for the disheartened

Options
Weight loss is hard for most people, most of us know this really well and its all too easy to throw in the towel when it doesn't happen as we want it to. So you decide to go on a diet right? I guess like most people you want the weight gone NOW!! I know i did!! But all i can do is tell you my little fat story so you know it CAN be done.

I weighed in at 284lbs in october 1999. I knew i was fat but it wasnt until i was confronted with a full length mirror in a chain store that i realised HOW fat. I was a UK 26 and had gained 10st in 8 years. That very night i cried my way to my nearest Slimming World and steadily over the next 10 months i lost 8 stones. Steadily i gained a stone over the next two years and settled at a size 14 which i thought was fantastic after being so big.
Last year 2012 i finally faced the full length mirror again and admitted that despite being a tall 5ft10 i was now size 16 and 195lb and i didnt look good at all so i really cleaned up my act and hit the gym. Im now down to 151lb and have 11lb to go and im a UK10.
It hasnt been easy, i cant help you with macros and TDEEs, there are those much more qualified than me here for that.I just moved my *kitten* and ate less than i burned. I've wavered and put on a few pounds more than once and had to re-lose them (my own fault for being a pig) I've cried and cursed, complained and griped and ive celebrated each stone as it came off. Im no saint i eat terribly sometimes and my hand is magnestised to the biscuit tin but im getting better and ive almost made it. Maintaining will be hard but i'll get there and so will all of you. Just KEEP GOING!!

Replies

• sugar66
    sugar66 Posts: 41
    Options
    I have always been overweight, and over the years got steadily bigger and then in Jan 2012 found myself at 326lb, although this was not my heaviest, I decided to finally do something about my weight. I started to keep my food diary on here and over the last year have managed to lose 96lb although MFP say different because I joined and then put extra weight on.
    I also have no ideas about all the latest things such as TDEE all i know is by watching my food intake I've lost the weight.
    I also cannot do a great deal of exercise as I have major health problems, but i am getting to where I want to be.
    Good luck to you and all who are starting out on this journey of change
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. It is slow and steady that wins the race. Everyday is a struggle but taking it one day at a time it get easier. Great attitude, good luck on your maintenance. Hope to get there but still have about 60 lbs to lose
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Fantastic!! If you have been on the decline for 13 years maintaining should be a breeze for you!!
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    Thanks for posting. It is slow and steady that wins the race. Everyday is a struggle but taking it one day at a time it get easier. Great attitude, good luck on your maintenance. Hope to get there but still have about 60 lbs to lose

Its hard when you still have a lot to go. I used to look at people who had made it and imagine that they'd had it easy and that it was okay for them because they were slim. I was jealous, really jealous and envious and it was only when i started the journey myself that i understood how hard they'd worked. You will get there and you'll look amazing!!
  • RacheUk82
    RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is hard for most people, most of us know this really well and its all too easy to throw in the towel when it doesn't happen as we want it to. So you decide to go on a diet right? I guess like most people you want the weight gone NOW!! I know i did!! But all i can do is tell you my little fat story so you know it CAN be done.

I weighed in at 284lbs in october 1999. I knew i was fat but it wasnt until i was confronted with a full length mirror in a chain store that i realised HOW fat. I was a UK 26 and had gained 10st in 8 years. That very night i cried my way to my nearest Slimming World and steadily over the next 10 months i lost 8 stones. Steadily i gained a stone over the next two years and settled at a size 14 which i thought was fantastic after being so big.
    Last year 2012 i finally faced the full length mirror again and admitted that despite being a tall 5ft10 i was now size 16 and 195lb and i didnt look good at all so i really cleaned up my act and hit the gym. Im now down to 151lb and have 11lb to go and im a UK10.
    It hasnt been easy, i cant help you with macros and TDEEs, there are those much more qualified than me here for that.I just moved my *kitten* and ate less than i burned. I've wavered and put on a few pounds more than once and had to re-lose them (my own fault for being a pig) I've cried and cursed, complained and griped and ive celebrated each stone as it came off. Im no saint i eat terribly sometimes and my hand is magnestised to the biscuit tin but im getting better and ive almost made it. Maintaining will be hard but i'll get there and so will all of you. Just KEEP GOING!!

THIS!! Thanks so much for this, I really need to hear it.... Congratulations on your losses! x
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Mine was getting copied in on a letter from a surgeon to my GP which started "subject is a large man".....

He may as well have written: "now I know where all the pies went"...

I was nigh on 240lbs then, am 192 now.
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Mine was getting copied in on a letter from a surgeon to my GP which started "subject is a large man".....

Mine was being told by my doctor I couldn't use the contraceptive pill I'd been on for the past 11 years because my BMI had tipped over into the Obese category and thus they weren't legally allowed to prescribe it to me any more.

Like you said, they may as well have just said "Well you've become a bit of a chunk haven't you?", it hit me like a punch in the gut!
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    Well done!

Mine was being told by my doctor I couldn't use the contraceptive pill I'd been on for the past 11 years because my BMI had tipped over into the Obese category and thus they weren't legally allowed to prescribe it to me any more.

Like you said, they may as well have just said "Well you've become a bit of a chunk haven't you?", it hit me like a punch in the gut!

My own revelation was a hell of a shock. My now ex husband had given me money for an outfit for a wedding we were attending so i headed to the store. Picking up a size 26 i justified it telling myself ''oh they cut the clothes small in here'' Once in the changing room i pulled and heaved but the suit trousers wouldnt go past mid thigh no matter how i tried. Now changing rooms are notorious for making you look bad anyway with all that fluorescent light but i looked up and i saw a massive woman with rolls of cellulite spilling over a pair of visibly too small trousers. It took a minute to register that it was me and then i burst into tears. I scrambled into my elastic waisted tent and flew for the nearest payphone and called my husband. I remember clearly shrieking ''WHY didnt you tell me'' down the phone to him. I really wish i had a photo from back then but i refused to have photos taken..the biggest i have is size 20
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Heh - Id noticed that GAP sizes are much bigger than anyone elses - so, Id buy clothes in there - when I was a 36 there, I was a 38 everywhere else....
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    Heh - Id noticed that GAP sizes are much bigger than anyone elses - so, Id buy clothes in there - when I was a 36 there, I was a 38 everywhere else....

Anywhere but Evans was cut small according to me lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!