school lunch

Options
I am a student who brings their lunch to school. I'm trying to find some sandwich ideas and other meals I can bring to school without having to heat up. I don't have a cooling lunchbox for my food.

Normally I wouldn't ask, but I've realized how many calories are in normal sandwiches, and I'd like to stick to my goal for daily caloric intake.

Any ideas?

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    when i was in beauty school, i bought this "salad to go" container thing and it was really neat. it has the part where you can put whatever you want on your salad( lettuce, spinach, nuts, chesse, tomatoes..etc) then that was the main container. on the lid it has a little thing where a fork is and another little compartment where you put the salad dressing, so the lettuce won't be all soggy from sitting in dressing all day. i think it was about like 5 dollars or so, but i got so tired of eating sandwiches everyday that i switched to that. you can also have it jsut to put cut of veggies and use the little container to have fat free ranch dip....oh i forgot to mention that underneath the lid has a freeze pak thing, so you pop that out of the freezer before you go and click it on the bottom of the lid and it keeps it cool
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    when i was in beauty school, i bought this "salad to go" container thing and it was really neat. it has the part where you can put whatever you want on your salad( lettuce, spinach, nuts, chesse, tomatoes..etc) then that was the main container. on the lid it has a little thing where a fork is and another little compartment where you put the salad dressing, so the lettuce won't be all soggy from sitting in dressing all day. i think it was about like 5 dollars or so, but i got so tired of eating sandwiches everyday that i switched to that. you can also have it jsut to put cut of veggies and use the little container to have fat free ranch dip....oh i forgot to mention that underneath the lid has a freeze pak thing, so you pop that out of the freezer before you go and click it on the bottom of the lid and it keeps it cool

That sounds cool! Where did you get it?!

~Leash :heart:
  • ccchick
    ccchick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try sandwich thins or Flat-out wraps instead of bread to save some calories.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese mixed with chopped cucumbers, tomatoes and a tsp of itailan dressing
    Yogurt, fruit
    you can get the Orowheat sandwich thins (100 calories) to make your sandwiches or put all of your fillings between lettuce or in flatbread.
    veggies (raw) with hummus
    a salad with cold grilled chicken and balsalmic vinegarette dressing
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    In response to the original post... you may want to think about getting a lunch pail, I have one that is foldable and it stretches so you can fit a lot of stuff! .. what about making wraps?! The tortilla can be less calories than 2 pieces of bread but there are low calorie breads, I know people have mentioned them here... good luck!

Oh and pb and honey is a pretty good option if you don't want to worry about the fridge.

• jenniferolg
    jenniferolg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I take my lunch every day too - here are some suggestions:
    Peanut butter with or without jelly on arnolds sandwich thins
    Fat free cheese with lettuce and tomatoes or even pickles with mustard on the sandwich thins or 35 cal bread
    Sliced cucumbers or zuchinni with bean dip
    Any sandwich filling wrapped in lettuce leaves
    Sometimes I like a trail mix with nuts, dried fruit, and pretzels - it is high in calories but it keeps well and really hits the spot when I am in a hurry and don't have a long time to eat.
    I like fruit cups and fat free pudding - both are good at room temperature but not jello or yogurt
    Apples, celery, baby carrots, most veggies or fruits are fine at room temperature
    Tuna lunch kits that come with crackers
    Sometimes I toss a ziplock baggy of ice in a plastic grocery bag even if I don't have an insulated bag
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I typically just bring salads in a big tupperware-type container. The trick that I usually have to keep the lettuce from getting wet is to put any dressing in the container first along with anything like nuts, craisins, vegetables that won't get soggy, etc. Then, cram the container full of your greens. When it comes time to eat, just take out a little bit of the greens to make some room in the container (put it on a plate or just hold it in your hand). Then, put the lid back on the container and give it a good couple of shakes to mix up the rest of the dressing with the greens that are still in the container. I don't have a problem with soggy greens this way.
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy eating 1 piece of whole wheat toast with 2 T peanut butter and a little ugar-free jam (I made my own, but you can get that at the store, I'm sure). Carrot on the side. The PB keep me really full and it satisfies my sweet tooth, too.

Guess that's kind of boring, but I LOVE it.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

That sounds cool! Where did you get it?!'

i got mine at alberston's....so since i paid about 9 dollars now that i think of it, its probably 5 somewhere else cause albertaons is expensive!!