I just bought another dress that's too small.....

Options
I am tight size 18 (UK) and have just bought yet another size 16 beautiful dress adding to my wardrobe full of too small new clothes into which I am hoping to fit sometime in the future... The truth is that I have never fit into them as I am not good at losing weight (yet) and those clothes just hang there without use. It is all for the motivation of losing weight but it has been years and I am still size 18....

Should I return the dress? Anyone around feeling desperate like me?

Replies

• PrincessMiriamele
    PrincessMiriamele Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think you should return it and get one that fits you now, then when you do lose weight buy another dress.

All those clothes in the wardrobe are just making you feel bad rather than motivating you. Put then away for a while?

xxx
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to just one "too small" dress. I did that for inspiration for myself as I was losing weight, though sometimes I ended up finding out that even after I lost the weight, the dress ended up just not looking right on me (it was made for someone much more small chested than me), but then I couldn't return it back for the same amount of money I paid for it.
  • robynn412
    robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that way anymore, but I used to do the same exact thing. Why do we do that to ourselves? Once my head was in making these changes and implementing healthier eating habits and exercise, I started seeing changes and have been fitting into those once too small clothes...and let me tell you, when you can finally fit it, it's the BEST feeling ever! And very motivating to keep up the good work.

I found a shirt in my closet I'd bought like 10 yrs ago...cute short sleeve, button up that I couldn't even button, and the sleeves were so tight on my arms it was ridiculous. Tried it on the other day and it was a little too big...not too mention SO hideous! My taste has changed a lot over the years. It went from never worn in the closet straight to the goodwill pile.

I don't necessarily think you need to return the dress...use it as a motivator, hang it up where you'll see it everyday, and get down to business with logging food and exercising. You can do this, and you'll be in that dress before you know it. But, stop doing that to yourself...you're only torturing yourself by getting it home and feeling defeated when it doesn't fit and you can enjoy it already. And there will always be a new dress out there to buy. :smile:
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I would return it. I have a few things I bought when I was at my lowest weight after starting MFP. I gained 5 lbs after my wedding and they're too tight now. I'd rather have not spent the money, and gone shopping when I'm able to maintain my weight. I'm still working to lose the weight, and the things I bought are now totally out of season, and by next winter I probably won't even want to wear them because I'll want to go shopping for new stuff, and I never go out enough to wear everything I have for the season.
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hm.... The dress is so beautiful that I really really don't want to give up. I am getting to the point where I don't want to be buying the big clothes, and the ones of size 18 getting really old and worn, and instead of buying what I need at the moment I motivate myself with those beautiful tiny clothes... I do need to return the dress. But then does it mean I do not believe that I am capable of losing just one dress size??
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    No, it means you are being budget conscious.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    Hm.... The dress is so beautiful that I really really don't want to give up. I am getting to the point where I don't want to be buying the big clothes, and the ones of size 18 getting really old and worn, and instead of buying what I need at the moment I motivate myself with those beautiful tiny clothes... I do need to return the dress. But then does it mean I do not believe that I am capable of losing just one dress size??

Deep breath
    log everything you ate today.
    take a walk log teh walk
    repeat tomorrow only a longer walk
    repeate day after that. look on youtube for exercise videos and do one and/or take a longe walk
    repeat

you CAN lose the weight. you can likely get into that dress in 2-3 wks. find you caloreis & stick to them
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have tried this in the past. It only made me angry at myself for not ever getting into the dress. I still have clothes that are wiating for someday.
  • littlecrystal
    Options
    Ok alright getting your point! Need to return the dress. Will stop buying those 1-size-too-small-clothes. I needed this kick to my *kitten*. Thanks guys.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I find that too small clothes sitting in my closet depress me even more.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    well, i have bought several pairs of jeans and dresses in the sales that are the next size down to motivate me lol! the only problem is now im kind of in a size where I have very few clothes that fit lol! im taking that as a motivator itself!
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I would keep it since you love it so much. If you are serious, then it would take you about a month to fit into it. BUT if I were you, I would not buy anymore clothes until I have reached my first goal. This is exactly what I am doing, I literally had no winterclothes, all worn out, but didnt want to go buy new clothes bc I am serious this time about losing weight. So I bought 2 cheap black pants for work and now I am not allowed to buy new clothes until I lose 8kg. I get tempted w the amazing sales we have around here but this is a hard ban, and no more investment into clothes I dont fit into.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Its an awesome feeling when your able to get into all of the clothes you either grew out of or bought optimistically.
    Keep it, see if it fits in 6 weeks after some diligent logging on mfp and some decent exercise.
  • littlecrystal
    Options
    On another note, I will not be wearing most of my 18 size dresses either. I visited my employer’s office abroad last year. I met the manager of that office for the first time. He asked me “are you pregnant?” No, I wasn’t! I was just wearing one of these dresses which has high elasticated waist.

Anyway, I haven’t worn that dress since. The new one, size 16, is a little black dress. No more high elasticated waists for me…

I lost almost 8 pounds in the last 2 weeks (not showing on my MFP because I was above my starting weight), so feeling positive about being serious this time.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I dont think you should buy anymore dresses. wait until you are at your ideal weight. you might find you need lower than a 16.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I do this.. and I only buy the dress if 1. it's ridiculously on sale. I mean I've gotten some beautttiful dresses for under 7 bucks, full three piece suits for 21 bucks. and 2. they're very classic aka they'll never go out of style. Because they serve as motivators to me.. and once I can't use them anymore I donate them to a charity that gives them to women to need them to go on job interviews that wouldn't otherwise afford them. So either way, I look at it as a win win.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've done this and when I got to the desired size they weren't the right shape for me. You don't know what your shape is going to be then... It's not all about the size but also the cut of the dress. Take it back and every time you lose 1lb put £1 or 1 dollar if your American in a jar or more... Set a mini goal and when your at that Wright empty the jar and go buy a nice dress... You know then you'll find something that fits your new shape! Whatever size that is. Get the money back and start your jar off with it x
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The problem with buying a dress in a size you don't fit is that you can't try it on first so you don't know if it will fit your shape right when you reach that size. Instead I would say get to the size first, then treat yourself as a reward.
  • Sayoh
    Sayoh Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nice idea on keeping a dollar for every lb lost...definitely stealing it
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    That depends on how long you bought that dress and make sure that the dress price tag is still there and that you still have the receipt with you otherwise the store wouldn't recognize it.

I understand that you're doing it for motivation but to be honest I don't think that buying clothes that are too small is the wisest thing to do. Unless you are well aware that the dress suits your body shape but just randomly picking something small out of the store closet just because it look cute without considering the fitting is not practical at all and in fact it can be discouraging. Heck even thin people shouldn't do it too. It just looks awful to anyone whether your fat or thin.

There are other ways to motivate you to get into the body you want without sacrificing your money.