Pre diabetes

Options
I was diagnosed with pre diabetes about a month and a half ago . Since then I have lost around 12 pounds and I've been exercising and taking my glucose readings . My question is do you believe that pre diebetes can be cured by losing weight , eating right and exercise ? I read a lot online . There are many doctors who believe that most people who are diagnosed pre diabetic will become full blown diabetic in 2-4 years . I want to do everything I can to get healthy . I don't want to ever be diagnosed full blown type 2 .

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe pre-diabetes and even full blown diabetes can be controlled with diet and exercise. Your body is an efficient machine, good at what it does, you just have to treat it right if you want it to work properly. <3

Best of luck!
  • juppsterlou
    Options
    hi there, i was referred to a diabetes prevention clinic last year and the nurse in charge certainly seemed to think that you could avoid becoming diabetic with simple changes to habit & behaviour. She recommended very small changes that were maintained long term and became the norm, so rather than decide 'no chocolate for the rest of my life', you perhaps decided to buy a 200g bar rather than a 400g bar ... not that I am using myself as an example here ;)
    I fell off the waggon a bit in the autumn and stopped going to my appointments (other issues took priority) but even so, I managed to maintain the weight loss that I had achieved, and that includes across christmas!!
    Just this afternoon i made an apt to refer myself back and hope that I can carry on where we left off ... i also want to avoid type 2 like the plague, highly needle phobic so could really do without it!!

best of luck in your endeavours ... and I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if others have more scientific evidence to support the idea of diabetes prevention ... either way, we've got to be doing our health & well being some good if we cut down on fat & sugar intake and increase the exercise levels a bit ;)
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I agree, I think pre-diabetes can be reversed and diabetes can be controlled and/or reversed by diet and exercise. Although I don't have diabetes or pre-diabetes as of yet, I'm heading there if I don't take control NOW. Hence one of the reasons I am on here. I gain weight in my stomach, my mother had diabetes 2 caused by lifestyle choices (overweight, belly fat and sedentary lifestyle). I refuse to go down that road.

Congrats on the 12 pounds down!!!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes with my third and fourth pregnancies. Last spring, when I went in for my post partum checkup they said that my fasting glucose levels were a bit high, making me prediabetic. I do believe that eating right and exercising (and controlling weight) plays a big part in whether or not you are later diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. But, I also think that genetics plays a part as well and that for some people lifestyle changes are not enough. I think that the fact that lifestyle is a factor is a great motivator but I wish that people would understand that it isn't the ONLY factor. It seems that now people think that if you have diabetes you have done something wrong and that is not always the case. When I was pregnant and had to take insulin, I had people say all the time that "they were afraid of insulin so they controlled it with diet alone", implying that I wasn't watching what I ate since I had to take insulin. That is not the case. I did follow the diet carefully but my body still needed additional insulin.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Although, I suspect you probably have a higher risk if you revert to your previous habits.

>There are many doctors who believe that most people who are diagnosed pre diabetic will become full blown diabetic in 2-4 years .

IMO, they are being realistic (if cynical) - Most people don't put forth the effort to stop it. Most people don;t lose weight. Most people don't stop smoking. Most people don't stop drinking to excess. Most people don't exercise. Most people don't eat right.

Don't be most people.

(You might also ask about metformin. There are some studies that show that it can also be useful in preventing type II.

http://www.diabetes.org/news-research/research/access-diabetes-research/can-meformin-prevent-or-delay-type-2-diabetes.html )
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Just over a year ago, I was 210 lb. I lost about 40 in the first six months of 2012 (nearly 20% of my original body weight) and was then diagnosed with prediabetes. So, diet and exercise have been shown clinically to help control the disease (I hate to say cure) but are not the only factor.

I exercise (weights and cardio) a lot now, have kept the weight off, and have my diet fairly well under control, but my fasting numbers are still sometimes too high. So, either I haven't found the right diet for me yet, or I'm just one of those people for whom it won't matter, no matter what I do.

Still, I'm hopeful that I can keep it as under control as possible for as long as possible, so I'm not giving up yet!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing... there are plenty of people at a normal weight that have T2 diabetes and plenty of obese people who do not have and never will have it so being overweight does not actually cause it.

