excersising while sick?

Options
Ok. So I'm really sick and I have the worst sore throat! Should I still excercise or not? Is it healthy to excercise while sick?
Thanks!

Replies

• Granny2b
    Granny2b Posts: 91
    Options
    I wouldnt just take acouple of days rest and get better soon X:flowerforyou:
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    Hmmm...I never workout while I'm sick. And if I did attempt to workout, then it wouldn't be anything strenuous. It's probably best to just get better - you can workout later, but you need to be at 100%.
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    Depending how sick I'd say no... But drink OJ with Emergen-C in it I usually use Raspberry Emergen-C...
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    That's entirely up to you....If you feel up to it, go for it.....I do and usually fell better after.....But if I have a sinus infection or having a hard time breathing then I'll take a rest day or two or three.... If you have the flu, I would recommend it. Here is a link to a blog on Prevention.com about exercising while sick.
    http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/tips-for-success/should-i-exercise-while-sick/article/e75e72e50d803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

Feel Better.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Personally I think your body makes you feel so crappy so you will rest and recover. Missing a couple of days won't hurt you but spreading your germs to others if your a gym member may hurt them. Rest, drink plenty of fluids and take care of yourself. Your body will thank you.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. Everyone has to decide for themselves how bad they feel. I cut my workout in half just to keep from falling totally off the wagon.

I think I'm on the rebound from my sickness. I tried to keep drinking water and get some extra rest. I went home from work Friday afternoon and took a 2 hour nap. Then slept in a bit the next morning (1 hr extra). Then last night I slept in about 2 hrs later than normal.

I feel lots better today. Hopefully I can be 100% soon.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/starve-cold-feed-fever
    Starve a Cold, Feed a Fever?
    Do you starve a cold and feed a fever when you're feeling under the weather? Or is it the other way around? Good news -- starving is never the correct answer.

Take care and get well.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's all a matter of how you feel. I've found that MOST of the time when I'm sick, a light workout will make me feel better. Sweating makes me feel better - I'm pretty sure it helps flush out some of the toxins that are making you sick. But that's up to you. If you feel like it, go for it (just make it a lighter workout)! If not, take a break and let your body rest. Just make sure you listen to what your body says and you should be fine!
  • andy_drouin
    andy_drouin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat today. I decided to rest for most of the day and then went for a walk. The fresh air really helped me feel better, but I don't think I would be up for any more then that.

Rest up, feel better and don't push yourself too far.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have read in a fitness magazine that you shoudn't . Your body will only focus on your sickness and not your muscles. Give your body time to adjust and get healthy again.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am on day 4 of being sick and I don't think I would be able to keep up good breathing to be able to exercise at any level and don't want to get anyone else at the gym sick.
  • chelsinicole
    Options
    I recently caught mono, and i worked out even though the doctor said no physical activity, it was not worth it. Trust me, just take some time and get better and come back strong(:
  • TammyGra
    TammyGra Posts: 8
    Options
    I have read that if you have a fever you definitely should not exercise - can damage your heart if you go to hard or have a bad virus - err on the cautious side and rest a bit.
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I always go with how I feel, but I find that sometimes just moving (like a walk), nothing too strenuous. I find that if I am congested that a little aerobic activity can help the breathing. Just don't overdo.
  • gillian_gail
    Options
    I have worked out while I was sick and I don't really recommend it. I suppose it really depends on how you feel. I'm always down for a good stretch, so even when I'm super sick I'll do some good stretching. Plus if you're dealing with any kind of muscle aches while sick, I've noticed that it helps me a lot.