Bicycling

bromokid1
bromokid1 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 18 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been having a very hard time deciding on what kind of excercise I can do to augment my dieting. I find myself unmotivated to stick to any. Recently, however, I dusted off my old bke and began riding. For the first time in a long time I think I have found an excercise I can stay consitantly motivated . I am riding about 10 miles per day at about a 8 mpg clip. Has anyone lost a good amount of weight using biking as their primary form of exercice?
:drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• bromokid1
    bromokid1 Posts: 3 Member
    I have been having a very hard time deciding on what kind of excercise I can do to augment my dieting. I find myself unmotivated to stick to any. Recently, however, I dusted off my old bke and began riding. For the first time in a long time I think I have found an excercise I can stay consitantly motivated . I am riding about 10 miles per day at about a 8 mpg clip. Has anyone lost a good amount of weight using biking as their primary form of exercice?
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Me!

Right now, I only ride, as it's easy on my knees and ankles. Also, I can't do a whole lot of weight training due to previous shoulder surgeries, so I ride about 5 days a week. I'm up to at least 10-18 miles when I go up and then one long ride each week. Yesterday was my longest so far--30 miles! I average about 12-13 miles an hour--but that took me 2 months to build up to that.

So far, I've lost 30 pounds in 7 weeks, and I have a little over 100 more to go.

I see you have diabetes, too--so do I. Since I've joined here in April and have been riding, I have been able (with doctor's approval) to cut my diabetes pills by half. And, my blood sugar levels are utterly fantastic! My long-term goal is to come off all meds by the time I'm down to a healthy weight.

Safe pedaling!

Oh-just weighed, so make that 32.5 pounds I've lost by bike riding!!!!!!! party0024.gif
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    I ride. I started back in the fall. I borrowed a bike from a friend to see if it would "take". LOVE IT! Last week I broke down and bought a Trek 7.2 fx. What a difference a good bike makes! I just got in this morning from a 14 mile ride. It does not even seem like exercise to me. I have lost 46 pounds over the last year, but I also do weight training and other forms of cardio at the gym a few times a week, plus a few classes here and there.

I went yesterday and bought my hubby the same bike I bought (only a bigger frame) for father's day. He has also been riding and is planning on saving on gas and riding to work a few days a week so I thought he needed a good bike. We enjoy riding together as well. I generally am an exercise by myself kind of chick but I really like riding with him.

Good luck on your ride!
This discussion has been closed.