Thighs are killing me

Options
Remember I just began doing work outs on Tuesday for the first time in a long time. I found something I am comfortable with on Youtube. It is a 30 minute beginners total body workout (aerobics). On Tuesday I was only able to get through 15 minutes of it. Yesterday I pushed myself to finish the full 30, I am very proud of myself. However, this morning my thighs are hurting my. I did the complete cool down and stretching at the end of the video but I want to know if there is something you can do so that they will not hurt the next morning? I know I am new to it again, I guess it should hurt. I just don't want it to prevent me from getting through the entire video again. Can anyone give me any ideas? I will push through this video, pain and all. just curious.

Replies

• MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi.

Firstly well done on trying it! Let me tell you, i have been doing DVDS and classes on and off for 2 years and i can say i stil hurt the next day, i always see it as ive pushed myself and its working. Most people will tell you it doesnt matter if you cant do exactly what theyre showing you as long as you push yourself and what you can do. You really dont have to manage all of it, just keep moving and slowly you will be able to manage the moves and make it to the end much easily, and when that happens, its time to find another programme/dvd etc! :) good luck
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Stretch and Make sure to drink lots of water. That should help with the sorness.
  • cesereda
    Options
    Does anyone think that putting a heat pad on them will help? I have actually located one of my heat pads and I am thinking of using one of them on my thighs after the workout this morning.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think that putting a heat pad on them will help? I have actually located one of my heat pads and I am thinking of using one of them on my thighs after the workout this morning.

a heating pad may help. what part of your thigh hurts, front or back?

When I first started lifting, I was REALLY sore...like limping for 3 days sore. The second or third time it happened, I went in to the trainer and asked him if the fire in my thighs ( specifically my quads--front of my thighs) would ever go out. He advised me to start stretching ( I hadn't been) and showed me where there was a chart of flexibility for strength training. No matter what I do, I never am sore for more than an hour or so...
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm in a constant state of some kind of soreness. Take some IBProfin and get back at it!
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Careful with the heating pad, ice might actually be better. Other things to help with sore muscles:

-WATER WATER WATER! It flushes out the lactic acid that makes you sore
    -Ibuprofen: brings down the swelling of your tired/sore muscles. I don't take it regularly, only on my particularly rough days. But it really helps.
    -Epsom Salt Bath
    -Stretching/Moving. The more stationary you are, the more your muscles will stiffen up.
    -Potassium: Try eating some foods that are higher in potassium, it helps with muscle cramping. Avacadoes, bananas, etc.
  • CAREYEMILY
    CAREYEMILY Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The worst thing you can do is to NOT push through it! The more you sit still, the worse it will feel. If you go for a walk, strectch, or do some other light cardio you will feel better!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. This happens to everyone! you are pushing yourself hard and your body isnt used to it yet, but there is no need to worry. As far as the pain, I'd take a break today and give your body a rest, BUT stretch and walk around as much as you can.Take some advil or other painkiller and the heating pad will most likely soothe your muscles a bit. Hit it hard the next day!
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think water and stretching is key!!! also make sure you are doing the moves correctly.. My first week or two of insanity my legs were killing me.. it will get better with time.. keep it up!!!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you warmup and cool down, I think you are preventing the worst of any possible damage but at the same time you are still working muscles that haven't been used in such a manner for quite a while.
    I still ache when I do yoga, or walking for a long time, because my body isn't used to it on a regular basis.
    Personally, I actually quite like aching (but not excessively) because I know that means I've used those muscles. Makes me feel like I've done something right.
    That's probably not a good attitude to have, but I'd be worried if I did exercises I wasn't used to and didn't feel something the next day.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness is quite normal, and implies that you're pushing yourself, which is what will ultimately get you results, but if it is preventing you from completing subsequent workouts it could stall your progress.

You may want to try switching to a different workout every other day, or schedule a rest day once or twice a week.

So if you do this particular workout on Monday, maybe do a yoga or pilates workout on Tuesday, and go back to the first workout on Wednesday. Or go for a long walk instead. Changing up your workouts could help you avoid fatigue.