That being said losing weight, exercise and diet can keep your blood sugar stable and at "normal" levels (for example under 140) post meals. I have read of people who lost a lot of weight and said they no longer have diabetes but have found no info on what their actual A1C or what happens to their blood sugar levels. I suspect if they ate something like 100 carbs in one sitting they would still spike but I don't know... I hope to find out for myself in the next year :).

I have been reading everything I can, met with my dr, nutritionist and diabetes educator, read books and gotten advice from people that have lived with it for many years so this is just based off my experience so far - there really isn't a "cure" for diabetes as much as there is "control".

edit to add metformin: is a drug that keeps the liver from dumping glucose into your bloodstream so that you do not spike as much, so fyi that is basically what it does
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the replies . I realize if I don't change my eating habits and get to and stay at a healthy weight I will more than likely become full blown diabetic . This has scared the day lights out of me ! I will get down to 160- 170 and I will stay there . I will exercise most days . (I just finished my first day of the 30 day shred ) I will check my glucose levels every day . Fasting has never been above 130 and 2 hours post meal it is 75-95 . I will keep my blood suger under control .
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pre diabetes about a month and a half ago . Since then I have lost around 12 pounds and I've been exercising and taking my glucose readings . My question is do you believe that pre diebetes can be cured by losing weight , eating right and exercise ? I read a lot online . There are many doctors who believe that most people who are diagnosed pre diabetic will become full blown diabetic in 2-4 years . I want to do everything I can to get healthy . I don't want to ever be diagnosed full blown type 2 .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSUw9SaPLmA

check that link out.

Raw (or 60%) vegan diet seems to be one of the best methods without drugs. As a former eat meat till you sweat, this is an easy diet.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Can diabetes be cured by losing weight, eating right and exercise?

No, it is a progressive disease, but you can control your glucose levels and prevent complications from high glucose levels. In addition, you can slow the progression of your diabetes by diet, weight, exercise, and medication.

My diabetes is controlled, but all I need to do is consume a “normal ” (for a non diabetic) amount of carbohydrates in any form, and my glucose spikes way up.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    It's basically a metabolic disorder effecting carbohydrate metabolism from chronically elevated blood glucose, in other words insulin resistance. Weight loss (deficit) works because blood glucose levels drop from less overall available glucose on a comparative level. Exercise works because it increases glucose transport during exercise and the after effects of that is increased insulin sensitivity. Lowering carb intake will work in tandem with weight loss and exercise, which I believe works the best.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have been Type I (insulin dependent) for 23 years. There are differences between Type I and II but in terms of controlling the disease (and in your case hopefully delaying it for a very long time), you need to have a daily exercise regime and eat a healthy diet. I cannot stress how big an impact exercise has on blood sugar control. Get some every day! You don't need to go nuts but make sure you get 45 minutes a day walking or jogging (or whatever you like to do that gets your heart rate going). Eat foods that are low glycemic as these will not cause spikes in blood sugar. For example, if you like bread or pasta, make sure you eat ones that are 100% whole grain and don't have enriched flour as that crap is awful for blood sugar control.

You don't have to eat a special diet or avoid carbs when you have diabetes. You just want to eat healthy and watch your portion sizes just like everyone else should do.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I have been Type I (insulin dependent) for 23 years. There are differences between Type I and II but in terms of controlling the disease (and in your case hopefully delaying it for a very long time), you need to have a daily exercise regime and eat a healthy diet. I cannot stress how big an impact exercise has on blood sugar control. Get some every day! You don't need to go nuts but make sure you get 45 minutes a day walking or jogging (or whatever you like to do that gets your heart rate going). Eat foods that are low glycemic as these will not cause spikes in blood sugar. For example, if you like bread or pasta, make sure you eat ones that are 100% whole grain and don't have enriched flour as that crap is awful for blood sugar control.

