Becoming Vegetarian...Maybe

Options
2»

Replies

• paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    google 'link between vegetarianism and depression'
    ive been a vegetarian for a while and while im not planning on going back, my mom really thinks that there is something to that...

kprep, you should check out the studies on creatine + vegetarians and creatine + depression. If you're suffering from mental fatigue, creatine might be a supplement you'd want to check out. While creatine can be found in meats, the powdered supplements are synthetic and veg-friendly. Just a thought! (I'm not a doctor. :)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost 15 years... I think it's a good idea to learn some new recipes and introduce yourself to new foods. The group Happy Herbivores has all sorts of recipes and ideas, and of course, the internet is a great source.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It depends what kind of a vegetarian you are going to be. I stopped eating red meat when I heard about mad cow disease and after a few years I decided to give up eating meat all together. I didn't eat fish either as I think what is the difference that is a living creature too. Problem was I wasn't the healthiest of vegetarians and even though I like veg I seemed to eat a lot less of it when I was veggie, it just seems to go better with meat lol. So I ended up eating Pizzas, ready meals, more cheese than I used to eat and I found that I put on weight and my health suffered. Probably because there just wasn't as much choice for vegetarians then and my mum didn't have a clue what to make for me lol.

I started eating meat again when I was pregnant becuase I craved it so badly (obviously needed the iron) and have never really gone back but I do still like to have quorn and some other veggie stuff that I used to have sometimes.

Good luck if you are going to try it :smile:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Different dietary choices work for different people. I'd say if you're doing it for ethical reasons, go for it, but if you're doing it for health, I wouldn't. I was vegetarian for 3 years and felt like crap the whole time, and I was making "smart" and careful choices. I know some people feel MORE energy, but I felt lethargic and depressed.

This is not an uncommon experience. I have a cousin who eats very healthy, but felt like crap being a vegetarian, and was ordered by his doctor to eat fish once a week. After that, he felt much better. So, I guess the short version is that not everyone is made to be a vegetarian, but even they don't need as much meat as most people eat.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for 3 years in my 20s. All I can say is that it was HARD WORK!
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You should try it out. It's my 3rd week of being a vegetarian and I feel so much better about myself. I don't feel at all sluggish throughout the day and just overall a happier person. After you get into the groove of things meat is just "ehhh" to you and I found that tofu is the greatest thing ever invented as a meat substitute. I tried becoming a pesco-vegetarian because I love tuna, but when I ate tuna after a while of just eating salads and juicing veggies I didn't enjoy the taste as much as I thought I did. Well anyway good luck girl, it's definitely something you should explore :)
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    google 'link between vegetarianism and depression'
    ive been a vegetarian for a while and while im not planning on going back, my mom really thinks that there is something to that...

Unfortunately you can probably google anything and come up with some kind of evidence (or 'evidence') to support it. I'm agreat believer in using diet to address a number of ailments but you have to be so careful with what you read online. If you are suffering from depression you should really see a professional...
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I say I'm "mostly vegan" - I couldn't give up cheese & don't want to, so I limit it, & allow myself meat only for birthdays, BBQs (I make great BBQ chicken) & Vegas lol

& yes - "Skinny *****" was a great book I read in 2006 that helped start my change of eating & I love it & recommend it to everyone.

If you're looking to start being a vegetarian or want to try it out, take steps like, when you go to the grocery store just don't buy meat. You can't eat it at home if you don't have it. When you go out to dinner or something, see what other options are available to you.

Try never to think that you "can't" have something. More often than not it'll make you want it more. Focus not on what you can't have, but all the other things you CAN that are so much better. :)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm a flexitarian -- I eat limited amounts of beef, chicken, and pork, with occasional seafood.

I can't believe there is a word for this.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    i eat chicken, turkey and fish .. i dont like red meat
  • JacquiDawn
    Options
    When I'm at uni I'm mostly a vegetarian - not out of choice of cutting meat out, but purely because of the cost! Unless I can find some reduced meat that I can eat straight away or freeze, I stick to the vegetarian substitutes.

And when I'm at home and not having to pay for food during the holidays, I eat all the meat I can haha.