain about the results so far :)
  • MileHighScott
    MileHighScott Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As challenging as it may be, you need to realize that you HAVE to put yourself first. Your spouse will do fine for the hour or so that you are gone. You are bettering yourself for both of you.
  • griffga1
    Options
    I found that being enrolled in classes gets me out the door (yoga, zumba, pilates). I have to be there at a certain time, so it's like an appointment. I also change clothes when I get home, because if I am already dressed, there is no reason not to go. Then when it's time, I just stop whatever I'm doing and head out the door.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Well, you could try going first thing in the morning instead. Otherwise, just throw a mental noose around your own neck and dragging yourself kicking and screaming in protest to the gym and get 'er done. You'll be glad you did.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Wake up really early and go before work.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If going to the gym is stressful right now, why not workout at home until your husband is healed?
  • JanelleSonnenberg1
    JanelleSonnenberg1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My hubby is unable to work out now due to an injury as well. When I first started working out I felt guilty because he couldn't and I should be next to him and helping him , but after awhile the guilt will go away!! In fact, my hubby supports me 100 % and helps me and reminds me to workout! He has even started eating some of healthier things I a. Making:).

In the beginning, it was hard, but now I am so glad I started and my hubby is beside me helping me out, and he can't wait to jump back on and work out with me!!:)