Major NSV last!!!

Options
Let me preface this by saying that my boyfriend is in great shape. He’s in the army and he takes it pretty seriously. Pushups for him involve him doing them while he’s in a handstand or while wearing a 25lb weighted vest and holding 20-25lb dumbbells. Sometimes it’s hard to work out with him and not feel a bit inadequate. Last night I was planning on doing my work out later at night, glad that he was working out in the afternoon (there is just something about doing a workout DVD in front of someone that makes you a bit self-conscious). However, he let me know that he hadn’t had a chance to and planned to work out with me in the basement. I told him that if he did Jillian Michael’s 6 Week 6 Pack with me then I would be ok with it.

Well, I don’t think he knew that I was serious when I said he could use my other 5lb weights when I saw him pull out his 20lb dumbbells. He told me he would be fine and that he would do his work out after we were done. I started the DVD and it wasn’t long before I saw him switch the 20lbs for the 5lbs. After a quizzical look, he said “OK she’s got balls”. A bit later, I saw him slowing to take a breather. He made it until Jillian said “OK let’s take it from the top and we’re going to pick up the pace a bit. He was done.

He watched me continue for a bit before asking if I was on steroids and then went upstairs. The DVD finished and he came down to do a walk on the treadmill as I put in Ripped in 30. After I finished with my 719 calorie burn in 1:08 (according to my heart rate monitor). He told me that he wasn’t going to say it often but this time I won. On Saturday I plan to let him try again. I think, I’ll start him on 30 Day Shred. He said he doesn’t know why I don’t want him in the basement while I workout and I have nothing to be embarrassed about, he was admittedly impressed.

Honey, I love you but I will kick your *kitten* EVERY time!!! :heart:

Replies

• This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    yes Score one for the ladies!!
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love it! You go, girl!!

I had a similar situation when my husband and I were starting couch to 5k. He's thin and we both mistook that for being fit. I was nervous for him to go with me because i was afraid that he would get annoyed if I couldn't keep up. It was quite the opposite. I was jogging in place waiting for him to catch a breather. It was AWESOME!!!!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great!!
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love it! You go, girl!!

I had a similar situation when my husband and I were starting couch to 5k. He's thin and we both mistook that for being fit. I was nervous for him to go with me because i was afraid that he would get annoyed if I couldn't keep up. It was quite the opposite. I was jogging in place waiting for him to catch a breather. It was AWESOME!!!!

Haha. We tried running this summer. I go for distance, he goes for speed. He runs a 6 minute mile but then it never fails that I always end up passing him on the trail! All about endurance, not a race to the finish.
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! :)
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    LMAO! That is immense!!! Well done!
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Love this story!
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Outstanding!
  • RenArd86
    RenArd86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! My husbad tried a 30 day shred session with me once. He didn't make it very far. Made me feel pretty good because I was pretty heavy at the time and here he was skinny and couldn't get through it.
  • prophetessmom
    prophetessmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he might edge you out on the weight training (with weights only) but you kill him on the cross-training/aerobic stuff, with weights thrown in. Good for you! It's not all about how you look, it's sometimes about endurance, cardio and blood chemistry. Love to see the women celebrating their strength instead of always focusing on looks! Go, Ladies!!!!
  • whitleynoel
    Options
    Sounds like he might edge you out on the weight training (with weights only) but you kill him on the cross-training/aerobic stuff, with weights thrown in. Good for you! It's not all about how you look, it's sometimes about endurance, cardio and blood chemistry. Love to see the women celebrating their strength instead of always focusing on looks! Go, Ladies!!!!

He undoubtedly edges me out on weight training. I am just glad he finally sees the benefit of cardio/aerobics. I don't know that he toook it as seriously before. It's hard work!!!
  • Lizsullie
    Lizsullie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Haha, that's awesome :) Go you!!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I'll bet you felt GREAT! Woo hoo for you.
  • creimer08
    creimer08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can testify that he is fairly ripped.. But.... Whitley, you majorly hand me my butt every time we work out together! you go girl!
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    BeckyNaturoMommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    HAHA! That's AWESOME!!!
  • whitleynoel
    Options
    I can testify that he is fairly ripped.. But.... Whitley, you majorly hand me my butt every time we work out together! you go girl!

Haha you make me sound like the she-hulk!! Love you Cat :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!