You don't have to eat a special diet or avoid carbs when you have diabetes. You just want to eat healthy and watch your portion sizes just like everyone else should do.
    Agree with most of this but, I would suggest that Low GI doesn't necessarily equate to no spike in insulin. White pasta and snickers are low GI and these will definitely elicit an insulin response, while something with a high GI, fruit for example eaten in conjunction with a balanced meal will have less overall effect on an insulin response. If someone doesn't want to reduce carbs while trying to fix their insulin resistance, I would suggest that they employ the glycemic load as well as the glycemic index to find the full effect on insulin from the volume of carbs as well as it's ability to effect insulin.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yeah Snickers and pasta are not something your going to want to make a part of your regular diet especially if your diabetic.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Yeah Snickers and pasta are not something your going to want to make a part of your regular diet especially if your diabetic.
    I know, but you said low GI won't cause spikes in insulin, so then why not eat them? I guess you missed my point, that's ok, it wasn't the first time and won't be the last.:smile:
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You may also want to take a look at the Diabetes Support Group here on MFP. I have found the group very supportive and helpful.

URL is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1789-type-2-diabetes-support-group

I was diagnosed as having T2 Diabetes 5 months ago since then I have got my A1C back into the "normal" range ie under 6.0 by diet and exercise. I have the diabetes controlled, I am not cured.

As hatethegame stated, exercise and diet have the biggest impact. Weight Loss as it reduces the insulin resistance and exercise as it helps the muscles take up the "sugar" in your blood.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing... there are plenty of people at a normal weight that have T2 diabetes and plenty of obese people who do not have and never will have it so being overweight does not actually cause it.

I'm not sure that you know what you are talking about at all. Try to read some peer reviewed science rather than random opinions on the internet . Type 2 diabetes is very closely related to weight.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Can diabetes be cured by losing weight, eating right and exercise?

No, it is a progressive disease, but you can control your glucose levels and prevent complications from high glucose levels. In addition, you can slow the progression of your diabetes by diet, weight, exercise, and medication.

My diabetes is controlled, but all I need to do is consume a “normal ” (for a non diabetic) amount of carbohydrates in any form, and my glucose spikes way up.

the link I provided and the people in it would disagree. I have a friend with Type 1 diabetes who is almost completely off his meds after going mostly raw vegan. Should we believe mainstream health-science on this? I mean what do they have to gain finding a cure? Same thing with cancer... Money is in the treatment...
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Indeed there is a big difference in mechanism between type 1 and type 2 diabetes in that type 1 is caused by insulin deficiency and type 2 by insulin resistance and it is type 2 that people generally aquire in adulthood.

Is there any consensus on the cause of insulin resistance? Is it peak insulin levels, i.e. insulin spikes due to "meals" that deliver glucose to the bloodstream very fast or is it chronically high insulin, i.e. a diet/lifestyle that means the cells that respond to insulin never see insulin drop to a low level, or are both factors?

If it is the spikes that are the problem it would be possible to avoid developing insulin resistance by choosing low GI foods or meal combinations that limit the rate at which the glucose enters the blood. If the later then reducing the total carb intake would be more successful. If both are factors then maybe a combination approach would be the most successful.

I have seen almost nothing offerered on the mechanism by which exercise would be beneficial in this though everyone seems to agree it is a good idea. I have read that in the presence of insulin the muscles will preferentially use glucose and in the absense of it switch to using fatty acids so on that basis taking exercise in the period after a meal when the blood glucose level is rising would mean the glucose was removed from the blood faster for a given level of insulin which could limit the peak insulin level. What would happen when the timing doesn't match, though? Does having deplete gycogen levels in muscles mean they can do something similar but storing the glucose rather than immediately using it?

Regarding reversal of insulin resistance aagain I don't know. There are plenty of cases where the body adjusts to the levels of things including just about all things that alter neuurological state, hence the reducing effects of mind altering drugs and these adjustments seem to be made back towards normal when the offending substance is removed. There are also cases where chronic overstimulation causes permanent damages such as noise induced hearing loss.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I'm not sure that you know what you are talking about at all. Try to read some peer reviewed science rather than random opinions on the internet . Type 2 diabetes is very closely related to weight.

What I have read suggests being obese or to a lesser extend overweight and type 2 diabtes often go together but that does mean that one causes the other. It seems more likely that both have a common cause in a particular diet/lifestyle and that correcting the diet/lifestyle deals with the weight and avoids the type 2 diabetes.