40 something ...on route to reclaim my fitness..any others?

Options
Hi...at age 41 trying to reclaim my health and fitness I had until until family life with kids got a bit too busy. Trying to lose 52 pounds...only 20 more to go!! Diligently managing my meals with high intensity cardio and weight training 7 days a week. Shedding pounds of fat and gaining lean muscle. Trying to bring about a health and wellness revolution for the whole family as well.

Have learned and achieved a lot along the way.

Welcome any one, especially 40 something interested in sharing experiences!

Thanks

Replies

• AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    First, great job on the weight loss already!
    I'm 45, 10 kilos (22lbs) overweight and lost my fitness along the path of having 2 kids and a full time job.
    Cutting carbs (so the family and I eat the same, they have a few carbs and I just don't eat that bit), portion control, and doing C25K. Lost nowhere near as much as you so far, but the fitness is coming back..
  • nylphia
    nylphia Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi, I'm 44 and about the same starting weight as you. I am so proud of you. Do you go to a gym? I am losing slowly which is find but I need motivation help with excercise. I HATE it but know the bennys and want to do more. Any tips???
  • majorbaka
    majorbaka Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just about scrape in at 49 with loads to lose and attempting regular gym session - please add me!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 47 and determined not to live the remaining years of my life inactive, unhealthy and unhappy with myself. I have a longer journey...about 70 - 80 lbs. I've lost 10 already through exercise and altering my diet. I am always looking for friends for support and laughs!
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Its been 2 months of solid disciplined eating, exercising and learning to say NO to food temptations. You feeling fit is part of the accomplishment. Keep up the routine...weight loss will follow.

Thanks
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    I'm 42 and lost 25 pounds so far. Have that dreaded 10 - 15 lbs to go. Finding it harder and harder and could always use the motivation and support. Also would love any new fun fun fun ways to get the cardio. Doing Zumba, bike, and treadmill now. Just started lifting cuz I need to tone and reshape. Suggestion and friend requests welcome. :-)
  • kapoorpk
    Options
    Congratulations for your success so far!! I am just about where you are in the process trying to get rid of the last few stubborn few pounds. I think the key at this stage of the process for continued success is to constantly challenge your body with some variations in your cardio routine. I use the arc trainer (in case you aren't aware, its basically a higher intensity elliptical) but increase its resistance, RPMs and the stride height every 4-6 days. As long as you body continues to get challenged, you will continue to lose those pounds.

The best way cardio that I recommend is the high intensity cardio training on an elliptical or an arc trainer where you alternate between medium level RPMs, resistance and higher level RPMs and resistance for 2 minutes (medium) and 3 minutes (high) and believe me pounds will start melting.

Also, weight training, at least major muscle groups can help. You can adopt one of the very well planned fitness plans on bodybuilding.com. Lee Labrada provides the best, in my opinion.

Lastly, you can also cut your food intake by 10% or so. I assume, with your success so far, you are already eating 3 major meals and smaller snacks at least 2 hours apart. You can just reduce it all across the board slightly.

As far as fun ideas, I think, you seem to have the lead on that with the Zumba, biking etc. The only other thing, listening to kids these days, could be fun are the video game workouts in WII or Xbox Kinect, but I prefer the experience I get on the arc trainer because it shows me results and results are motivating.

Keep going..you have accomplished something many struggle to...its progressive gains from this point on, just need to make some small adjustments....good job so far!! Keep it up!!!
  • kapoorpk
    Options
    Hi, I'm 44 and about the same starting weight as you. I am so proud of you. Do you go to a gym? I am losing slowly which is find but I need motivation help with excercise. I HATE it but know the bennys and want to do more. Any tips???

Thank you! Yes, I work out 7 days a week with a disciplined approach around my food plan. Your food intake is the greatest source of losing pounds. If you gradually reduce the food intake to 40-45 carbs a meal, minimal fats, and take small snacks 2-3 hours between your major meals, you would start seeing a difference. Beyond that even if you spend 30 minutes 4 times a week on an elliptical or an inclined treadmill, it will add more to the pound burn.

If in doubt or finding losing motivation, just picture the alternative of not being healthy....potentially needing increased medical attention earlier in life for a longer period of time at a cost of not being able to fully enjoy your valuable family moments to their fullest. If you refuse to accept such a future, you will not turn back from working out giving yourself and your family the best of yourself.

You can do it...go to a gym, the environment will also help you get charged up...take your favorite music or watch your favorite show on tv while being on the elliptical and 30 minutes will fly by.

Good Luck!!!
  • kapoorpk
    Options
    Hi! I am 47 and determined not to live the remaining years of my life inactive, unhealthy and unhappy with myself. I have a longer journey...about 70 - 80 lbs. I've lost 10 already through exercise and altering my diet. I am always looking for friends for support and laughs!

Hi! congratulations on your success so far!! Keep up with it and you will be there before you know it. I especially commend your attitude. I share the same sentiment, refusing to not be fit, thus, in pursuit of reclaiming the point in time I was rather fit.

