TURNIPS!

Options
angelams1019
angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
Does anyone actually eat TURNIPS?!? If so, I'd love to see some recipes for them! (Please note that I'm looking for recipes that don't involve any sugar...I've seen a couple recipes that use brown sugar) :flowerforyou:

Replies

• danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My fave way to eat turnips is:

Lightly oil w/olive oil, roast carrots, parsnips, turnips in the oven until slightly brown on the outside. Then finish steam all veg until soft. Mash up up and enjoy with a light sprinkle of pepper :)
  • angelams1019
    Options
    I've only had them once and they were a bit bitter. Do you just have to get used to the taste or does it go away with a certain type of preparation?
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    The only way I eat them is either in stews or mashed with a roast - I'm assuming you mean swedes, not the little white turnips (swedes are called turnips' in a lot of the UK)
  • angelams1019
    Options
    Um....I don't know what swedes are! lol

These things...

2j5ueu.jpg
  • hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have you also tried beets? A lot of similar nutritional value as turnips, but I think slightly better. As you probably know, both contain a fair amount of sugar. This is generally how my wife makes turnips and (I think) the beets. I just eat them :-)

Sautéed Turnips and Greens
    Cook peeled and cut-up turnips and sliced garlic in olive oil in a large skillet until tender. Add the turnip greens and cook until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
  • angelams1019
    Options
    I haven't tried beets yet but those are next on my list! Trying to work on trying out a new vegetable every week! :)
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I generally mash them with something else, carrots, or equal parts turnips and parsnips. There aren't a ton of ways to make turnip taste great. Unlike beets!
  • ahndesign
    Options
    Asian (Korean) turnips are so much better. They are sweet and crisp. You can eat them raw as a snack and they are very low in calories.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you buy larger turnips they will be woody and bitter. Should be about 2 inches around. You can peel them and cook them like potatoes and mash them with butter and salt. You can also mix them with mashed potatoes for a different taste. I have only had them mashed.
  • taylor_lara
    Options
    I love turnips and beets when I make Borsht soup. It has lots of beets and turnips as well as carrots, celery, bell pepper, and stewed lean beef the way I make it. Perfect for cold winter days as it is hardy. Most people are skeptical at first, but end-up liking it.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have tried every recipe.. there is NO RECIPE in the world that will make turnips taste good. Turnips are so pretty and I WANT to like them, but they are one of nature's nasty jokes.

And it's not that they taste "bitter" I drink straight kale juice at times.. ok I can handle bitter.. this is some other taste entirely.. something vile... perhaps even sinister. :sick:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Have you also tried beets? A lot of similar nutritional value as turnips, but I think slightly better. As you probably know, both contain a fair amount of sugar. This is generally how my wife makes turnips and (I think) the beets. I just eat them :-)

Sautéed Turnips and Greens
    Cook peeled and cut-up turnips and sliced garlic in olive oil in a large skillet until tender. Add the turnip greens and cook until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.

beets taste like dirt to me.. no matter how much you wash them they still taste like dirt... It's not that they are actually dirty, it's that there's a genetic trait that causes some people to taste dirt when they taste beats. So if you think beets taste like dirt.. you're not crazy, just blessed with the "beets taste like dirt gene"
  • angelams1019
    Options
    hahahahaha Thanks guys! Keep em coming! :)

@MissJules- I chopped up turnips and sauteed them like home fries and thought they were pretty good. Just looking for some different options! :)
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    never had them but i just read an article a couple hours ago about mashing them like potatoes, but leaving out the butter. I'll have to try it soon.
  • angelams1019
    Options
    Seems like this method of really common. I'll have to try mashing! :)
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    Um....I don't know what swedes are! lol

These things...

2j5ueu.jpg

Those are swedes over here (or confusingly, turnips if you live in the north)

These are turnips: zkg6rc.jpg

Although the pic makes them look similar - they don't have purple tops and a really big one is the size of your fist, most are smaller.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    How much do you peel off?
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    I use a potato peeler so...however much that is (for swedes). I dont bother peeling turnips.
  • hereisgone125
    hereisgone125 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like Turnips in vegetable soup. Also, I love them mashed, but when you are boiling them, I have to put a few packets of Sweet & Low /Equal/Sugar in the water (like salting the water for spaghetti) to take out some of the bitterness.
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've made turnip fries that were pretty tasty. Slice into fry shapes and toss with seasonings, I've used crushed garlic and rosemary. Bake until tender and a little crispy.
    I've also chopped them up and baked them with some chopped apples, cinnamon and raisins. That was pretty good too.