Doing 5K in the winter??

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm new to "running" and to be honest, I don't run a lot....I alternate walking fast and jogging. And I really don't even like it, but it's a good bang for your buck to burn calories. I did my first 5K in the fall just to show myself I could do it. And even running/jogging, I did a little better than I thought I would. There's another one coming up in my town on the Superbowl and I want to try it, more for fun and to beat my personal best. BUT I'm in Chicagoland and I'm nervous about ice. I've heard there are shoe covers that help with traction in ice. Does anyone have a brand they recommend? Ice freaks me out and I once completely tore a thumb ligament slipping on ice and needed surgery to repair it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on shoe "accessories." :)

Replies

• pamperedbecky
    pamperedbecky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ** bump **

Any advice for doing a 5K if it's icy or snowy?? I already know it's going to be COLD.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't race if there is ice or snow. I will do an easy run in those conditions, but there is no way I'm going to race in those conditions. Far too risky.
  • dmkirk28
    dmkirk28 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't know about running in the winter but I AM in the same boat as you(I don't particularly like running) . I signed up for the Richmond 10K last year, trained for it and really didn't run after the race until now. I am again training for the race. I didn't run the whole thing but will try to run more this race :) Good Luck!
  • LisaR517
    Options
    I'm also registered for a 5K this Saturday in Bemidji, MN....we've recently had freezing rain and snow, and the forecast says it will be 2 below with wind chill. Fun. :S

Anyway....I was thinking about getting these:
    http://www.surefoot.net/products_ap.cfm
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k the morning of the super bowl last year. In Davis, CA. It was in the 40s, so it still was cold!

You CAN get traction devices, but the organizers should pick an ice-free route. Just think of the liability they are under for slip and fall.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'd wait until day of and do a last minute registration if the conditions allow.

I've run in a New Year's Eve Day race for the past two years. First year was awesome. Cold, but clear roads. This year there was a couple inches of snow on the ground and it was so slippery. People were falling all over the place, and I seriously questioned why I even attempted it. I love running in the cold weather but that will be the last time I run when the roads aren't clear.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I run in the winter a lot. It is usually cold here (colorado) but the ice is spotty and not consistent enough for traction devices.

When hiking or trail running in the mountains I use Kahtollah microspikes. They are far superior to competitors IMHO. http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

I have a couple hundred miles on mine, and they show no signs of giving out anytime soon.
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    dont bother with grips. unless there's a solid couple of inches of snow consistently everywhere, they will just hurt your feet. you can run on snow and ice without killing yourself, just keep an eye out and take shorter steps.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    there's over-the-shoe traction helpers called YakTracks (here in MI they're on sale at Costco for $20 :bigsmile: ) - here's the link: www.yaktrax.com... although the other posters are correct - the likelihood that there will be a lot of snow/ice during the race is pretty small...

good luck!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    races in the winter are usually done on smaller courses (I ran a half marathon a couple years ago in February that repeated the same 2.5km stretch over and over again) so that the roads are properly cleared. I run in the winter all the time (have another winter half marathon January 27th) and I don't usually use grippers unless there is significant new snowfall, usually I just spend more time watching my feet and, if it is too sloggy/icy on the sidewalk, running on the road. More important thing for winter is to make sure you learn how to properly layer so you aren't too cold and don't overheat.

Feel free to add or message me if you want more tips on winter running.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k the morning of the super bowl last year. In Davis, CA. It was in the 40s, so it still was cold!

40 is cold??

Personally, I would get any devices to run a 5K, but that could just be me.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options

40 is cold??

Personally, I would get any devices to run a 5K, but that could just be me.

For real :D I wear shorts & tee shirt to run down to around 20F