You have the right attitude....you will do great!! Enjoy!
  • preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 42. I've been on here for a couple of months and have lost 8 lbs already. I still have a ways to go. I am in Week 7 of Turbo Fire and have started to incorporate weight training into my workouts so that when I reach my GW I don't have any loose skin flapping about. Feel free to add me anyone...just let me know which message board you saw me on.

Calorie counting is what works for me. Thank goodness for MFP!
  • rafiki2013
    rafiki2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    47 and heading slowly in the right direction but its a lifetimegoal for me as opposed to a diet plan. So speed can be slow as long as i continue to stay focused and motivated. Great job on yourweight loss!
  • demmy2012
    demmy2012 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 45, always looking for ways to keep weight off me. It's been an intense and determined journey, I have 22 pounds to go. Walking is my main exercise, I go on treadmill and I religiously count my calories. These have helped me in my journey of keeping fit and healthy. I love my MFP friends cos we encourae, motivate, advice and praise each other which is part of what we all need to achieve our goals.
    Wishing everyone best success stories ever :-)
  • tyler2go
    Options
    Hi , I am 45 . I have seriously tracked my progress for a little over two weeks. I have lost 13 pounds out of my 80 lb goal. My goal with exercise is to add a new activity each week. I am learning what exercises I enjoy and what I just tolerate. I have found introducing new activities removes the monotony, I started by walking on my lunch break (a brisk walk) 20 to 30 minutes a day, then I introduced the elliptical machine. You can walk and sprint then walk (your body will really respond). I try to go to the gym 3 times a week (for about an hour). I once hated the elliptical but I stuck with it because I was determined my mind can over power my body....and it did. I then introduced climbing stairs on my breaks. ...which seems to melt away pounds. Next week I plan on doing some suicides at the basketball court. These really work and it is a challenge trying to complete the entire court. Try racquetball or hand ball. If the kids have a game system there is a collection of sports fitness games and it is fun to see your numbers tracked. You can purchase an aerobic video/disk. I like Denise Austin because she is easy to follow. Until you get use to the moves remember just ...keep moving. If you like to dance there are dancing inspired games for gaming systems. I like playing my music and dancing while I do laundry. Gardening is another activity many people overlook but it works many muscles. These are some ideas ..........when you notice the changes in your body that will be your motivation. Well I have been down this road before NOW I just have to stick to these life changes. If you have family invite them , include them and they will follow or if you would rather have this time for yourself establish that from the beginning.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi...at age 41 trying to reclaim my health and fitness I had until until family life with kids got a bit too busy. Trying to lose 52 pounds...only 20 more to go!! Diligently managing my meals with high intensity cardio and weight training 7 days a week. Shedding pounds of fat and gaining lean muscle. Trying to bring about a health and wellness revolution for the whole family as well.

Thanks
    I am also in my 40s. I am also trying to lose 52 lbs (although I have lost 2 lbs, I have 52 to go). It's so much harder than it used to be back in the day. It seems now the slightest things, I am so sensitive too like wheat, grains, diet coke, sugar. I used to have NO PROBLEMS with anything, now I have to be so careful. I have been a person who has worked out my entire adult life and now suddenly it takes all week of really, really trying super hard to lose 1 lb. If I have one day of pigging out (1 slip up and the pound and maybe two are back). :(

**If anyone here is interested in being a friend, I would like that. I am fairly new here. I added one friend a week ago and I can't believe how motivating it is to have someone there, because if SHE is losing weight and being good (as I see on the news feed) then it makes ME want to do it. When SHE loses a pound, I want to show HER THAT *I* can also lose a lb. I guess it's a competition thing (in a fun way) but it really works for me. Lori
  • cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Long time lurker first time poster.....I just turned 40 and found myself not where I wanted to be size wise. I found the app and have stuck to it for the past few months. Lost a bit of weight pretty quickly and I am shooting for about another 20 lbs. or so. Looking for any friends who like motivation. Workout 3-4 times a week (weights/cardio) found my weight loss slowing a bit and I am not sure if it was because of all the weight training I do or my body using less calories now because of my lower calorie intake. I had to kick the scale in the closet for a week because I was getting obsessive about it. Losing a couple notches in the ole belt is telling me I am on the right track. Good luck in your weight loss.....anyone feel free to add me!
  • AlbertOakaTREE
    Options
    Hi I am on exactly the same path. Up until about 10 years ago I always stayed in shape. Then family and career got in the way. I started just over a week ago. Baby steps for now but I'm loving it.
  • sjh2013
    sjh2013 Posts: 29
    Options

Thanks
    You're doing great. I'm 42, I have lost about 15 kilos and have achieved my weight goal in a year since I joined fitnesspal. Recently I have a good appetite and always eat much more than I've planed to. So I have to do more exercises than I wanted to. Anyone have suggestions about how to keep my weight without any effort?