Any Irish people here? :)

Options
13»

Replies

• siobhandologhan
    Options
    Born in england, before moving to Ireland to live...then moved to Malta and now back in England. Colour me confused ;-) But my parents are from Leitrim and Cavan. I suppose I count...

Newbie to all this...hints and tips gratefully received!
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Not irish although i have some irish ancestry... Living in roscommon and im married to a galway man.
  • siobhandologhan
    Options
    hi im from westmeath,finding it hard to find genuine irish
    it seems alot of people on here think that if there great grandfathers brothers dog was irish
    that makes them irish
    feel free to add me anyone from ireland

Be interested to see how you would classify me then my parents are from Galway most of the family are back there now but geographical misfortune meant I was born in the England, growing up in the 70's here we didn't mix outside of the Irish community as we were all labeled terrorists so I never felt English. I had the same good Irish catholic upbringing as my cousins but I have an English:happy: accent.
    Genuinely interested how people outside my family view this :smile:

Similar to mine then...
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    it seems alot of people on here think that if there great grandfathers brothers dog was irish
    that makes them irish

Ahh bless us, here's one lookin down his Irish nose at the others. His Irish is the only Irish, and all those that came before don't tally.
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    that makes them irish

Be interested to see how you would classify me then my parents are from Galway most of the family are back there now but geographical misfortune meant I was born in the England, growing up in the 70's here we didn't mix outside of the Irish community as we were all labeled terrorists so I never felt English. I had the same good Irish catholic upbringing as my cousins but I have an English accent.

So your a plastic paddy then!
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    that makes them irish

Sorry my great great grandparents decided to come to America instead of starving to death, it didn't help that they were protestants. On the bright side the family has kept the heritage and I had the honor visiting in 2005.

Edit to say my family is from Counties Tipperary and Clare.
  • gvdoliver
    gvdoliver Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    yep but live in Manchester UK. Grew up in Co. Dublin and Co. Kilkenny
  • Live_To_Kayak
    Options
    I was born on St. Patrick's day, does that count?
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    that makes them irish

Be interested to see how you would classify me then my parents are from Galway most of the family are back there now but geographical misfortune meant I was born in the England, growing up in the 70's here we didn't mix outside of the Irish community as we were all labeled terrorists so I never felt English. I had the same good Irish catholic upbringing as my cousins but I have an English:happy: accent.

Similar to mine then...

Yup and you would be surprised how many people would expect us bob around somewhere out in the middle of the Irish sea fitting in nowhere :laugh:
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    that makes them irish

Be interested to see how you would classify me then my parents are from Galway most of the family are back there now but geographical misfortune meant I was born in the England, growing up in the 70's here we didn't mix outside of the Irish community as we were all labeled terrorists so I never felt English. I had the same good Irish catholic upbringing as my cousins but I have an English accent.

More a cardboard culchie :wink:
  • elkeefo
    Options
    hi there, I live just outside Belfast
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    that makes them irish

More a cardboard culchie :wink:

Must be dub talk... no one talks like that in the west
  • dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm born in the US ... but I have LOADS of Irish ancestors on both sides ... although mine goes way back as they were ones that emigrated centuries ago ... but still kept up the spirit. One of these days ... I'll get to visit. Right now ... all I can *TRULY* say is ... I'm 3rd generation California born and bred.

That doesn't count, though.

:laugh:
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Of Irish descent and went there in March. Loved the south and west areas! Cork, Kerry, Bunratty, Killarney, Galway. Beautiful country and people. I'm a Wisconsinite.

Hi there! I'm also a Wisconsinite! :smile:
    OP: I am also a Mutt. My great grandparents were Flanagans, so there is a bit of Irish in there. But more Swedish than anything. And then English, Cherokee, Polish and maybe a little more. :laugh:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish. My great grandparents came from Ireland. They were Dewars and Mahanays. I'm also Scots Irish, French, German, Swedish and Cherokee. My poor kids are all of those and Italian. American mutts I suppose. :smooched:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Scottish here, but LOVED Dublin. Howth, and Dalkey (sp?) Would go back in a heartbeat. Beautiful country, beautiful people, food was amazing, and whiskey shots thanks to Jameson at 10am = winning =) I am also a certified whiskey taster as a result!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Of Irish decent, Kilkenny county. Some distant relatives still there according the family tree.

But I'm just some schmuck american from chicago.
  • hopefuldoll
    hopefuldoll Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm Irish, from the home of hurling - Kilkenny.
    Just joined here and would love support in getting to my target.
  • karenk89
    karenk89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Dublin girl here. Feel free to add me :)
  • TLCorsini
    TLCorsini Posts: 78
    Options
    Got about 70% western Irish in me!! Always thought it was Italian but I was wrong lol