Another Manti thread...

Options
oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
So was he....

A. Duped, not part of this at all. Just the victim of some souless person dragging his heart around.
B. Part of the weird charades, to hide the fact that he had an unrequited crush on the QB.

As much shady crap as I've seen in CFB recently, it saddens me that it's possible this was all some bizarre publicity stunt thought up by Notre Dame.

And at the same time, a lot of people get duped and Manti seems really "simple"

Replies

• Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There is a show called "Catfish" on MTV. It's about real people getting "duped" The local radio station has been talking about catfishing and they even had someone on their show that was in the middle of being catfished and didn't even know it. Look it up.

I heard there was a "photo" oh Manti and his g/f, but he then later stated they had never met, and that it was only talking, texting, e-mail, etc.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    It is such a weird story.
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    There is a show called "Catfish" on MTV. It's about real people getting "duped" The local radio station has been talking about catfishing and they even had someone on their show that was in the middle of being catfished and didn't even know it. Look it up.

I heard there was a "photo" oh Manti and his g/f, but he then later stated they had never met, and that it was only talking, texting, e-mail, etc.
    I guess to me it's not THAT out of the realm of possibility. Before I met my fiance we "dated" online for about 6 months. Before we physically met, I probably would have told people he was the "greatest guy I'd ever met".

But who knows. I'm quite cynical about college sports right now.
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't care. At all. What he does on the field is all that matters to me. I'd love to see him on my Titans!
  • DarthFalchion
    Options
    Nev is on it!
  • fit_spired_vicky
    Options
    Whos Manti?
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    But his father said he met the girl in Hawaii. So how was he duped if they had a face to face?

I could understand the whole "catfish" thing if it were just online.

There is more to this story than we will ever know.
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    Whos Manti?
    Manti Teo was the runner up in the Heisman this season. Plays for Notre Dame.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I can see someone being duped. Not ever meeting them because coincidentally their schedules don't match. But I know that if I was talking to a guy and then we decided we were going to meet up and he has to reschedule that is fine, but rescheduling like 3 times, it's not worth it. Ya know. There are signs. IMO.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    I can see someone being duped. Not ever meeting them because coincidentally their schedules don't match. But I know that if I was talking to a guy and then we decided we were going to meet up and he has to reschedule that is fine, but rescheduling like 3 times, it's not worth it. Ya know. There are signs. IMO.
    This is from an article I read today saying they DID meet ...

In a story that appeared in The South Bend Tribune on Oct. 12, Manti's father, Brian, recounted an anecdote about how his son and Kekua met after Notre Dame had played at Stanford in 2009. Brian Te'o also told the newspaper that Kekua had visited Hawaii and met with his son.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    B.

I know that there are some convincing people online. I have a difficult time believing that, while the relationship supposedly "grew" online that anyone trying to trick him was able to position a person for the initial meeting after a football game, and bank on him looking at her:

From Deadspin
    "Te'o and Kekua meet after Stanford's 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto, according to the South Bend Tribune: "Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te'o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes." Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te'o"

And then:
    "She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them" (South Bend Tribune). "They started out as just friends," Te'o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."

Anyway, the story fascinates me. And, I will admit that I really, really want Te'o to be the one who created this myth because I hate Notre Dame and anything that makes them look bad makes me happy. Playing the "victim card," is the only way he might be able to move on quickly - if everyone blanketly believes him about it... which no one seems willing to do, shockingly enough.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A.

I'm giving Manti the benefit of the doubt.

He could have lied to his father about how they met because he was embarrassed to admit how they actually met. He seems like a good guy and I doubt he'd make something like this up, trivializing all the hard work he's done to get to where he's gotten.

On another note, it's ridiculous how many people fake identities online for their own personal enjoyment. It's gotten to the point that I believe it should become an official disorder in the DSM-IV, if not already in the works. Yes, it's attention seeking behavior, but it leaves a wake of hurt and pain behind them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    If Manti made it up, then get ready for more personality disorders. I'm thinking this may be a ploy to win the Heisman through pity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    the other thing that i find odd, and not in Manti's favor, is that they (ND) said that they found out about this in mid/late december. Even if you want to say they kept it under wraps so the BCS title game didn't become a circus, they would have been better served to get in front of the story. If their player was victimized, then there should be nothing to hide. But clearly, they were trying to hide it.