cheese nsv

Options
katy_trail
katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
Taco night with the family. I decided to leave the cheese off the table.
(There other toppings-
chicken, sauteed peppers and onions, salsa verde', and sour cream. )
This is the first time, maybe ever, I didn't need the cheese. didn't miss it.
and it is easy to eat tons of tacos, because they are so small, but I'm proud of
my portion. I had 3 crunchy tacos (just the tortilla is 150 for 3)
so that really wasn't too bad :) and if I wanted more then, I just
ate a lettuce wrapped version with the chicken and toppings.

some of you may have read some other threads or comments I've made about cheese.
I'm not really trying to get rid of cheese- really just cheddar and mozzarella, but
I don't want to be chained to cheese for flavor.
I don't like feeling like this food HAS to have cheese on it.
So for now at least, I'm doing better with being satisfied with a reasonable portion,

if you are trying to flavor your food with less or no cheese
try
different kinds of sweet or spicy peppers
onions and garlic
different kinds of mustard
adobo sauce- the sauce inside a can of chipotle peppers.
citrus flavors
have hummus with veggies instead of cheese and crackers

Replies

• libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I found gomasio (a sesame seed condiment with a tiny bit of salt- 0.1%) really helpful when trying to cut back on cheese. It adds that savoury deliciousness that cheese brings.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That's amazing. I'm a cheese addict. Good thing it fits in my calories and macros, so I can eat it! I would kind of like to cut back on it, though, since dairy does bad things to my digestion, but I'm not sure I'm able to... :ohwell: I will try your suggestions. But good for you taking the control back from the food! :drinker:

It's funny how you describe your need for cheese. It reminds me of myself a little. Whenever I'm eating something and the food is cheeseless I have a habit of saying, "This ____ would be perfect if it had some cheese!" My husband even sometimes finishes the sentence for me. I'm so bad...:blushing:
  • BelleRache
    BelleRache Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ever tried Nutritional Yeast? Sounds hideous, looks a bit weird (like yellowish dandruff) and smells a bit funky but if you can get past all that it tastes pretty good. It's a yeast that is grown naturally and is rich in lots of vitamins - often used as a vegan 'cheesy' flavouring. And it's very low in calories. I too am a cheese lover (my NSV is grating cheese for the birds this morning and not eating any!) - I find that a bit of nutritional yeast (or 'nooch' as some call it) with a scant bit of sea salt really hits that salty, cheesy craving.

Well done on the no-cheese tacos - we don't really do tacos on a big scale in the UK but we do have fajitas and chilli and yes I can see how no cheese for me would be almost unthinkable!
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I saw on another thread that someone said they grate a little parmesan on instead of cheddar etc as it has a stronger flavour and so a little is all you need. Brilliant idea!
  • justmeeh91
    justmeeh91 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great job! I made turkey lettuce wraps a couple weeks ago (romaine leaf instead of tortilla), and I didnt use cheese, nor did I use sour cream!! For me, everything tastes better with sour cream!!!! Instead I made a really yummy greek yogurt sauce! I took plain nonfat greek yogurt, 1 avocado, and some peeled cucumber and diced it up really small, mixed together and wa-la :) I didnt miss the sour cream, or cheese! :) I Have a recipe page on Facebook if anyone cares to LIKE it, I would be greatful! :) I also have a tutorial for my lettuce wraps, Here is the link for it! :)https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=142534859235029
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's a big step forward =) I found cheese really difficult to cut back on as well when I first started but now I see it as a once in a while thing if I fancy it. These days a block of cheese from the super market lasts me a month at least lol
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Great job! I made turkey lettuce wraps a couple weeks ago (romaine leaf instead of tortilla), and I didnt use cheese, nor did I use sour cream!! For me, everything tastes better with sour cream!!!! Instead I made a really yummy greek yogurt sauce! I took plain nonfat greek yogurt, 1 avocado, and some peeled cucumber and diced it up really small, mixed together and wa-la :) I didnt miss the sour cream, or cheese! :) I Have a recipe page on Facebook if anyone cares to LIKE it, I would be greatful! :) I also have a tutorial for my lettuce wraps, Here is the link for it! :)https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=142534859235029

That sounds delicious! Definitely going to try that - thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!