This really sucks!

Options
I was doing so well with my weight loss and then...I guess you could say I hit a wall. I stopped coming onto MFP and my progress stopped. I've been eating all the wrong foods and I am so ready to get back on track but I may need some motivation and tips on staying motivated. Can anyone help me out?

Replies

• sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    The best thing you can do for yourself in terms of motivation is to make a list of WHY you want to lose weight. Include only those things that you can't or aren't doing/achieving now. For example, many people list they want to be around for their kids. But you're already the kids, so that isn't a motivator. A better example would be that you want to fit into coach seats on the airplane (if it's a painful squeeze right now) or that you want to be able to tie your shoelaces without holding your breath (because you have to hold your breath to do it now). As some of these goals are realized, you will need to modify your list to make new goals or remind yourself of why you want to maintain your weight. Read over your list whenever you are feeling unmotivated.
  • Thank you, I'll definitely try that.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    This is what I placed on my Profile Why...:

You Can Be Whatever You Want To Be!
    by: Donna Levine

There is inside you
    All of the potential
    To be whatever you want to be;
    All of the energy
    To do whatever you want to do.
    Imagine yourself as you would like to be,
    Doing what you want to do,
    And each day, take one step
    Towards your dream.
    And though at times it may seem too
    difficult to continue,
    Hold on to your dream.
    One morning you will awake to find
    That you are the person you dreamed of,
    Doing what you wanted to do,
    Simply because you had the courage
    To believe in your potential
    And to hold on to your dream.

Sweetie, try not to think about it too much...get dressed immediately, walk/run or dance...anything, just keep moving. Plan every meal, snack, and replenish your protein after every workout...this is a new lifestyle...not a temp fix,
    so tell yourself, "Self, I love you...this may hurt a little bit, but I love you enough to love you!"
  • thank you (=
  • asm2260
    asm2260 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is what I placed on my Profile Why...:

You Can Be Whatever You Want To Be!
    by: Donna Levine

There is inside you
    All of the potential
    To be whatever you want to be;
    All of the energy
    To do whatever you want to do.
    Imagine yourself as you would like to be,
    Doing what you want to do,
    And each day, take one step
    Towards your dream.
    And though at times it may seem too
    difficult to continue,
    Hold on to your dream.
    One morning you will awake to find
    That you are the person you dreamed of,
    Doing what you wanted to do,
    Simply because you had the courage
    To believe in your potential
    And to hold on to your dream.

Sweetie, try not to think about it too much...get dressed immediately, walk/run or dance...anything, just keep moving. Plan every meal, snack, and replenish your protein after every workout...this is a new lifestyle...not a temp fix,
    so tell yourself, "Self, I love you...this may hurt a little bit, but I love you enough to love you!"

VER WELL SAID......
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Having your eye on the final prize is motivating, but I've found that making a list of the immediate rewards I get from healthy eating habits and exercise keeps me motivated more. For instance: I sleep better when I go to the gym, and my tummy likes me more when I've had enough water. I love the fresh look my skin gets when I've had a few days of good eating, and when I avoid excessive sugar and flour products, I wake up feeling more refreshed and less sluggish. These are some of the things I keep on a list whose finish line is not months (or years) in the future. These are the very real prizes I get to take home every day I choose to make the right choices where my body is concerned. Keep you chin up!
  • Having your eye on the final prize is motivating, but I've found that making a list of the immediate rewards I get from healthy eating habits and exercise keeps me motivated more. For instance: I sleep better when I go to the gym, and my tummy likes me more when I've had enough water. I love the fresh look my skin gets when I've had a few days of good eating, and when I avoid excessive sugar and flour products, I wake up feeling more refreshed and less sluggish.
    thanks that does motivate me, i'm pretty sick of my body not liking me for what i put it through! lol
  • becca09
    becca09 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a book, its just a scrapbook really that i call my weight loss book. it has a picture of me when i first started (in jan) and it says my goal weight and my starting weight. when i am feeling low and think about reaching for a lot of bad food i look in the book first. it stops me from eating bad foods.
    i also have a dress in my goal size.i have it in my bedroom hanging on the outside of my wardrobe so i see it daily. Also there are some shorts i saw that i loved ( http://www.chicksrule.co.uk/product/ive_got_the_scoop_womens_boxers/108 )
    i have never worn shorts and felt comfortable in them so it is a big thing for me to have some shorts i love, i have them in my goal size too and i have them on show so i see them daily. i cannot wait to wear them so it pushes me to lose more.
  • hmm...a weight loss book sounds like an interesting way to stay motivated. I could also put my new motivation list in there (= ....oh and i've never felt comfortable in shorts either and the thought of a bathing suit freaks me out! lol