Eating more (UK freezing cold!)

Options
Hi, Is anyone in the UK with the current colder weather finding that they are eating more than they would usually?

Replies

• kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I haven't been eating more, but I have found that I've wanted to eat more!

I usually have a smoothie in the morning but I can't bring myself to because it makes me cold inside. I don't really want to eat porridge either. I usually crave hot chocolates. Actually chocolate in general. I usually crave savoury foods but since its got cold I've got a real sweet tooth coming through!

Do we burn more calories in the cold weather?! Or a noticeable amount more?
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I find I'm hungry ALL the time, the colder the weather the hungrier I am....currently -3 and almost cried because I'm so hungry (I had half a tin of spaghetti hoops just over an hour ago!)
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've lost my appetite since weighing in on my new scale which had just told me ive gained 10lbs !
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Nom nom nom what was that? nom nom nom
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been eating lots of fatty things. Hard to know if thats just me or the cold has a part to play. I imagine somewhere deep down primitively our body thinks, winter....cold....need storage...But I don't think I can use that as an excuse.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Yes. You burn more calories when it is cold.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    No, just been drinking more tea.
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    salad isn't very appealing in the cold :cry:
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Since the cold weather started I increased a bit in weight (weird eh?) - so a day or two ago, I upped my limit a 100-150 calories and have since dropped the weight I gained.

I spend a fair amount of time out in the cold waiting for buses that often don't come, so am using a bit more energy than normal to keep body temperature up I guess. I'll just have to see how this experiment goes...
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've lost my appetite since weighing in on my new scale which had just told me ive gained 10lbs !

Oh NO!! What a bummer Khadijak! Get back in there girl...you can do it and get those few pounds off again!! .. :smile:

Being an OAP I'm indoors a lot so I can keep the heating on and so no "cold" hungers.
    On the other hand I just have to fight the "boredom" hungers... :laugh:
  • supermoo2
    Options
    I am but I make sure it is healthy, and lower in calories. Fruit and veg is a good thing.

Just stay away from 'comfort foods' that have been cooked in loads of fat and have load of calories.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options

So true. Although not so appealing a lot of the time, hence my extra layers of fat :-)
  • supermoo2
    Options
    Salad is not the only healthy thing out there. In fact, I have lost 3 stone 10 lb in 12 months and had salad only a couple of times a week in the summer, and maybe twice a month in the winter, But my eating is still healthy. It's all about the cooking methods and the choices you make, and the exercise that you do - and in winter my only exercise is walking!!!!
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the only healthy thing but it easy for me to take to work so tends to be my lunch most of the time
  • kiangel
    kiangel Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    ME !!! The sun is shining but it is sooooo cold :( Walking is my exercise of choice , and I am having to swap it for indoor wii exercise .

Roll on the spring :)
  • 3bree375
    3bree375 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    No, just been drinking more tea.

Good idea :drinker:
  • Squirlgirly
    Squirlgirly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I load up on veggie chilli con carne when it's cold. It's super fulling and really warming when I am trying to avoid putting the heating on!
  • 3bree375
    3bree375 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am in France. It was -7 when I woke up. Ridiculous!!! I have found that I am eating more. But that is mostly because I don't want to go outside to do anything and I am bored.... BAD!
  • sd75
    sd75 Posts: 49
    Options
    HAven't noticed eating more - but def exercising less. Am going to try a lunchtime wander tho - its quite sunny here so thought i'd make the most of that at least !!!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting more warm stuff, be it food or drink,
    though ignored it yesterday and now I have a cold for doing so :( hmmph!
    x