Kale and Spinach!

Options
XoCynthiaXo
XoCynthiaXo Posts: 78 Member
Need more ways to add these to my daily food and diet but not sure if i can take the taste eating it alone, any ideas?

Replies

• marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sure, I make a soup with sweet potatoes and canellini beans and kale. I think I found it on all recipes.com
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'd say if taste is an issue for you - use fresh and don't boil them! I used to hate leafy greens cooked until I discovered that using frozen ones and boiling them was the issue. I use the pre washed variety of spinach and baby kale a lot - they are ostensibly for salad but are wonderful with a tsp of olive oil or butter in a hot pan, a bit of fresh chopped garlic and saute until the greens are barely wilted. Of course both make great salads hot or cold (just wilted as above or raw) try a little fruit like chopped mango with raw greens in a salad. Mature kale can be steamed until tender and added, finely chopped, to mashed potatoes. Soups of course - just chop and add to your favorite vegetable or broth based soup near the end of cooking time. Add to pasta sauces and simmer until wilted.......
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love spinach. I have trouble some days keeping it down to just one meal a day. I put spinach with everything, on everything. I use baby spinach as a substitute for lettuce in salad, I put it in frittata, in most sauces, I even eat it on sandwiches. And it's so much nicer fresh and uncooked.
  • blink1281
    blink1281 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try a shake. It might sound gross but it is really good. Put as much veggies in as you want. I do a bunch of Kale, spinach, 1 pear, 1 banana and water. Blend it all up and have it for breakfast. I have been doing this everyday for about 2 months and i feel incredible. I make mine the night before and it keeps in the fridge fine until the morning.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I personally like Dr. Oz's 3-day detox cleanse breakfast and dinner smoothies. The breakfast one has spinach, and the dinner one has kale. When my spinach starts to get junk, I boil it and drain it, then pour a mixture of shoyu and vinegar on it. I also steam kale and then dress it with lemon juice, olive oil, and shoyu. Also, even though people have said not to eat the hard stems of kale, I find that after I strip the stems and steam the leaves or use them in a smoothie, I can use the stems almost like celery and dip it in jalapeno greek yogurt.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I also make smoothies. A favorite of mine is 1 C chopped kale, 1/2 a cucumber, 1 kiwi, and 1/4 c frozen pineapple! Can't taste the kale at all.

If you don't have a good blender, blend the kale first on low with some water, then add kiwi and cucumber on medium, and lasty the frozen stuff on high/pulse.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I hear Kale is really good in soups or sauteed with some bacon. I have some atm and I'm going to use half for Kale Chips. The rest I'll probably add to other food to hide it in.

Same goes for spinach with hiding it in stuff. I don't particularly like the taste alone (the big kind), so I will add it mostly into omelets or scrambles. It pairs really well with eggs imo. I do love me some baby spinach though! If I have a surplus of baby spinach I will add it into things like regular spinach but I mostly just use baby for salads or for wrapping up little pieces of meat for snacking.
  • yannethfr
    yannethfr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love both kale and spinach. I agree with the other post about including them in smoothies for breakfast. I alternate my smoothies between both spinach and kale and with the added fruit the taste isn't as strong and they are filling and delicious.

I also love making a salad of kale, quinoa, finely chopped red onion, some chopped cucumbers and a lemon-olive oil dressing. You can top with parmesean or feta cheese if you'd like or omit it. You can even add some chopped walnuts or almonds if you like. Roasted pumpkins seeds (pepitas in Spanish) tend to be my favorite. It super delish.

How about some kale chips, chop it into chip size pieces, spray or toss them with a little a olive oil, add whatever seasoning you like and bake at 350-375 until crispy.

You can also include them in omelettes or if for dinner as an egg patty/pancake thing (i don't know how to really describe them).
    Chop either kale or spinach, beat an egg or 2 in a bowl. Add kale or spinach, season with a dash of salt and pepper. Mix until very well combined and with your hand or a spoon scoop out a small pancake size onto a pan sprayed with olive oil, cooking spray, or if you dare (for extra flavor, too) a little butter. Turn over to cook on both sides. Cook to your preferred consistency (soft, just set, a little brown on each side, well done, whatever). Serve with a salad and enjoy! Even my kids like these but with spinach only.

I also love adding Kale to bean or vegetable soups. While it does wilt, it doesn't completely disintegrate like some other leafy greens, spinach being one of them.

Hope this helps.
  • rhonsal
    rhonsal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love kale and recently made it in to chinese style "crispy seaweed".

Place the kale on a baking tray in a hot oven and mix around every 5 minutes until it dries out and goes crispy - watch it carefully as it can burn really quickly!

Once crisp, but still warm, put in a bowl and sprinkle over 1 tsp brown sugar and 1tsp salt then mix, eat and enjoy! - worked out about 55 cals for a 100g portion

It's also reall nice in stirfries and soups as an alternative to cabbage!

Hope this helps!