Good luck!
  • cesereda
    Options
    I'm in a constant state of some kind of soreness. Take some IBProfin and get back at it!

Thanks, I just happen to have a brand new bottle of 100 IBProfin and just took two.
  • cesereda
    Options
    Muscle soreness is quite normal, and implies that you're pushing yourself, which is what will ultimately get you results, but if it is preventing you from completing subsequent workouts it could stall your progress.

You may want to try switching to a different workout every other day, or schedule a rest day once or twice a week.

So if you do this particular workout on Monday, maybe do a yoga or pilates workout on Tuesday, and go back to the first workout on Wednesday. Or go for a long walk instead. Changing up your workouts could help you avoid fatigue.

Good luck!

Thanks, I have already been walking, I do that everyday, It has not usually caused me too much muscle pain. I will take your advice and find another workout to do every other day. Thanks for the advice. :happy:
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    They will hurt for awhile. Just keep at it. I know the exact pain you are feeling. Jillian michaels 30 day shred did that to me.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That sore feeling makes me smile when I get up in the morning - means I did something different and my body's adapting!
    I'm lucky enough to have a hot tub so that's what I soak in when my muscles get sore (I did 35 min of jump rope last night, so my calves are begging for a good hot tub tonight!)
  • cesereda
    Options
    Careful with the heating pad, ice might actually be better. Other things to help with sore muscles:

-WATER WATER WATER! It flushes out the lactic acid that makes you sore
    -Ibuprofen: brings down the swelling of your tired/sore muscles. I don't take it regularly, only on my particularly rough days. But it really helps.
    -Epsom Salt Bath
    -Stretching/Moving. The more stationary you are, the more your muscles will stiffen up.
    -Potassium: Try eating some foods that are higher in potassium, it helps with muscle cramping. Avacadoes, bananas, etc.

Thank you, I do eat a banana every day, and I take a multi vitamin. I changed to a different work out but it also had squats, and I really felt the burn today. I will be fine. Push, Push, Push. I need to work hard. I will continue to stay active all day. I have been doing that because I want to take at least 10,000 steps a day. I walk twice a day, one moderate with my dogs and one brisk by myself. Thank you for your advice. I am taking a bit from everyone who responded. :happy:
  • cspotbelle
    cspotbelle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I suffer brutal DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) when I do lunges/squats and what work for me are a warm epsom soak...not hot, just warm and RECOVERY TIME. When you're new to a program or getting back into things after a long break, rest and recovery are VERY important. One of the worst things for motivation is to do too much too soon and render yourself unable to get back into things. There is nothing wrong with giving yourself a sufficient break between workouts - when I'm freshly back into things, I take anywhere from 1 to 3 days between workouts depending on how my body feels. You can employ 'active rest' as well in the form of walking your dog(s) and a moderate pace to keep the blood flowing...and hydration of course as others have suggested. Stick with it but don't run yourself into the ground! :-)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for years and still experience DOMS. The only thing I do is give it time. I usually need 48 hours between any kind of hard core leg workouts.
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My thighs are seriously dying as well. I lifted on Tuesday and yesterday they were unbelievably horrible ahahah especially walking up stairs or crouching down (burn!) They always go away in a day or 2 though and you have to just work through it. It does get better the more I lift weights, it just really flares up when I do an intense workout or increase my weights!
  • cesereda
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I am great, I pushed through a TaeBo vidio this morning and then took the dogs for a walk. Funny though, my husband said he would go with me if we went to the park instead of just walking through our subdivision. We ended up hiking through the park for 2.5 miles up and down hills on the trails even doing stairs when they came up. Thats my work out for the day and I feel really good. Yes my thighs hurt going down the hills and down the stairs, not so much going up. I do not feel like I am running myself into the ground and I plan a day off on Saturday. I will soak tonight in the salts, thanks for that tip. You have all helped me so much. I do not know how to thank you. THANKS EVERYONE YOU ARE ALL GREAT!:happy: :love: :flowerforyou: